Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 14:03   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Secondary fuel leak

We have an ongoing issue with a slight fuel leak(while running) on our secondary fuel filter with our Yanmar 3GM30F. It leaks because the tightening ring that holds the filter cannister to the upper body of the unit looses torque. Has anyone had this problem? The ring and body are aluminum and I do not want to over torque it when tightening the fitting. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2016, 15:56   #2

Re: Secondary fuel leak

o ring between canister and upper body missing or damaged. teflon or other tape might help. loctite or similar might stop loosening but might make it difficult to undo
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 17:04   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

The metal ring needs to be seated metal to metal. So the best thing is to give it a nice whack with a soft punch and hammer. It has a ton of surface area so you don't need much but you need to give it a little whack. You will need to give the same whack to get it off so keep that in mind. Having the proper wrench is great too.
I had never in my entire professional life not safety wired a fuel filter, I guess this is different.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 18:00   #4

The "O" ring has always been in place and intact, dlymn. I use a proper fuel filter torque wrench, Guy, but I will try the impact torque technique. But, what do you mean when you say you said "safety wire a fuel filter?" Thanks, Rognvald
Old 11-08-2016, 18:38   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
But, what do you mean when you say you said "safety wire a fuel filter?" Thanks, Rognvald
Sorry, I was an airplane mechanic.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 07:47   #6

To safety wire any type of spin on filter you can put a normal hoseclamp around the canister body (not so tight that you collapse it) and safety wire to some solid point using the screw head of the clamp for the filter end. . It does not take a lot of pressure on the safety wire, just enough to keep the filter from backing off from vibration. Make sure you do it the correct direction or it will help to loosen the filter. It is simple to do. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 09:59   #7

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks. I slightly tapped the retention ring with a punch/hammer( very slightly) and it has solved the problem. If it continues to loosen in the future, I will try the wiring option. Good luck and safe sailing. Best, Rognvald
Old 15-08-2016, 11:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It isn't going to loosen, aircraft usually safety wire everything, if you so desire the K&N oil filters have the safety wire tang on them and the 1" nut like an aircraft oil filter does, but of all the Millions of automobiles driving around I have never heard of a filter loosening itself?
I know I switched from fuel filters with the ring to spin on oil filters but oil filters and hose clamps were mentioned.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel