Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2016, 20:33   #1

Boat: Folk boat M26
Should I attempt this ?

I believe I have isolated my starting problem to the fuel injector pump.
The motor is a Yanmar ysm8.
I have reseated the valves, replaced head gasket, replaced fuel lines and primary filter.
Injector was a bit sticky but now good.

No fuel coming out of injector pump when cranking but if I loosen the delivery valve spring holder then fuel comes through, not high pressure though.

I did remove the pump, but since I hadn't read up on it I put it back in place as it looked a bit complicated.

So now having read the manual and seen a YouTube clip, I'm still a bit hesitant. With no experience with diesels before this (learning quickly though) is this something I could take apart, identify the problem and fix ?
Or should I just take it to a professional before I bugger it up completely.

Cheers
Tom
Windward mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 01:32   #2

Re: Should I attempt this ?

Has the injector been set & tested by a Pro? Injector pumps require specialize knowledge and equipment not for sticky fingers!. YSE injector pumps do not use a traditional type delivery valve but a small steel sphere [Ball bearing] very easily lost when undoing the holder, you sure this is situ.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 02:18   #3

The injector was fairly basic with no adjustment. Basically a spring loaded needle that opens when the fuel under pressure pushes it back.
I have read the pumps can be tricky, hence my wariness to blunder in :-))
Old 27-06-2016, 02:31   #4

Next!
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 04:31   #5

If your up the creek and have no paddle you have no options yes but otherwise take it to a shop that specializes in pumps and injectors it requires specialized equipment to do properly even with 35 year experience my pumps are sent out if I have the option
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 05:03   #6

Thanks, off to the pump shop then.
Old 27-06-2016, 05:07   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward mark View Post
Thanks, off to the pump shop then.

Take the injector too.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 09:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

As other friends have advised, don't even think about trying to disassemble a high pressure diesel pump, it require extensive knowledge and experience, special tools and special instruments. This is one for an approved Yanmar service center only.

All the best
John Mardall
Vetus Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 11:34   #9

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

The injection pump on a ysm8 is fairly simple, comparatively. Special tools are required to do it easily. I did take one apart and was able to clean it it up and re-install it. it worked better but still leaked back, causing long cranking periods to start, after sitting a few days.....there was some pitting internally. when I got back to the states I got a new one. Be careful as it needs to be shimmed properly. not all pumps are shimmed equally to the same engine. too much or too little shim will cause the timing to be off and/or damage the pump or cam.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 14:38   #10

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

is there fuel in the tank/did you prime the pump /bleed the filter etc
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 14:41   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

The single cylinder Yanmar pump is a rather simple device, a piston that gets low pressure fuel in from the fuel pump through a one way valve, then pushes it out under high pressure through another one way valve to the injector. The injector has a spring and a ball valve that keeps the fuel from dripping into the cylinder or entering under less than the design firing pressure until the pump has provided fuel at high pressure at the top of the firing cycle. I have had mine apart several times. Pay attention to the springs in the valves and follow the diagrams in the Yanmar repair manual and you should have no problems getting it out, cleaning it and getting it back in.

Worse that can happen is that you still don't get high pressure pulsed fuel and still don't have a running engine. This involves one more take off and sending the pump off to a repair shop. Still, you might just find something amiss when you disassemble and save yourself the shop bill.

Nothing venture, nothing gained.\

Good luck
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 14:57   #12

Boat: Farr 1020

Windy,
Minnards Diesels are the Yanmar wizards, they do exchange reconditioned units, good prices and fantastic service. Depends where in Sydney you are, but a phone call is all they need, postbags are delivered very quickly and it is easier than getting to an agent somewhere and then going back in a week or so when they have the parts.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 19:42   #13

Thanks to Shakey Doug and others for adviseI took the pump and injector to Gemini Fuel injection, pump cleaned and new injector required.

That and the valve grind and she fired up first go. I could even start it with the hand crank !!

At least I know far more about my motor than I did a few months ago.
The more I learn the more I realise how much I don't know.