Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 10:46   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Shelf Life of Engine Spares - ???

Sam, I sent you a PM.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 02:33   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
……….
Don't do what I did -- buy a spare without verifying that it actually fits.
You are not Robinson Crusoe!

I have just found out the two spare impellers I have don't fit

One was supplied as part of the spares package when I purchased the engine new from the Aussie Yanmar distributor. The other was provided by an authorised Yanmar dealer; I supplied the engine model and serial number at the time. Both are the correct part number for the 2GM20 and are referenced in many places around the web! The other parts in the spares package are correct.

The Johnson water pump">raw water pump (F4B-902; 10-24509-02) fitted to my engine is clearly different to that what Yanmar thinks they fitted. Oh well, it's off to the local Johnson agents tomorrow!

The good news is that I no longer need to worry the shelf life of these impellers .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 02:45   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi. View Post
And it also needs a definition of "spares", which was the OP's question. If "spares" means a part that you are going to use, when your old part reaches its use-by-date, then why are you carrying that "spare" for years at all? I find that for my programmed servicing, I get those "spares" delivered all over the world, with only a few months notice. The "spares" I thought the OP was talking about were the spares that you need when something breaks miles from no-where. Then the spare that fits and still has 20% plus of its working life left is the best and cheapest option. Everything the OP mention should have been replaced by the new "spare" in the time frame quoted.
You are of course, correct. The terminology "spares" was poorly defined by me and perhaps that was because I used both meanings concurrently - poor practice on my behalf.

And yes, all these items should have been replaced by now but for complex reasons, they weren't .

However the engine is in the process of a "deep" maintenance program over the next few weeks.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 22:16   #34

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't think it a daft idea at all!
Quite agree... critical hoses at least... eg anything attached to your engine. Mine dumped all the FW side one fine day at about 15 years... hardening of the arteries....

Now I never reconnect an old hose.. ones untouched OK.... but hardening of the product ( as opposed to perishing) means its difficult to get a good seal when putting them back... am about to replace my 2 bilge pump discharge lines for that very reason.

Along with lube oil , lots of bog paper, and rum... spare hose ( assorted) is a must.

Tags
engine