Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2021, 23:47   #1

Boat: Nicholson 38
Rust on my spare filters

I use Racor 12S filters and keep several spares on board. We have a Perkins 4-108, 1974 model. The Racor is the secondary filter (ie, the first filter from the tank).

To my horror, I found that my spares have all gone rusty! Dang this salt water environment..... I mean, I love Hawaii, but it corrodes everything. Computers, USB cables, phones, amplifiers, and now diesel filters.

So, can anyone tell me if I can somehow clean these and go ahead and use them or are they toast!?? Will the primary filter catch all the rust particles?

The rust is not really deep. If you touch it with your fingers, it comes off as a very fine light powder, kind of like rouge. It has no graininess, just color.

Any advice appreciated.

Toaster
Old 05-04-2021, 04:43   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Rust on my spare filters

Personally i would replace them with new. In the big picture why risk problems from this, but the engine mounted filter will/should trap the rust.

Suggest you store them in a plastic bag.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: bavaria 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
I use Racor 12S filters and keep several spares on board. We have a Perkins 4-108, 1974 model. The Racor is the secondary filter (ie, the first filter from the tank).

To my horror, I found that my spares have all gone rusty! Dang this salt water environment..... I mean, I love Hawaii, but it corrodes everything. Computers, USB cables, phones, amplifiers, and now diesel filters.
Toaster
For that reason, I bay Chinese copy of racor like this for you https://www.ebay.com/itm/500FG-500FH...4AAOSwQN5gZnQk
if you have space in the engine room but this filter is huge

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1340...archweb201603_
but also not to expensive orginal marine RACOR 500MA2 in USA around 200-250$
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 16:40   #4

They were in plastic bags, but the tropics make everything rust, even my brains.

Part of my question is what I should do if I am way out there, and find all my filters rusted? Should I delay a scheduled maintenance change, possibly for a few months? I guess I feel like a delay would make sense - after all, they are presumably working fine at that point.

And of course, if I had to change a clogged one, I'd have no choice. Then I wonder about washing them in clean diesel first.

Cheers.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 17:40   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Can you determine if the rust is also on the inside of the filter housing? It sounds like it might just be external...

Jim
Old 06-04-2021, 18:13   #6

Good question! I looked inside the small opening, where you can see the spin-on threads and they all have a little rust on them. Like I said, very fine like jeweler's rouge.

I flipped it over and looked inside the big opening, and thought - oh **** that's a lot of rust down there - so I poked it with my finger and realized it's just a plastic component - rust brown colored. :-) Everything I can see from this side is either paper or plastic.

It does appear that the only rust is on the plate that is on the end that screws onto the filter housing. The part that mates to the gasket is powder coated and just fine. Underneath the rusted plate, I can see a metal sheet that is quite clean, could be stainless or more likely well galvanized.

The flow direction of the diesel must be from the paper side (where the bowl is) through the filter paper into the sides and then up through the rusty area. Too bad it's not the other way around so the filter paper would catch the rust.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 18:38   #7

Can't help with the filter but buy a big bag of these 5 gram desiccant packs. Put one in the salt shaker, in the spice jars, in the sugar, a few in the plastic bag with the filters or tools. Makes all the difference.

They turn pink when they've absorbed water. Then put them in a 200F oven for 30 minutes and they're back to blue and ready to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reusable-Si...IAAOSw7GNatos3
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 18:47   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about them too much. However, if you are anxious, and there are more than one of them, sacrifice one by sawing open and inspecting the innards for rust. That should clear it up for you.

Jim
Old 06-04-2021, 20:12   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hi, when storing filters on board if you mist them with wd40, crc or any of the plethora of similar products and then into zip lock bags and store away from obvious moisture rich areas there will not be any problems.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 20:51   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

I store stuff which is likely to go rusty in these things. You can make them to fit any length. Plumbing department at Bunnings.

I'd clean them up and if you can take the output line off and pump some fuel through the filter back into the tank to flush out any loose stuff before reconnecting the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210407134253.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	236050