Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2021, 02:35   #1

Boat: Viking 30
Seawater strainer failure

After experiencing a blocked heat exchanger at sea I decided it was past time to fit a seawater strainer.
I did the job while on the hard and tested by running 40 litres of water from containers. All good. Launched the boat and while motoring to my mooring had water pouring in. It turns out that when revs are added, the O ring that seals the lid, blows out. The lid clamps down with a wing nut.
Could it be that I purchased a water strainer that’s too small in flow capacity? Probably, because I didn’t give any thought to it and just bought one that matched the existing hose diameter.
So I don’t know. The motor is 20hp and the separator is rated for 150ltr per minute, but I can’t find flow volume for the Volvo D1-20 in the manual.
Any ideas?
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 03:07   #2

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41
Re: Seawater strainer failure

This happens to me almost every spring when I launch. More then likely you haven’t lined up the lid properly, and/ or clamped down on the lid enough. The lid must be perfectly lined up and tight, otherwise it leaks. Try the easy stuff first, If I’m wrong it wont cost you anything.
Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 04:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See the Volvo D1-20 Technical Data sheethttp://www.darthaven.co.uk/userfiles...ta%20D1-20.pdf
Cooling water (raw & fresh) vary with RPM.
Sea water pump flow* & Fresh water circulation pump flow, specified near the bottom of page 2.

*42 to 89 foot³/h, or 1.2 to 2.5 m³/h = 5.2 US GPM to 11 US GPM

The Workshop manual covers the coolant system on pages 25 & 92-99, but isn’t very helpful, for your issue.
https://j109.org/docs/volvo_d1-30_workshop_manual.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 16:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Sailor View Post
This happens to me almost every spring when I launch. More then likely you haven’t lined up the lid properly, and/ or clamped down on the lid enough. The lid must be perfectly lined up and tight, otherwise it leaks. Try the easy stuff first, If I’m wrong it wont cost you anything.

Thanks MS. The lid design, clamped by a single wing nut, doesn’t seem to allow for misalignment. Perhaps not clamped down hard enough. The lid is plastic and not wanting to risk damage only tightened by hand...but pretty tight I’d say.
Old 01-02-2021, 16:48   #5

Thanks for the links GordMay.
It appears there is no issue with capacity at 11 GPM = 43LPM
Maybe I just need a spanner!
Old 01-02-2021, 16:56   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Sounds like you have the strainer on the pressure side of the raw water pump. Typically it should be on the suction side. If this is the case, can you switch the hoses on the strainer?

150l/min is plenty.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 17:17   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Sounds like you have the strainer on the pressure side of the raw water pump. Typically it should be on the suction side. If this is the case, can you switch the hoses on the strainer?

150l/min is plenty.
This ^^

Those centre bolt covers won't take very much positive pressure before leaking but any negative pressure (vacuum) should put the lid down on the seal.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 18:09   #8

Thanks, yes that makes sense. I put it on the pressure side after reading others talk of failed impellers causing problems. Lesson: Nothing replaces regular maintenance.
I can easily change to suction side (as per Volvo Manual) which sounds as though will fix the issue.

Tags
water