Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2019, 06:49   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Siphon hose for diesel and gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Looks like they went out of business? The web site doesn't exist anymore. I'm happy if it works for you, but as others have mentioned, it's easy enough to achieve the same without the fancy lid that only fits on that type of can. So no wonder they didn't sell many. And if the hint in the ad is correct, they wanted $40 for it? Seriously?

The ad is so ridiculous, it's almost funny:
  • Why do I not have to go to the fuel dock anymore? Is the syphon hose long enough to reach there?
  • Why do I save $1 per gallon using this "invention"? Do people on average spill a quarter of all the fuel in the can?
  • What's a "carb solution" ? Google thinks it's some diet...

Heinz--

In California at the time the device was conjured up, diesel fuel at a gas station/truck stop was substantially less costly than diesel fuel from a marine fueling station, hence it became fairly common for thrifty folks to refuel their boats from jerry cans with fuel obtained at a truck stop. I suspect the same may be the case at the present time but cannot attest to that. We now live on the southwest coast of Florida but still carry 3 5-gallon fuel jugs for refueling when needed on long passages and the Puff Siphon makes that a much easier process when under way. One need not even rely on the siphon effect of the device. One can leave the fuel cans on the cockpit floor, run the fuel line to the fill port, and plug the end of one's dinghy foot-pump into the "Puff" hose and lightly pressurize the fuel jug which lifts the fuel up and into the fuel fill. No fuss, no muss and no spilled fuel to deal with.

Regarding the fuel caps, the size (in the US) is/or was an industry standard so I have not yet found a can the siphon won't fit.

The original vendor, Svensons Marine, was purchased and has relocated to Richmond so the old web-site for the Siphon may not direct one to the correct locale. The new store information is at https://www.svendsens.com/ and I suspect Puff Siphons are still available.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 07:10   #17

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Heinz--

Regarding the fuel caps, the size (in the US) is/or was an industry standard so I have not yet found a can the siphon won't fit.

The original vendor, Svensons Marine, was purchased and has relocated to Richmond so the old web-site for the Siphon may not direct one to the correct locale. The new store information is at https://www.svendsens.com/ and I suspect Puff Siphons are still available.

FWIW...

I certainly wish them the best of luck! Couldn't find the thing on svendsens either, but then again, that site doesn't have a search function or shows any products they sell, let alone prices. All they have is a bunch of logos? Fine with me if they are a walk-in chandlery...

Re standards, someone in this thread mentioned NATO jugs, well, I got a few of those as well. No thread on them, sorry.

May I ask how much you paid for yours?

EDIT: I just realised, these "savings" are the difference between marina and ordinary fuel stations? Oh dear, that's so far fetched, I just didn't get it, sorry.
So my point was, why can't you use any of the other syphon techniques like using a rag, rather than this product? It's not about where you buy your diesel, it's how you get it into the tank.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 14:31   #18

Boat: Freedom 38

This is what I used. Absolutely amazing and sucks all but about 1/2 cup from a 5-gal diesel jug.

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Pump-O...27156304&psc=1
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 20:33   #19

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
This is what I used. Absolutely amazing and sucks all but about 1/2 cup from a 5-gal diesel jug.

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Pump-O...27156304&psc=1

Yes, I got a similar one and the red plastic one as well. Starting the siphoning is not always easy though and not helped by them bending in the canister.

Guess I'll have to store them in a bigger loop somehow to reduce the bend.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 11:20   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

CARB is something like California Air Resource Board. They regulate air quality things in Cali. And, in order for gas cans, filler devices, etc. to be sold in all 50 states, they must be EPA *and* CARB approved.

The CARB standards apparently require the filler neck to be sealed against vapor emissions except while in use, so a simple our spout is no longer legal. And genuine NATO gasoline cans (obsoleted by plastic now anyway) with the NATO spout, are hard to find because they're also not CARB approved.

It would be easier for everyone if the oil refineries just stopped shipping gasoline to California.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 11:57   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

CARB, building better methods of spilling fuel
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 17:04   #22

I haven't found a replacement hose yet, but I think something is wrong with the shaker at the end. I've just been using hte blow into the jerry can and push it out the other side method. Thanks everyone for the assistance.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 09:09   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

NATO jerry cans, spouts, and racks are on Amazon. I prefer them to plastic cans, and they cost about the same. A spare fuel line from an outboard is a siphon with a squeeze bulb priming pump in the middle.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 10:09   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Jerry cans, Really? What do you do about the rust?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 13:35   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

AFAIK there are only two merchants on Amazon selling the genuine (made in the EU to NATO spec) jerry cans. Can plus spout will be about $80, twice the price of many decent plastic jugs.

a64-
Rust is mainly a concern if you're using them tied to the rail above deck. If you are just using them for fuel transport (gas or diesel) from a road station to the boat, it is no problem. At least, not with the genuine Wavian cans. I have pair that were bought for fuel transport mainly. I gave the inside a coating of Red Kote, a fuel tank liner, and while they were new can clean added a coat of zinc primer and two top coats to the outside, which was heavily painted to begin with.
If you try to get the Scepter plastic fuel jugs that NATO has switched to (apparently if someone shoots your metal Jerry can, it tends to catch fire or explode) they're practically smuggled in from Canada, as Scepter gave up trying to keep CARB, the EPA, and the DOT all happy, since all three require different spouts. And, more like $100-125 each. Ouch.
Not to say that they aren't a lot of good alternatives, but EPA/CARB legal ones have no vents, so they can make a mess pouring. And there's so much junk on the market.
Also, in some places you'll see s sign at the gasoline station: "By order of the fire marshal gasoline may online be pumped into red metal cans marked with FD approval" or similar words. (Nothing similar about diesel.) Yes, metal. Red metal. Because it is less likely to make a static discharge and start a fuel fire.
I keep a 24" ground strap jumper on my cans, aviation style, because WTH it isn't as big a burden as a fuel fire would be.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 13:43   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Siphon hose for diesel and gas

You can buy old style spouts and vents cheap on Amazon too, and throw those CARB pieces of junk away.
Just remember to install the vent, you need a step drill, a regular twist drill will distort the “can” so the vent won’t snap in neatly.

Pack of 10, $8
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	192713
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:12   #27

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I always feel like I’m really connecting with a particular area when I’ve been to every hardware store and auto parts shack in a 5 mile radius!
And I thought it was just me cruising the streets of Cancun asking all the hardware stores if they have X. One of the first phrases I memorized was "No Tengo"...
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel