Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2020, 18:33   #1

Sealing Exhaust Gaskets

I have a Westerbeke W70. I'm installing 4 new exhaust elbows. These elbows hook to the exhaust port for each of he 4 cylinders. Each elbow is then in turn hooked to an exhaust manifold. My question is should I use some kind high temp sealant between the gaskets and the exhaust elbows for a better seal. Don't want to get those exhaust fumes in the boat due to a bad seal. Any advice for how to seal those exhaust gaskets?
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 18:54   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Sealing Exhaust Gaskets

What kind of gasket does WB use? Do they have a recommendation on sealant?

I have had very good luck using high-temp copper loaded RTV (silicone sealant) on balky exhaust gaskets.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 18:56   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

If the faces of the surfaces are in good condition and true, then no sealant is required. The gasket will be sufficient.

Don't worry too much about an exhaust leak with a diesel engine. First there is only a small amount of CO in a diesel exhaust when compared to a petrol (gas) engine. Secondly the smell of the smallest leak of in a diesel exhaust will alert you a long time before it becomes dangerous.

Put another way, the smell of a small leak in a diesel exhaust leak drive you out the cabin quick smart!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 19:19   #4

Boat: Trlåren 31

I've done this same job on a W52. The four individual ells made it tough to get a good seal. You need to go slowly and tighten things a little bit at a time, alternating from one end to the other to balance the tightening. There's a lot of possible movement with eight gaskets (sixteen surfaces) coming together.

I had quite a few studs I couldn't see, including just about all of them on the underside of the exhaust manifold which didn't make it easy.

I went slow and evenly tightened everything and I still had a exhaust leak initially.

I used a thin bead of high-temperature copper RTV silicone on my gaskets. I am going on eight years without any problems.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 19:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCruiser View Post
I have a Westerbeke W70. I'm installing 4 new exhaust elbows. These elbows hook to the exhaust port for each of he 4 cylinders. Each elbow is then in turn hooked to an exhaust manifold. My question is should I use some kind high temp sealant between the gaskets and the exhaust elbows for a better seal. Don't want to get those exhaust fumes in the boat due to a bad seal. Any advice for how to seal those exhaust gaskets?
No sealant is used on high temp exhaust flanges

Are you using the correct gaskets ?

Copper paste on the exhaust bolts is a good idea.. proper torque and ease of removal in future
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 19:13   #6

I've cleaned the exhaust ports on engine. I've also cleaned the exhaust manifold. Polished with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Bought new OEM gaskets, and exhaust elbow. Everything is basically new down to the mounting studs for the exhaust elbows. I just don't want to do this a third time. First time no sealant. Had some exhaust blow by on the exhaust manifold. Second time around used the copper Permatex sealant. Seemed to work better. This time around I found two of my exhaust elbows were cracked. So I'm replacing all four elbows with EOM brand new parts. Just looking for best method to ensure I don't have to take this exhaust apart again.
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, gasket