Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2020, 16:40   #61

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sea Water and Oil - How Much is Too Much for an Engine (2QM20)!

Wottie,

The spring you showed us had rust on the end, where the material is flattened. Maybe you could photograph that, too, for comment.

Ann

(Yes, still following...)
Old 25-07-2020, 17:14   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Ignore my post #59 Wottie as i had another look in better light at your "flame nozzle" & it looks perfect. Might have been beer goggle distortion on first viewing.

v/v springs don't look bad to me but I've never had rusty valve springs in an engine so that means nothing. Professional engine reconditioners advice needed on that one

Collets & spring cups I can't see being an issue
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 17:41   #63

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I’ve forgotten... what am I following?
Old 25-07-2020, 23:47   #64

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

Great result so far Wotname. Spring "tension" is what's needed. Normally checked with a compress tool with gauge attached, however as long as they're pretty uniform they should be okay for the lower revving diesel motors. If one or more springs are really easy to compress, (by hand) valve bounce will happen. I've actually had a couple of motors that have run poorly at idle, although compression readings were good via stater motor speed. After chasing other causes without success, I removed the rocker cover and individually pushed each valve down manually, and found a weak spring. It was valve bouncing at idle!
PaulMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 00:04   #65

The other item I would check are the valve "end caps" in figures 5 & 6. I noticed they "appear" to have wear and pitting on their tops, where the rockers push. If so you will get false tappet adjustment readings. Make sure they are flat and square on their tops, and also check the rockers to make sure they also don't have a worn indent. Both can be ground square again by using a fine stoned bench grinder, or if you watch your fingers carefully, a fine stoned angle grinder. Be careful as the valve caps are very slippery critters using either method!

Hope this is useful.
Old 26-07-2020, 01:45   #66
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Wottie,

The spring you showed us had rust on the end, where the material is flattened. Maybe you could photograph that, too, for comment.

Ann

(Yes, still following...)
Here you go!

I had difficulty getting it in focus - mainly due to my poor camera skills and an ageing iPhone camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4622.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	220023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4623.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	220024  

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 01:58   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarion View Post
The other item I would check are the valve "end caps" in figures 5 & 6. I noticed they "appear" to have wear and pitting on their tops, where the rockers push. If so you will get false tappet adjustment readings. Make sure they are flat and square on their tops, and also check the rockers to make sure they also don't have a worn indent. Both can be ground square again by using a fine stoned bench grinder, or if you watch your fingers carefully, a fine stoned angle grinder. Be careful as the valve caps are very slippery critters using either method!

Hope this is useful.
Yes, you comments are helpful - thank you.

And yes, some of end caps are pitted, especially the circled red ones. I assume these are surface hardened so I wasn't sure what was the best approach. Leave it and keep an eye on the tappet adjustment. Try to grind it back somewhat and then keep an eye on the tappet adjustment. Get new (or good used ones). I guess the best approach is to replace if possible but.....

To grind them, I would probably make up an hardwood "jig" to hold them and use a fine belt on the linishing tool. Is there any worthwhile DIY method of rehardening the surface post grinding??? We used to harden mild steel with heat and oil quenching but I dunno if that it good enough for these items or if I would simply be making matters worse!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4616.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	220025  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-07-2020, 02:14   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarion View Post
Great result so far Wotname. Spring "tension" is what's needed. Normally checked with a compress tool with gauge attached, however as long as they're pretty uniform they should be okay for the lower revving diesel motors. If one or more springs are really easy to compress, (by hand) valve bounce will happen. I've actually had a couple of motors that have run poorly at idle, although compression readings were good via stater motor speed. After chasing other causes without success, I removed the rocker cover and individually pushed each valve down manually, and found a weak spring. It was valve bouncing at idle!
The manual does give a loaded spring force but I haven't checked it yet. It also gives free length of 38mm with a wear limit of 37.7mm These springs measure at 37.4mm.

Sort of thinking now they should be replaced considering the rust and length but always open to other ideas.
Old 26-07-2020, 06:14   #69

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I'd ask your head guy what he thinks.

From the pictures, what concerns I would have would be with the pits on the springs shown in the 2 enlargements below.

I'd have no problem using any of the other parts, though the clean-up procedure on the caps and rocker arm contacts Paul recommended seems like a good idea to me. Also another good place to get the head man's opinion; he may even have a grinder specifically for that job.

For my personal use, and this is not a recommendation, unless the parts were readily available and reasonably priced, I'd probably run what I had. That is unless the part's condition are actually worse than can be seen in the pictures.

The orange is more concerning, the yellow less so. What looks like deep pits shown in the second picture are most concerning, because the corrosion could be more extensive than shown on the surface.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spring1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	220035   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	220036  

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 06:28   #70

I'd be replacing the springs after comparing the results to the specs. Not worth the chance of dropping a valve because of their weakness or breakage. Regards, Paul.
Old 26-07-2020, 06:53   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe spring height is used as a way to determine fatigue, eventually all springs if cycled enough will break, so I’d replace them.
Having said that, it’s very common on overhauls to shim the springs, and they get away with it too, so who knows.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 07:16   #72

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Didn't notice the measurement post. Nonetheless, the difference in go/no-go is .3 mm, or .011", the difference in standard length and observed length is .6 mm, or .023".

In my mind, the critical criteria are the extent of the pitting and the measurement of length at load (if you're lucky the book will list two values); neither criteria lend themselves very well to an online evaluation.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 02:43   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe spring height is used as a way to determine fatigue, eventually all springs if cycled enough will break, so I’d replace them.
Having said that, it’s very common on overhauls to shim the springs, and they get away with it too, so who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Didn't notice the measurement post. Nonetheless, the difference in go/no-go is .3 mm, or .011", the difference in standard length and observed length is .6 mm, or .023".

In my mind, the critical criteria are the extent of the pitting and the measurement of length at load (if you're lucky the book will list two values); neither criteria lend themselves very well to an online evaluation.
Regarding free spring height, I can't help wondering if there is a mis-print in the manual I am using. Out of curiosity, I checked three other small Yanmar engines, 2QM15, 2GM20 and YSM12 manuals. These engines have a max rpm between 3000 and 3600 while the 2QM20 max rpm is 2800.

2QM15: free height 36.5mm, wear limit 35mm (difference 1.5mm)
2GM20: free height 38.5mm, wear limit 37mm (difference 1.5mm)
YSM12: free height 40mm, wear limit 38.5mm (difference 1.5mm)

This pattern is quite different to the 2QM20 manual which is free height 38mm, wear limit 37.7mm (difference 0.3mm).

It doesn't feel correct...
Old 27-07-2020, 16:15   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Regarding free spring height, I can't help wondering if there is a mis-print in the manual I am using. Out of curiosity, I checked three other small Yanmar engines, 2QM15, 2GM20 and YSM12 manuals. These engines have a max rpm between 3000 and 3600 while the 2QM20 max rpm is 2800.

2QM15: free height 36.5mm, wear limit 35mm (difference 1.5mm)
2GM20: free height 38.5mm, wear limit 37mm (difference 1.5mm)
YSM12: free height 40mm, wear limit 38.5mm (difference 1.5mm)

This pattern is quite different to the 2QM20 manual which is free height 38mm, wear limit 37.7mm (difference 0.3mm).

It doesn't feel correct...
Good thinking Wottie!
Though I'm a risk taker I don't like your pitting pics in v/v springs from the metal failure point of view. Though I'm no stress analysis engineer I can guarantee they wouldn't like pitting like that in a hardened steel spring subject to constant movement. Would be less worried about pitting on the base but in the middle of the spring it's a worry. Cheap as I am I'd probably spring for replacements, even Yanmar replacements.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 16:36   #75

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Wottie,

Couple of thoughts...

If you decide to replace the springs and the Yanmar ones are either not available or too dear, there ain't anything very special about them, and some trawling at other engine specs might well turn up acceptable alternatives, used or new.

And re the possibility of re-doing the heat treat on worn rockers, etc: pretty hard to do without knowing the exact alloy that they are made from. Getting the sequence and temperatures wrong (ie how hot to heat and how fast to quench) could lead to catastrophic failure. From distant memory, those surfaces (in the American engines I used to break) were surface treated rather than hardened throughout, and I t hink that would be hard to re-do at home.

I'd be inclined to just polish them a bit and run 'em, checking valve lash now and then. If accelerated wear appears, then replacement isn't too hard after the fact.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
2qm20, engine, oil, water