Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 20:31   #16

Re: SeaFoam use in oil or gasoline???

Adding it to your fuel day to day or randomly would be a waste of money. Sea foam is however good for an occasional shock treatment to remove carbon deposits in two stroke engines. Google the dunk decarb method.

WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 13:45   #17

Boat: Tartan 37C

I'm not being a braggart here, but, I presently own six motorcycles, 8 collector cars , a Regulator 26 with 2/ 2 stroke Yamaha's and my Tartan.
I have used sea foam for well over 15 years in EVERY gasoline motor that I have. In fact, I purchase it by the gallon, about $65.00 per gallon. It absolutely keeps the carburetor jets clean and open. I would never not add it to my gas tank. Plain and simple, it works and is worth every penny

Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 14:36   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
Very interesting comparison between the three biggies. It seems all of them are at least somewhat effective. I've actually used the Marvel product to free up the rings on a 100 year old hit-or-miss engine. Of course I've done the same with automatic transmission fluid (something I would never attempt on a modern engine).

I'm inclined to try a can or two in the fuel on my Tohatsu. I'm not inclined to do this for very long because its an ounce/gallon of fuel and I paid $8 for 16oz. I'll be in the Gulf's ICW this next week and if the current little storm gets to be more of a threat on the Texas Gulf coast, I'll gamble on the first 30 gallons of treated fuel as insurance.

I appreciate the input.
ATF is fine in an modern engine, it’s just 10W oil I think so don’t go over board with how much, but one quart in a five quart capacity is fine.
Back 30 or more years ago ATF was the go to to clean up varnished injectors, the old Diesel Mercedes would rattle like they did when they were cold, a quart of ATF in the tank and 100 miles or so and they would idle normal again.
ATF is primarily a light oil with a lot of detergent, the are friction modifiers etc. but I guess they burn OK.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 15:15   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
There's a YouTube guy ("Project Farm") who does all sorts of testing. Here's one for SeaFoam vs Marvel Mystery Oil. If you go to his YT Channel and search "Seafoam" you will find several interesting experiments. In general, he's fairly positive on Seafoam. Interesting channel for DIY mechanic types. He blows-up a lot of small engines.

I actually watched most of this “test” the problem with all these YouTube test experts often is their methodology, where in the world did he get the idea to pour MMO into the carb when the engine was running? And what’s this about a “hot soak”
I know sea foam says you can dump it into running engine, but does MMO?
Does the fact that it doesn’t work well when used in a manner that it’s not intended to mean anything?

If you want to see a miracle decarbonazation, dump water into a running engine, the steam will clean astonishingly well, there is a huge amount of energy in steam.
Not that I’m saying do that, but it will clean out carbon, maybe I need or sell hydrogen dioxide as a engine cleaner? Put some food coloring in it and there you go.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:47   #20

Boat: C&C 40

We use Seafoam regularly. A can full in the car gas and boat deisel keeps the moisture out and running smooth. not every tankful but a couple times a year.
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 18:57   #21

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

You can run a little SeaFoam in your oil just prior to an oil change. It will loosen up sludge and other debris.
I make my own brand of SeaFoam and have used it extensively in both my truck and Two-Stroke Johnson 150. I decarb my outboard every year and on occasion add it to my fuel tank. I have not noticed any issues.
Research decarbing procedures before attempting as there is a chance of hydrolocking.

The basic ingredients are:
Diesel Fuel - 60%
Naptha - 30%
Isopropyl alcohol - 10%

Some people will eliminate the isopropyl alcohol due to water content or when running ethanol based fuels. I usually substitute with "Iso-HEET".
Old 03-06-2020, 21:45   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I use a can of Seafoam in my diesel fuel once or twice a season. The first time I used it, I noticed that my Yanmar started more quickly. I baby my Yanmar and change the engine oil every 100 hours.

I also like Marvel Mystery oil. My brother used it to free the piston rings in his pickup and I have used it in my Volvo Amazons as well. I know it is good at cleaning because I once put it in the engine oil one of my Amazons for the first time, the front and rear oil seals started leaking. I think the seals wanted to be replaced anyway.

George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil