Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 18:40   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Sea Water and Oil - How Much is Too Much for an Engine (2QM20)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Did you try a drift & hammer on your v/v guides?
Ahh... no - should I?
Was gunna leave that to the engine shop man - thinking that I would be doing more damage than good with stuff where I have zero experience - not that has stopped me in the past
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 19:21   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Well they are an interference fit so I would normally use a press but for the YSM8 it shows a "special tool" that you can buy from the yanmar agent for a kings ransom ( basically a 7mm pin punch ) to be used with a hammer for removing v/v guides.
I was just curious to know if you tried it. FYI you can buy a reamer for not much from alislow if you want to install new guides yourself.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 12:48   #33

Boat: Lancer 36

As a retired professional mechanic, I can't say i approve of all of your methods, but it is amazing what can run even when out of specs. Your water intrusion problem may have been caused by a failed oil seal on the water pump">raw water pump, allowing sea water into the block via the camshaft.....keep us posted.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 14:22   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
good to hear someone somewhere is reading this
Actually, it's on my "must read" list. Possibly a bizarre interest for a little old lady, but...there you go!

Ann
Old 19-05-2020, 14:39   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Actually, it's on my "must read" list. Possibly a bizarre interest for a little old lady, but...there you go!

Ann
And people ask me why I married her!

Jim
Old 20-05-2020, 05:19   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
As a retired professional mechanic, I can't say i approve of all of your methods, but it is amazing what can run even when out of specs. Your water intrusion problem may have been caused by a failed oil seal on the raw water pump, allowing sea water into the block via the camshaft.....keep us posted.
Yes, that possibility was an initial consideration. The RW pump was incomplete and in parts when I got the engine which sort of supported that view however an internal inspection of the PTO end of the engine did not show much corrosion. Maybe I will never know for sure.

As for my methods, heck even I don't approve of all of them . If there is something that is particularly egregious to you (or others), please feel free to shout out! My skin is thick(ish) . Rest assured I am more pedantic when it comes to the re-assembly work.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-05-2020, 05:24   #37

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes, that possibility was an initial consideration. The RW pump was incomplete and in parts when I got the engine which sort of supported that view however an internal inspection of the PTO end of the engine did not show much corrosion. Maybe I will never know for sure.

As for my methods, heck even I don't approve of all of them . If there is something that is particularly egregious to you (or others), please feel free to shout out! My skin is thick(ish) . Rest assured I am more pedantic when it comes to the re-assembly work.

If it helps, this is what you could expect to see. This is what the end of the PTO driving a dud r/w pump looks like...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200118_123901_001.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	215437  
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 05:55   #38

The next stage is take the liners, crankshaft and head to the engine machine shop for a professional measure and inspection. That will happen next week and at this stage I am unsure how long before I know more.

In the meantime perhaps any professional mechanic (or other knowledgeable people) can answer the following question.

Generally speaking engine wise, is mechanical wear linear? For instance, say an item (piston etc) has a wear limit of 10 thou and it measures at 5 thou, is it half way through it's life assuming similar operating conditions?

Put another way, does the first 5 thou wear faster or slower or at the same rate as the next 5 thou?

I have always assumed it was linear but I realise this is just an assumption on my part and maybe I should ask the question!
Old 20-05-2020, 06:47   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And people ask me why I married her!

Jim

Actually, most of us are wondering why she married YOU.
Old 20-05-2020, 06:49   #40

Quote:
.. That will happen next week and at this stage I am unsure how long before I know more.

Get your skates on mate... I’m expecting a ride in this bucket when they eventually lift the inter-state travel restrictions.

P.S. that initial sump picture looked a lot like my bath water.
Old 20-05-2020, 16:39   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Generally speaking engine wise, is mechanical wear linear? For instance, say an item (piston etc) has a wear limit of 10 thou and it measures at 5 thou, is it half way through it's life assuming similar operating conditions?

Put another way, does the first 5 thou wear faster or slower or at the same rate as the next 5 thou?

I have always assumed it was linear but I realise this is just an assumption on my part and maybe I should ask the question![/QUOTE

Good thinking Wottie not to make the assumption.
According to a very experienced, well regarded machinist cobber it's not linear. In his words "wear is a funny thing, you get none for a long time & then it gets to a point where it starts accelerating"
I take what he says seriously as he has pointed out the flaws in my Baldrick plans before. I always prefer a study to hearsay so hopefully someone chimes in with one.
I assume, with increasing clearances, the wear rate should increase as imagine a piston flopping back & forth in a cylinder. The smaller the piston diameter gets the bigger the impact when it contacts the cylinder walls. But that's just an idea, need proof.
Following with interest.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 18:24   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Interesting question, wottie!

Another way of looking at it is that as the engine wears, the power output is lessened, and thus the loads on everything are lessened (I think). But then, some surfaces, crank journals for one, are surface hardened. When that thin layer is broached (breeched?) the wear rate will indeed accelerate. And exhaust valves... once t hey begin to leak at all, the wear (or erosion) rate goes up dramatically.

So, I suspect that wear rates as a function of time or fraction of tolerance are not the same for all parts of an engine. How's that for equivocation???

Jim
Old 20-05-2020, 19:08   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

P.S. that initial sump picture looked a lot like my bath water.
You channelling Cleopatra...???

I have been warned about Croweaters
Old 20-05-2020, 19:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Actually, most of us are wondering why she married YOU.
The quintessential unfathomable existential question .

Ya a deep thinker Matt!
Old 20-05-2020, 19:15   #45

Quote:
The quintessential unfathomable existential question .

Ya a deep thinker Matt!

Gotta do something in my bath of crow’s milk.

Tags
2qm20, engine, oil, water