Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2017, 12:05   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel for Yanmar 3GM30F

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
That oil would be fine, but non-synthetic Rotella T 15W-40 is great oil at lower cost. I have used it in my Yanmar engines for over 30 years...and my original 41 yo Yanmar is still running fine on it.
I would ditto that. The non synthetic Rotella T 15W-40 is about as good as it gets.

Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 13:46   #17

People worry way too much about oil , when in reality the oil standards are so much better now .When was the last time you heard about an oil quality related failure and know the truth about why it failed ?
When I asked the manufacturer Who I was working why after many years of not using synthetic they had switched " The bean counters can now justify the additional cost of the oil because of the 0.1% gain in fuel milage that saved xxx $$ in C.A.F.E. rating fines and extending the oil change intervals looks better in the cost to maintain during the 100,000 mile that the government requires .Guess why now spark plug replacement coolant change are 105k now and trans fluid replacement none existent ? "
Point is what the manufacturer may make a recommendation based on there profit as opposed to your engines longevity
When the 1st engine that I had started leaking because I changed to synthetic I called BS "It was just a coincidence " but on the 2nd ! I dont have the money to continue testing ha ha
Here is a link to one of the many debates that are in line with what I think

sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 13:55   #18

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have switched to synthetic oil in a. Number of old gasoline engines without a problem. Some claim to have issues with oil leaks switching to synthetic but that's probably due to old seals. If you have a really old engine run especially run without a filter on non detergent oil, then switching to modern oil, Dino or syn, will cause issues until all the accumulated gunk is cleaned out.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:01   #19

Boat: Caliber 47

Well fellas few of you know much about synthetics.....first if I had a high mileage engine that I suspected was full of sludge I would flush out a few times before switching. Since the original post did not suggest this There is no need to address this.

There are several opinions on the internet suggesting switching to synthetic is seamless and harmless. Why would the entire industry ignore your suggestion of washing away beneficial (or not) varnishes etc. in my opinion any lubricant that's going to help clean away deposits etc must be good!

There are many more benefits to synthetic than cold weather protection, one of them being much better protection against heat. Last time I checked marine diesels often operate in high heat situations.

I have had connections with Mobil engineers in Paulsboro NJ regarding the benefits of synthetic. Mobil and other mfgrs speak of only a select number of benefits like change intervals to keep liability claims under control.

I have discussed with Yanmar and Cat engineers....their only concern was is the extra protection worth the additional cost.

The question was is it Ok to use synthetic. The answer can only be yes. Worth the $12 or so per oil change ? That answer may be more subjective.
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:07   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Lubricating oils for engines are designated in the US according to the API S, C, or TC prefix. They refer to the type of ignition, S for Spark, TC for two cycle, and C for Compression, AKA diesel. The letters that follow refer to the standard the oil meets, with letters later into the alphabet being higher standards. Diesels require a separate classification system because they beat the heck out of oil; do not use an S oil in a diesel. And forget the advertising - just look for what standard the oil meets. More recent automobiles require higher standards of oil.
tkeithlu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:50   #21

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber40 View Post

The question was is it Ok to use synthetic. The answer can only be yes.
So I guess that means if the OP's engine starts leaking oil, or worse, looses compression (another documented, though rare, occurrence), you're going to reimburse him for repairs or fly out to San Francisco to fix it for him, right?
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:57   #22

Boat: Beneteau 393

FYI, I used Pennzoil 30 in my 3MG30 on my B331 until I couldn't find it locally, then switched to Rotella T4 15W-40...and continue to use it on my B393 Westerbeke 44A.

I've been using Pennzoil for years as my granddad was a mechanic and always swore Pennzoil was the best.

I was in Jiffy Lube getting my oil changed in my Chevy Suburban where I use Pennzoil 10W-30. A Pennzoil rep happened to be in the office so we had a brief discussion of oils. He said most of Pennzoil's current oils are a blended oil. Even the 10W-30 I was using was a blend. As I recall the HD 30W was the only oil that was not a blend. According to him, they use a blend as it was a better product with little increase in cost. He noted most of his competitors were also blends.

I also asked about the difference between oil companies such as Mobil, Quaker State, Valvoline... He admitted all the brand name oils were excellent...Pennzoil was a little better.

He noted engine failure due to oil quality almost never happens anymore. As someone else noted, not changing oil or low oil due to a leak were almost always the cause of oil related problems.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 15:22   #23

Modern diesels are built for low emissions and increased fuel economy. It's time to move out from under the shade tree and use a modern hi tech lubricant to match this new technology!
Old 15-01-2017, 15:26   #24

An observation.
I am an Ex Farmer. We has an Aircooled Deutz engine in a tractor, it would run fine on non synthetic oil all year till we started harvesting and pulling a 4.7 ton harvester then the temp guage would go into the red, when I changed to Mobil 1 full synthetic the temp guage would never go into the red down 10-12 degrees. The engine ran Mobil1 from when I discovered this.
All my machinery had oil changes every 100 hours.

I can imagine changing a 2000hr engine to Synthetic would wash all the old oils sludge off the internals and cause lots of issues.
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 15:33   #25

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Just purchased Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 engine oil for my Volvo engine.

But, I do have a question: Boat is in storage so no way to run the engine to heat up the oil. Does it matter? Engine has 40 hours so just past the breakin period.

How important is heating the oil before draining it?
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 15:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney21 View Post
An observation.

I am an Ex Farmer. We has an Aircooled Deutz engine in a tractor, it would run fine on non synthetic oil all year till we started harvesting and pulling a 4.7 ton harvester then the temp guage would go into the red, when I changed to Mobil 1 full synthetic the temp guage would never go into the red down 10-12 degrees. The engine ran Mobil1 from when I discovered this.

All my machinery had oil changes every 100 hours.

I can imagine changing a 2000hr engine to Synthetic would wash all the old oils sludge off the internals and cause lots of issues.

I would like a lubricant that helped my engine run cooler!
Old 15-01-2017, 16:40   #27

Sludging and varnish are due to poor crankcase ventilation. I worked for a manufacturer that had an engine with some (dead) areas in the engine that was recalled and we had to measure the depth of the sludge. If the depth was less than X major ventilation changes were made, if more than x, the heads were replaced. It did not mater what brand of oil all of the engines sludged, and under no circumstances were you to flush or try to clean. Once moved it would cause more damage than left if alone.
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 18:02   #28

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaB View Post
Just purchased Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 engine oil for my Volvo engine.

But, I do have a question: Boat is in storage so no way to run the engine to heat up the oil. Does it matter? Engine has 40 hours so just past the breakin period.

How important is heating the oil before draining it?
I only tried once on an engine that had been run, but not enough to reach operating temperature, it was like trying to suck molasses thru a three foot straw. And that was in San Diego so ambient temperature wasn't that bad to start with.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 18:33   #29

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I only tried once on an engine that had been run, but not enough to reach operating temperature, it was like trying to suck molasses thru a three foot straw. And that was in San Diego so ambient temperature wasn't that bad to start with.
So, how to heat it up, or just wait till it gets dropped innthe water?
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 19:21   #30

Maybe someone can answer this question?

I've been told that the biggest advantage of synthetic oil is that it can go far longer between changes than dino oil. Heavy trucks can go 50,000 miles between changes. But that boat diesels put so much junk into the oil that you have to change it frequently anyways. If you follow the recommended oil change frequency, there's no advantage to synthetic over a modern high quality dino oil like Rotella. And you shouldn't extend the time between changes because the junk gets in whatever oil you use anways.

True?

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, diesel, rot, yanmar