Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 16:01   #1

Boat: Compass 28
Service Manual for Yanmar SB8

Recently purchased my first yacht, a Compass 28 with a view to gradually tidying her up. Very sound structurally but in need of some tlc.

The engine is an old Yanmar SB8 which is still running well. I've already done some work on the water pump and exhaust and have a few other tasks planned. I have the original Operations Manual but have been unable to locate a copy of the Service Manual through the local dealer or a number of internet searches.

I'd be happy to pay for the document if anyone can help identify a source.

Congratulations on running a great system. I've also recently enjoyed reading the material on window replacement, which is another job on my to-do list.

Michael
mjmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 02:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Service Manual for Yanmar SB8

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Michael.

Yanmar sb8 service manual
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...MzdcRN5g0/edit

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 03:30   #3

Michael;

Congratulations on your new boat, and welcome to large group of very satisfied C28 owners!

If you haven't already, check out the Compass owner's forum: https://sites.google.com/site/compassyachtgroup/home
Lots of good support including on the Yanmar engines.

It's very active, and of course the bulk of C28's and C29's are in NSW. There's a few of us down here in Port Philip Bay.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 12:54   #4

Hi Gord

Thank you for taking the time to help with the link. Unfortunately I'm not having any luck getting to the actual document. Each time I click on the link it takes me to a marketing page which tries to either sell me something or offer a chance to win a prize in exchange for my contact details. Do you know if anyone has successfully got to the document after completing the marketing event? I'm just reluctant to proceed without some degree of confidence that the promotional emails that will inevitably follow are worth dealing with because the document is actually available.

Thank you again for your effort to support me in this quest. It is very much appreciated.

Michael
Old 19-12-2016, 12:57   #5

Hi Graeme

Thank you for the kind welcome. I have indeed joined the Compass group and a great bunch they are. One of the members talked me through a wiring problem from his home in Sydney last weekend to restore power to the vessel. A very generous fellow and a great teacher.

Michael
Old 19-12-2016, 13:01   #6

One of the sites I tried, and paid money to, for the SB8 Service Manual was Reliable-Store.com who assured me they had the document and would forward it it me. The document never arrived and they stopped responding to me emails inquiring about progress with the order and I'll now have to pursue them to recover my funds.

The quest continues!

Michael
Old 20-12-2016, 17:27   #7

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

I have a Yanmar SB12 and have a manual for the SVE8/SVE12, which is the older generation of our engines. I would be happy to take photos and share them, when I get back to the boat after Christmas. It isn't all that helpful, to be honest....and I would like to get a service manual that gives more detail and photos myself.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 18:19   #8

Thanks for offer of help with SV documents. I did manage to track down an SV series book as well but just having no luck at all with the SB8 Service Manual. There's obviously some sitting in garages out there somewhere but very hard to locate. Lots of links come up in searches but they mostly lead to the same 2 or 3 sites which have scam warning associated with them. I really can't afford to repower in the next few years so I will keep the search going so I can do some work myself to keep the old SB8 ticking along. I have tried about 6 different search engines but nothing to show for it so far. Lots of copies of the Operations Manual which I already have. If I have any luck I will be happy to share my good fortune with you.

Michael
Old 20-12-2016, 19:08   #9

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Please do! Thanks and good luck.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:40   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone have an up to date link for Yanmar SB8 service manual?
Old 27-05-2020, 16:35   #11

Boat: C&C 33 Mark I 1974

Hi,
I'm working on an SB8 and really really need a service manual. I have successfully found a parts manual, so I now know the part to be replaced but I need help from the service manual.
Briefly, the engine was started when it was frozen which caused the water pump shaft to shear off. The pump is ok, but from the parts diagrams, I cannot tell how the shaft is driven...
I see from the above posts that a manual was posted but the link is now bad.
For anyone searching for manuals, beware there are lot's of very nasty sites out there claiming to have manuals...
The one poster who had one is GordMay. I hope he may be able to help...
djblizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 16:37   #12

Gord, Is there any chance I could get the SB8 service manual???
Old 27-05-2020, 16:56   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I have a YSE8 service manual which is nearly the same engine except for being horizontal cylinder. They share a lot of common parts. It will get you started.
I tried to upload a copy of the YSM8 manual ( also similar ) to the library but it hasn't appeared yet
PM me if you want a copy
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 17:04   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblizzard View Post
Hi,
I'm working on an SB8 and really really need a service manual. I have successfully found a parts manual, so I now know the part to be replaced but I need help from the service manual.
Briefly, the engine was started when it was frozen which caused the water pump shaft to shear off. The pump is ok, but from the parts diagrams, I cannot tell how the shaft is driven...
I see from the above posts that a manual was posted but the link is now bad.
For anyone searching for manuals, beware there are lot's of very nasty sites out there claiming to have manuals...
The one poster who had one is GordMay. I hope he may be able to help...
I have a copy of the Yanmar SVE 8/12 and the YSE 8/12 service manuals. I think that between them, you will have most (all?) the information your will need.

There isn't much differences between the SB8 and the YSE8 and SVE8 AFAIK and I understand the main differences lie in the gearbox.

The pdf files are about 24MB for the SVE and 2MB for the YSE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SVE series.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	215926  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 17:08   #15

Thanks, How can I download these? My email is dave.blizzard@gmail.com and I don't have any size limitations...

Tags
service, yanmar