Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2020, 17:15   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Sea Water and Oil - How Much is Too Much for an Engine (2QM20)!

let me tell you a story that I hope will motivate you...

many years ago, I had a twin cylinder Volvo engine in my first boat, it was raw water cooled, ie, salt water.

I don't remember the exact instance anymore, but I got seawater inside the cylinders, sump and everywhere else and the engine got locked up tight.

I took the head off, cleaned the cylinder head and valves as best I could, sucked out all the seawater and beat on the piston with a sledgehammer until I got it to dead bottom and it would go no more.

Sucked all the seawater from the sump and put everything back together again, using all the original gaskets, cylinder head gasket included.

Filled with fresh oil, and damn, if it didn't start right up. Drained that oil after 5-10 minutes and re-filled with new oil and started it again....another 5-10 minutes running and one last oil change and that thing ran as if nothing had happened...ok, it smoked a little, but not much...

ran for years after.....those old diesels are built like a tank !!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 17:31   #77
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
let me tell you a story that I hope will motivate you...

many years ago, I had a twin cylinder Volvo engine in my first boat, it was raw water cooled, ie, salt water.

I don't remember the exact instance anymore, but I got seawater inside the cylinders, sump and everywhere else and the engine got locked up tight.

I took the head off, cleaned the cylinder head and valves as best I could, sucked out all the seawater and beat on the piston with a sledgehammer until I got it to dead bottom and it would go no more.

Sucked all the seawater from the sump and put everything back together again, using all the original gaskets, cylinder head gasket included.

Filled with fresh oil, and damn, if it didn't start right up. Drained that oil after 5-10 minutes and re-filled with new oil and started it again....another 5-10 minutes running and one last oil change and that thing ran as if nothing had happened...ok, it smoked a little, but not much...

ran for years after.....those old diesels are built like a tank !!!
Thanks for the motivation .

Tough engine!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 17:43   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Thanks Guys, your input is very appreciated and it all helps me to decide what to do.

As a DIY mechanic, I have to have a reason to put any item back into the engine that is not new. For instance, I can justify (to myself) to reuse the sleeves and pistons but not the rings and bearings.

Given what has being posted, I can't justify reusing the valve springs being as I have now discovered I can source new ones for about $5 (USD) each.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 28-07-2020, 19:16   #79

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

....Given what has being posted, I can't justify reusing the valve springs being as I have now discovered I can source new ones for about $5 (USD) each.
As some say 'round here, 'Yee-ha' [subtext, let's get this show on the road]...guess you've already deduced bunches of us 'mericans are an impulsive lot...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 19:26   #80

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Given what has being posted, I can't justify reusing the valve springs being as I have now discovered I can source new ones for about $5 (USD) each.
\
Now THAT makes sense, Wottie! Where are they coming from?

Jim
Old 28-07-2020, 19:51   #81

Quote:
\
Now THAT makes sense, Wottie! Where are they coming from?

Jim
'merica - cheapest place I could find easily! Prolly could have spent another week searching for something cheaper .

Of course there is a freight component but I was already planning to get the rings/bearings etc from the same place (Hoyes Tractors) so I'm pretending there is no freight component just for the springs
Old 28-07-2020, 19:51   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
As some say 'round here, 'Yee-ha' [subtext, let's get this show on the road]...guess you've already deduced bunches of us 'mericans are an impulsive lot...
Indeed .
Old 04-08-2020, 09:22   #83

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

Nice to see this engine being saved Wotname!

Looking forward to seeing the updates.
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 15:38   #84

^^ hope you are patient sort of person as it's long term project but you can be sure I will be posting updates as they happen.
Old 19-08-2020, 06:28   #85

Finally got the head back from the machine shop. Valve seats recut and valves reground and lapped. Very light skim off the head surface.

Now waiting for rings, bearings and valve springs to arrive in the post - but this could take four to six weeks. I probably should spend some of this time giving the block a paint!

I still have to remove the main crankshaft bearings and a mate is turning up drift and spigot to make the job easier (also used to press the new bearings into place).

So it's baby steps forward!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4634.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	221568  
Old 19-08-2020, 14:36   #86

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I still have to remove the main crankshaft bearings and a mate is turning up drift and spigot to make the job easier (also used to press the new bearings into place).
Wottie, I'm not familiar with these engines... does this mean that the main bearings are not split with removable caps like most automotive engines?

Jim
Old 19-08-2020, 15:56   #87

Quote:
Wottie, I'm not familiar with these engines... does this mean that the main bearings are not split with removable caps like most automotive engines?

Jim
That is correct Jim.

They are one piece and are pressed into the block at the PTO end and pressed into a mounting plate at the flywheel end. This mounting plate is then bolted onto the block thus capturing the crankshaft in the block. There is a thrust washer/bearing at each end.

While the picture is not entirely clear, it shows the bearing pressed into the flywheel end mounting plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	QM Main Bearing.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	221638  
Old 19-08-2020, 17:14   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So there are only two main bearings?
That sux, surely there is a normal split bearing with a cap for the middle?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 17:58   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So there are only two main bearings?
That sux, surely there is a normal split bearing with a cap for the middle?
Yep, two mains on the 2QM20 but three mains on the 3QM30.

For anyone interested, here is the relevant page from the manual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	QM crank.png
Views:	58
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	221643  
Old 19-08-2020, 18:29   #90

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Finally got the head back from the machine shop. Valve seats recut and valves reground and lapped. Very light skim off the head surface.

Now waiting for rings, bearings and valve springs to arrive in the post - but this could take four to six weeks. I probably should spend some of this time giving the block a paint!

So it's baby steps forward!!!!
Head and valves turned out nice...

Since you've got a good flat head, I'm wondering if you know about getting a good flat block. The head engine rebuilder at a Detroit Diesel distributor 40 years ago showed me how.

What happens is when you torque the head, the 'crush space' in the gasket that seals the combustion chamber allows the area immediately around the head bolts/studs to be permanently 'pulled up', not much, but enough to possibly interfere with the sealing of the head gasket later down the road.

The fix is to pull the studs, take a good big (14" is about right) sharp flat file and dress the surface to remove these high areas around the bolt holes. You're not trying to mill the surface, so don't get carried away; just take long slow strokes with even pressure all the way across the entire sealing surface.

You'll see the 'halos' of bright metal appear around the bolts holes as you go; these will also tell you when you're done.

It's not absolutely necessary, but it will make the head/block joint last longer.

I've made this suggestion before on other threads here, so if I'm repeating myself, or if you already are aware of this, never mind...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm20, engine, oil, water