Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2021, 12:02   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Seized Yanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Update:Thank you to all who have responded to this post. Lots of thoughtful advice.

To WotName: it is a 4JHE.

To CarlF: In defense of the Broker who has been very upfront and helpful; the boat was put up on the hard approximately 2 years before he got the listing. I believe the ceased engine was as big a surprise to both him and the owners as it was to me. You do raise a good point about storage maintenance.

To LittleWing77: Interesting enough this boat was originally from Toronto. I also live not far from there. Here is how I am getting on.

I emailed the repair shop working on the ceased engine and asked for a quote to rebuild or replace the engine. They called me on New Years Eve. Basically they have recommended against rebuilding the engine. Their reasoning is that although the inside will be like new all of the exterior components are about 35 years old. If things like the heat exchanger or injection system fail I will be into about the same cost as a new engine. They also recommend replacing the transmission at the same time. Cost for new engine is $10,000. Cost for heavy duty tranny is $4,000. labor to re & re is $2,000 to $2,500. So all in about $16,500.US.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the repair shop's advice?

Even if the mechanic is able to free up the engine I am skeptical about going forward with the purchase based in the advice provided on this form. I am debating on whether to reduce my offer to cover the cost of replacing the engine as suggested by RamondR or just walking away as suggested by Orin Jim.

Decisions, Decisions!

Re the repair shops advice. It depends.
If they are going to rebuild it the cost may well end up near the same price as buying new but it depends on what is wrong with it.

If you could do most of the work yourself I'd go for the rebuild but based on yr questions that isnt going to happen.

Its a risky business buying sight unseen as others have said but agree with RaymondR about pricing it.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:50   #17

Boat: Penn Yan, Explorer 23 ft
Re: Seized Yanmar

After considering the situation and the advice provided I have decided that my inability to attend personally to asses the situation and the financial risk are sufficient reason not to go through with the purchase of this boat.

Thanks to all who offered their thoughts on my dilemma.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar