Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 06:41   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Securing prop shaft with no engine

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experience or ideas on how i could secure my propshaft on my Bristol 27 as it currently is engineless.

I was thinking of bolting a 2x4 to the coupling then securing the ends of the 2x4 to soemthing to prevent any movement. Ideas?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 10:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Securing prop shaft with no engine

Exactly. Block the 2x4 so it can't swing and hit something hard. Another option is use a heavy duty C clamp and clamp the coupling. Put wood or steel thru the C clamp, etc. And another method that works is clean any oil off the shaft, take a line and tie a timber hitch or a clove hitch and then make several turns around the shaft and tie off. The bad thing about this method is going in reverse. But you can make 2 wraps in opposite rotation. Some people use chain and a come-a-long, but it scratches up nice looking shafts.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 11:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Pull the prop, then just make sure the shaft doesn't fall out.
One way is to put on an anode just inside of the packing nut, anode just works as a stop to keep shaft from backing out. I'd tie the front end of the shaft to support it too.
Tighten up the packing nut, no need to have it leak anymore
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 11:18   #4

Just put a shaft zinc on it on the inside at the stuffing box. or a SS collar from a hardware supplier, or 2 etc. Easy peasy, 10 min job.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 13:58   #5

Thanks guys. The boat unfortunately is going to be moved for some work on our dock, and I won't be there to move it. Time is of the essence on this one as i don't want t get a call saying boat is jacked up or sunk.

Im probably going to just use a 2x4 and bolt straight to it and mount the board so it can't swing.

I will probably use the line method as well for added security. Water is too cold for me to get in right now otherwise I'd just pull prop and shaft and seal off the hole from the inside.

In next few weeks I'll also probably be taking the boat out for a sail to another yard for some work, so its gotta be secured someway pretty good.
Old 18-05-2016, 15:29   #6

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

If you're really pressed for time and they are just moving it to another slip with ropes and manpower, I'd probably just go to the tool bag, grad some tape and a pair of big vice grips. Tape the shaft so it doesn't get gouged by the vice grips. They'll keep the shaft in the boat.

More elegant, more complicated solutions might indeed be needed to actually sail the boat.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-05-2016, 16:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
If you're really pressed for time and they are just moving it to another slip with ropes and manpower, I'd probably just go to the tool bag, grad some tape and a pair of big vice grips. Tape the shaft so it doesn't get gouged by the vice grips. They'll keep the shaft in the boat.

More elegant, more complicated solutions might indeed be needed to actually sail the boat.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yeah, i was thinking just a simple zinc would work for a quick solution since the move isn't that long of a distance.

I refuse to pay a tow boat to tow the baot to the yard we are planning to go to, so i'm going to just sail the boat over and use the outboard(already have a mount) to motor us into/out of docks. I figured since I have to go up to the boat to secure the prop tomorrow i might as well do it right and be done with it. I need to go over the photos I have of the engine compartment, however I'm pretty sure if i bolt a 2x4 to the coupling that is exactly the witdh of the compartment, I can secure it in place with screws coming from the either side of the compartment(one side is the quarter birth, otherside could be a quarterbirth but is just storage accessed from cockpit hatch.

The question that I have currently is how much of a force should the propshaft see in terms of push/pull?

Also on a side note, I can't seem to find ANY information regarding someone doing something like this. I've searched google and CF with no luck in terms of what others have done. Granted has to be talked about somewhere else on this internet...No one is ever the first for something on the internet these days. Anyone come across threads like this before? Possibly able to point me in those direction?
Old 18-05-2016, 16:53   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is surprisingly little torque, a 2X4 is probably seriously way more strength than necessary. As stated a pair of vise grips will hold it from turning, easily.
Nothing wrong with the 2X4 idea though.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 04:46   #9

I lived on my boat with a similar shaft situation. 7 knots didn't make the shaft as hard to stop as i thought. And that was a 10 in three blade. I just used a piece of line until i pulled out the shaft. Side benefit? It's now a SAILBOAT, sails were stored where the tank and engine used to be, and i gained a knot in speed. Win win in my book.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
sailzboatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 04:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sailzboatz.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine