Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2016, 18:57   #16

Boat: Trintella, VanderStadt,42'
Re: seized Perkins 4236

That is mean to take the head off. I looked at the workshop manual and it says to take the engine out of the boat. Please correct me if i am wrong, thanks.
lionsurfer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 16:28   #17

Removing the head will allow visual and physical access to the cam followers also the if lucky the ''lost'' push rod. Whilst off, the head & gear can be inspected paying particular attention to the valve spring assembly as broken springs may be the cause of the seizure. In 50+ years in the diesel industry I have never come across a manual that suggests removing the engine from the vessel to retrieve a lost push rod. Number ONE rule when dealing boat diesels is easiest, quickest, cheapest. First.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 17:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsurfer79 View Post
Hi Fellad,
Well i rolled up my sleeves and started taking it apart and i think i found the problem. I found out that when i removed the rocker assembly from the cylinder head one of the push rods is missing. Oh boy that looks like a tough one. I do not know even how to get in there. Does anybody know if for that the engine has to be removed from the boat to get in it from underneath. Cheers
Wow, that's interesting. I had a problem with a 4-236 and it ended up the push rod was off the rocker, Just sitting there alongside the rocker. But the engine ran pretty good on 3 cyls. I wonder where the push rod can go on that engine?
We heavily suspected the aft cylinder got water in it from the exhaust to cause the problem. Are you sure that's not your problem?
There should be lots of 4-236 parts available as they were used extensively for non marine applications too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 18:57   #19

Boat: Trintella, VanderStadt,42'

Alright, i will try my best. I am taking it's head off. Off with it's head.
aaarrrrr
lionsurfer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 00:31   #20

If you require parts at better than competitive prices by people that have forgotten more about Perkins than other Perkins people know, try ''The Rock Tractor Centre''. The Rock. NSW.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins