Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 10:50   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Skeptical about teak sealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
Snip/
The gray is bug poop from eating teak oil.
Snip/.

That's certainly graphic and entertaining but not fully correct. It's the chemistry of the wood with iron and a few other things that can produce oxides. And while there may be iron in mold, the bug of choice here, it's even more prevalent in dirt. It's everywhere. But the oil products do attract dirt even if they have biocides added.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-09-2016, 10:56   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Skeptical about teak sealer

For Teak do not use any paint or cleaners. Saltwater and a soft brush is what you want
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:08   #18

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy98245 View Post
Then I finish with Semco. This lasts about one year in the PNW. I get lots of compliments from other boaters.

It lasts about 2 months in Florida. I agree though, simple to apply and fast.

We got a lot of compliments on ours but next time I would use the natural instead of the darker color we did.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 13:39   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We have been using Star Brite Natural Light Teak Sealer on our cockpit teak for many years with good success here in southwest Florida.

It does require a re-coat at about 6 month intervals here but goes on quickly and easily and between coats can be cleaned easily with soapy water and a soft brush or cleaning pad.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 14:42   #20

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We have been using Star Brite Natural Light Teak Sealer on our cockpit teak for many years with good success here in southwest Florida.

It does require a re-coat at about 6 month intervals here but goes on quickly and easily and between coats can be cleaned easily with soapy water and a soft brush or cleaning pad.

FWIW...

Second that. I use it on my teak toerails. After the initial clean (Zuds - contains Oxalic Acid) and soft brush, I applied two coats. Starts to look a little patchy after 9months or so in Texas - just needs a good wash and an extra coat. Very quick.

Sent from mTalk
Old 02-11-2016, 23:22   #21

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNordstrom View Post
Hi,
I'm a skeptic when it comes to teak cleaners , etc. I've used a lot of stuff that didn't work. So, against my better judgement I tried Snappy Teak on the teak deck of my Krogen 44. I followed directions, used a 3M mild scrubb pad, and worked my butt off. Amazingly it worked well. Teak looks great.
Now how do I keep it that way,at least for as long as possible.
Snappy says they have a clear non darkening sealer, good for maybe a year...but they don't sell it in the US.
Snappy in the US says to try a Semco product. I's seen some Semco before and I don't like the bleached out look. I'm skeptical.
Where the heck can I buy the Snappy sealer, or something that won't darken the teak,anybody know?
Some experianced advice would be appreciated.
Ray
Picture says it all I think - Semco.
We typically get a full season from one application, but have not now treated for two seasons.
All we do in between is wash with freshwater and cover over (does not keep totally dry - just shades and keeps the worst off) late July to early May when we are back in the real world.
Definitely needs another coat when we return next year (some areas looking just a little grey), but that only takes a couple of hours.
We use 'Naturaltone' at the moment. Only thing I don't like is that the black caulking colours a little. When we eventually strip to re-do in a few years time, we will try 'Cleartone' (about half the colour/pigment).

Hope that helps,

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Te Anau Deck - Tunisia June 2015.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	134765  
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:56   #22

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Another vote for semco. Easy to apply and reapply...

Tags
cal, teak