Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 20:07   #1

Boat: H28
Shaft seal ID

Hi,
Would anybody know the identity of the shaft seal in the photo - I need to look up its maintenance details.
Alternatively, could someone tell me how to maintain it please? At rest, it is water tight and underway lets in the occasional steady drop. I see that it has a grease nipple so I presume that I have to give it a mouthful of grease now and again? Prior to cutting a hatch in the cockpit floor, access to the shaft seal was almost impossible and given that the previous owner was a very corpulent gentleman, I would bet its never been greased in the 7 years he owned the boat. How do you know how much grease to pump in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaft seal.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	55684  
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 13:23   #2

Re: Shaft seal ID

Modifying my question a bit... in retrospect it doesn't matter what brand of seal it is, having a grease nipple presupposes that I have to grease it? On my last boat I had a PSS shaft seal that didn't need greasing. As mentioned earlier, this seal has a few drips with the engine running, and I am certain that the previous owner never maintained the seal. How often should I inject grease, how much should I put in, and does grease form part of the drip-proofing of this type of seal? Given my great age I am far more familiar with conventional stuffing boxes and am a little out of my depth with all this new fangled stuff.
Old 27-02-2013, 13:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Does not look like any shaft seal I'm familiar with. Not a common dripless as far as I know.

I'm guessing that the grease does indeed play a part in keeping the water out. Most grease fittings the procedure is hook up the grease gun and squeeze the handle until you see some clean grease coming out the sides of whatever you are greasing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 16:27   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

never seen a boat shaft seal like this, but have seen lots of pump seals like it

the grease is for lubrication and like Skip says nothing a grease type seal is just a couple of shots till you see so grease out the end

is you start a web search for boat shaft grease seals maybe you can find the make
Old 27-02-2013, 19:20   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It looks like one I made many years ago. Mine had two lip seals with a grease space between them. If too much grease was pumped in it would just push past the aft seal into the shaft log. I wonder if your's is homemade?
Old 28-02-2013, 00:16   #6

Thank you for the replies.
Here in NZ we have a prop shaft seal called a Kiwiseal which is made by a company of the same name which is, I believe owned by parent company Henleys Propellers Ltd. From talking to them, the early version of the seal was known as an Orca Seal and that from their description is what I think I have. In which case it is quite ancient and probably due for replacement. But, being a poor old pensioner, I'll give it a couple of shots of grease and see if its still good for a few more miles. Thanks for your help.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
Thank you for the replies.
Here in NZ we have a prop shaft seal called a Kiwiseal which is made by a company of the same name which is, I believe owned by parent company Henleys Propellers Ltd. From talking to them, the early version of the seal was known as an Orca Seal and that from their description is what I think I have. In which case it is quite ancient and probably due for replacement. But, being a poor old pensioner, I'll give it a couple of shots of grease and see if its still good for a few more miles. Thanks for your help.
If it works and you only get a few drops of water per minute I would grease it and go. Just check it occasionally when under power to see if it's getting hot. Slightly warm to the touch is ok but too hot could be an indication of damage to the shaft.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote