Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 08:12   #1

Safe to put a gas outboard on electric powered boat?

I am purchasing a 30 ft O`Day sailboat today after work. It was repowered with an electric motor 6 years ago. The owners states that the 48 volt engine was used partially because anything higher can be more prone to arching. My plan is to put a bracket with longshaft used outboard on the back . This will allow me to get the boat home and will extend the electric motors range. Which will allow wknd and week long voyages to be feasable.IS THIS SAFE? Plastic 6 gal gas can .A little honda generator is on my thought list, while this may help it does not seem like a significant solution to the range issue. Please help asap since the boat is a steal and I`m headed down to purchase it after work.Keep in mind cost is of the theme in my case or I would be buying a diesal boat.
Adventuredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 08:29   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Safe to put a gas outboard on electric powered boat?

Go for it. But did the boat originally have an engine?
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 08:38   #3

An outboard will get you where you need to go. Keep the tank outside not in a locker. Man people do it with a gas flame stove, so I don't think a possible electric motor spark would be an issue. The Out board could double as your dingy outboard with a little thought.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 08:59   #4

The O'Day 30 had a diesel that was losing power and the owner was an electrician . He is older and had trouble selling it with the electric motor so decided to reduce it to an almost rediculous cheap price .
Adventuredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 10:49   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuredude View Post
The O'Day 30 had a diesel that was losing power and the owner was an electrician . He is older and had trouble selling it with the electric motor so decided to reduce it to an almost rediculous cheap price .
And that's what happens when you try to be "cute". He would have been much better off repairing or replacing the original diesel engine.
Old 16-03-2016, 11:09   #6

If any gas goes into hatches or the bilge, it needs to be treated like a gas powered boat with bilge blowers and such.

I suspect you will need to run the blowers any time the engine is in use. With a gas or diesel engine, it is constantly drawing air from the engine room so any fumes get sucked out limiting the ability for fumes to reach a dangerous level. With an electric motor, you probably can't get away with running the blower for a few minutes and then turning it off.

Keep the outboard and fuel completely outside and probably no need to do anything special for safety but unless you put a lot of thought into it, it will be a limited propulsion system.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 09:04   #7

Boat: Kolibri 12'sloop

For our tanzer7.5 it would be an ideal situation We only use the 9.9 merc to get in &out of marina.Even a very short range electric would serve us.Having such a quiet and easy aux
propultion would be ideal,the outboard would help if extended range was required.Want to trade?
ReneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 11:31   #8

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Electric propulsion is the Future, be proud of it and use it consciously (and differently of a diesel engine, of course...)

Go for it, and think of adding solar panels

Fair winds
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 13:56   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Electric is great for getting into and out of the marina...nice and quiet, lots of control. Adding an outboard on a stern bracket is a great idea for extending range, especially if it can double on your dinghy...what a great setup!

Buy it!
Its a great deal!
Where is the boat located....I'll buy it if you don't!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 14:03   #10

Boat: Caliber 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Electric is great for getting into and out of the marina...nice and quiet, lots of control.
Just curious
How does an electric motor provides better control than gas or diesel?
Old 17-03-2016, 14:39   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailtheWind View Post
Just curious
How does an electric motor provides better control than gas or diesel?
Low revs torque. It's the one area that electric motors excel.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 14:45   #12

Boat: Caliber 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
thank you
Old 17-03-2016, 14:47   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuredude View Post
I am purchasing a 30 ft O`Day sailboat today after work. It was repowered with an electric motor 6 years ago. The owners states that the 48 volt engine was used partially because anything higher can be more prone to arching. My plan is to put a bracket with longshaft used outboard on the back . This will allow me to get the boat home and will extend the electric motors range. Which will allow wknd and week long voyages to be feasable.IS THIS SAFE? Plastic 6 gal gas can .A little honda generator is on my thought list, while this may help it does not seem like a significant solution to the range issue. Please help asap since the boat is a steal and I`m headed down to purchase it after work.Keep in mind cost is of the theme in my case or I would be buying a diesal boat.
Hi have you considered the addition of a small genset instead of an outboard, use it to power the electric motor and supply power when anchored out.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 15:32   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
How about neutral...do you need neutral with an electric drive? I spend most of my time in the marina in neutral, slowing down. With an electric drive, I think this is merely...zero rpm...kinda like "off". But its instantly available if/when needed for some revs.

Also, with no diesel running (in neutral), I'd be able to hear what the crew forward is trying to say.

I just need a little punch of reverse to stop the boat. Thats perfect for an electric drive.

Also, my diesel sometimes quits when idling low. So instead of watching where I'm going, I'm head down trying to restart the thing. You don't have to "start" an electric drive...its just always ready to go.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, outboard