Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 19:01   #1

Boat: 1972 Morgan Out Island, 41'
Scuffing a Yanmar YSE 12 clutch?

I lost foward power from the transmission some time ago, its a 1974 yanmar yse 12, and took apart the gear box to try and 'deglaze' the foward clutch plate. Ive finally got the thing apart after a lot of confusion, but now im not positively sure what part here I should be cleaning with what, sanding, or adding any fine grinding paste to, or what damage is really present on any of the plates. Any help is greatly appreciated, happy new years all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210101_185916.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	229782   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210101_185850.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	229783  

Name:	20210101_185902.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	229784   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210101_185852.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	229785  

Will10MNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 19:14   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Scuffing a Yanmar YSE 12 clutch?

If you don't have the YSE service manual, PM me with an email address and I can send you a pdf copy.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 19:20   #3

This one? Its the only one I've found, it doesn't go too much into detail about rescuffing the plates, just disassembly, if im not wrong. Understanding the thing is taking me a couple reads though, so I probably missed it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210101-191742_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	229787  
Old 01-01-2021, 19:29   #4

Update, im figured which surfaces are responsible for foward friction, definitely smoothed out a bit. Just wondering what to use to clean and scuff them now before rebuilding.
Old 01-01-2021, 19:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Sorry never heard of scuffing a clutch.
Did you check the minimum thickness? I think but didnt check its the same as a YSM12 so std is 6mm & min is 4.5.
I sell aftermarket parts for those engines & no-one has asked for a clutch plate IIRC so must be uncommon for them to fail.
Make sure its adjusted properly when you re-install.

Did the gearbox get water in inside? looks rusty.
If you find out about cleaning or scuffing from somewhere else please post details as I'm curious about that.

If its reversible ( I cant remember) you could flip it over. Of course you would lose reverse if nothing else changes but that may be better than no fwd to you.

Can post a YSM12 manual which is more detailed & largely the same if you PM me.
Good luck
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 20:02   #6

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/de-glazing-km2a-clutch-cones-95325.html
This is the post I was going off of for 'deglazing' possibly with the grinding paste. Ill have to measure my plates to check the width of them right now, thank you for that information. Im not sure about water, the gasket that went around the housing was falling apart as I opened it so maybe there? Not sure about replacing that gasket yet either, my local yanmar parts dealer isn't open until the 4th. The previous owner said he put lucas oil stabilizer in the gearbox, so im not sure if thats what caused the problem here.
Old 01-01-2021, 20:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will10MNT View Post
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/de-glazing-km2a-clutch-cones-95325.html
This is the post I was going off of for 'deglazing' possibly with the grinding paste. Ill have to measure my plates to check the width of them right now, thank you for that information. Im not sure about water, the gasket that went around the housing was falling apart as I opened it so maybe there? Not sure about replacing that gasket yet either, my local yanmar parts dealer isn't open until the 4th. The previous owner said he put lucas oil stabilizer in the gearbox, so im not sure if thats what caused the problem here.

Thanks for posting link.
You may find more info about clutch deglazing on youtube.
If I was you I'd replace the crankshaft oil seal if it hasnt been done before whilst you have the gearbox off. You should be able to get an oil seal from any bearing supply place if you dont destroy the numbers on the old one.
You can use a product like Loctite 518 flange sealant or silicone instead of Yanmars over-priced gaskets. When using silicone I like to put a thin even layer on one face & let it go off overnight before bolting up. Thats how our gearbox is sealed. Use threadlocker ( loctite 242 or similar) on every bolt too as you will know they vibrate a lot.

I dont know what Lucas oil stabilizer is but if it has teflon or something like that in it that is a risky thing to do in a wet clutch gearbox.
I'd be giving the gearbox a good cleaning & refill with straight sae30 CD. We actually use 20w-50CF in our YSM8 gearbox with no problems if you cant find straight 30.
Old 01-01-2021, 20:24   #8

Thank you very much for the information, ill keep this updated as I work on it again tomorrow. I'll have to get the things for the seal and bolts, and I guess just some brakelean for the clutch itself to start with.
Old 01-01-2021, 20:31   #9
Marine Service Provider

Yea Brakekleen probly a good start after a measure,
4.5mm is 0.1772 in BTW if u have imperial calipers or mike.
Old 01-01-2021, 22:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will10MNT View Post
Hmm... I not sure you are doing the right thing here. The 'deglazing' of a cone clutch when it is slipping is a very different thing to a slipping of a friction plate clutch (ie YSE clutch).

The cone clutch is two metal cones that are forced together by the engine torque to ensure the transfer of power.

The YSE is a traditional plate covered by the friction material. When the material gets too thin, it slips.

Maybe yours has become glazed and is slipping and maybe it is possible to remove the glazing but go carefully. If it gets too thin, it won't work.

If it is too thin and if you can't a source a new or useable second hand one, you have to replace the friction material or build up the metal plate it engages with. Both are significant undertakings.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-01-2021, 22:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... I not sure you are doing the right thing here. The 'deglazing' of a cone clutch when it is slipping is a very different thing to a slipping of a friction plate clutch (ie YSE clutch).

The cone clutch is two metal cones that are forced together by the engine torque to ensure the transfer of power.

The YSE is a traditional plate covered by the friction material. When the material gets too thin, it slips.

Maybe yours has become glazed and is slipping and maybe it is possible to remove the glazing but go carefully. If it gets too thin, it won't work.

If it is too thin and if you can't a source a new or useable second hand one, you have to replace the friction material or build up the metal plate it engages with. Both are significant undertakings.

Glad you chimed in cobber, didnt realize his cone clutch thread was talking about metal cones.
Had a cone clutch on a previous boats gearbox that was similar friction material to the YSE 12 so just assumed ( never assume) it was the same.
I emailed him the YSM manual to give him more detail.
Worse comes to the worst he can get his friction plate relined, well at least he can here, dunno about where he lives.
Couldnt find a thickness spec in YSE manual, just a wear spec, max 2mm.
Can you find a thickness spec for YSE?
Its past beer o'clock here so manual searching performance plummeting.
Old 02-01-2021, 00:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Glad you chimed in cobber, didnt realize his cone clutch thread was talking about metal cones.
Had a cone clutch on a previous boats gearbox that was similar friction material to the YSE 12 so just assumed ( never assume) it was the same.
I emailed him the YSM manual to give him more detail.
Worse comes to the worst he can get his friction plate relined, well at least he can here, dunno about where he lives.
Opps - I'm guilty of assuming also. The cone clutches I have messed with were metal (some sort of brass/bronze) so I ASSUMED the 2GM20 cone clutch was the same - maybe it isn't!

Nevertheless, I don't think one can just rough up a clutch plate once the material is too thin.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Can't find a YSE clutch spec, only one for the YSM which is nominal 6mm and a wear limit of 4.5mm
Old 02-01-2021, 01:59   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Can't find a YSE clutch spec, only one for the YSM which is nominal 6mm and a wear limit of 4.5mm

Ok thanks cobber, we tried to help him as far as possible to this point anyway.
He said in PM that no mechanic wants to help him. Can see why as old engine could have multiple problems & owner gets taken aback when repairs can cost more than the boat.

Awaiting next post frm OP....
Old 02-01-2021, 02:25   #15

@Will10MNT, measure the thickness of both clutch plates (forward and reverse), it may give you some idea of the wear (or lack of) in the fwd plate.

Tags
clutch, yanmar