Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2020, 16:26   #1

Boat: Freedom 30
sealed wire on Yan 2GM20F

There is a screw assembly in the vicinity of the top of the hi pressure fuel pump. On my engine this screw was wired with lightweight seizing and a lead seal. It has since fallen off. I have the seal and a bit of the wire in my garage in the middle of my workbench. I stare at it frequently wondering what it was for.
The shop manual is silent on the subject.

It looks like the seal may have something to do with the governor, possibley an adjustment point??

Anyone have any info on what it was for and why a seal was necessary?
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 17:15   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: sealed wire on Yan 2GM20F

It is the no-load maximum speed limiter and it part of the governor assembly. It is factory set so the governor limits the max rpm at WOT in neutral.

It should not be confused with the sealed fuel injection limiter on the front side of the injection pump.

Should only be adjusted by those who REALLY know what they are doing.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 18:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It is the no-load maximum speed limiter and it part of the governor assembly. It is factory set so the governor limits the max rpm at WOT in neutral.

It should not be confused with the sealed fuel injection limiter on the front side of the injection pump.

Should only be adjusted by those who REALLY know what they are doing.
Fantastic, thank you. I have not touched the adjustment but I suppose now the seizing is gone it could adjust itself. I am going to look at re-seizing it with some wire.
Old 16-09-2020, 20:38   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

This picture from the service manual may also help; it shows a 3GM30 but the 2GM20 is the same arrangement. It tells a thousand words .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2GM20 Gov.png
Views:	140
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	223532  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 08:37   #5

OK thanks for pic. I am going down to the boat to verify my manual has the same picture. It function of the screw seems pretty straightforward in the figure.

Tags
2gm, 2gm20