Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 09:32   #61

Re: Running Diesel tank empty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
It's good way to keep the tank clean. For what it's worth, it's not uncommon to run a fuel tank dry in a piston plane. However, you can switch tanks when the engine or the psi needle starts to flicker. Plus the engine starts right up again. I avoid running out of fuel in the boat for many reasons
Having run one tank empty while flying, over the last few thousand hours, because of a malfunctioning fuel gauge, I can say, this is not a common strategy by any pilot! Yes, I had another tank to switch to, but it no less made my heart stop at the same time! Airplane engines, not withstanding they are running 100 low lead gas and not diesel, should be kept to your :30 day and :45 night reserve. The potential for sediment clogging injectors, when switching tanks could make the second tank switch at risk to say the least. Cleaning sump should be done while on the ground. For a boat while in service, is my opinion, so that if clogging occurs, you can deal with it, without being stranded 500 miles from shore. Your back up isn't the jerry cans on deck, but the sails attached to your mast and forestay. But that is only my humble opinion.
spsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:04   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I use a stud finder to detect the level of diesel in my tank...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:52   #63

Boat: John G. Alden transitional schooner, 60' Length on Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Ya donít do that. The diesel is the lubricant for the fuel system including your injection pump and running it dry is running it dry.
^^^ THIS!!

Gasoline airplane and auto engines do NOT use their fuel as a lubricant for the fuel pump, a diesel does. Just as you would not run your engine without lubricating oil you shouldn't run your diesel without fuel oil. (Unless you don't mind replacing your injector pump eventually)
Old 16-08-2019, 11:35   #64

Boat: Olson 40

To Sailing Harry - You mentioned picking up diesel on your way to the boat. I also do that, buying automotive diesel, and my 3YM20 appears to run just fine. The only difference I note is that the color additive is different and the cost is lower. My question to the CF Community is: Is there something I am missing, using automotive diesel?
tdgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 11:36   #65

To Sailor 647 - Your photo shows your tank access covers are transparent. I would think polycarbonate would be a good choice, acrylic and glass being crack prone, but let me ask:. What material are you using?
Old 16-08-2019, 11:52   #66

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgaffney View Post
To Sailing Harry - You mentioned picking up diesel on your way to the boat. I also do that, buying automotive diesel, and my 3YM20 appears to run just fine. The only difference I note is that the color additive is different and the cost is lower. My question to the CF Community is: Is there something I am missing, using automotive diesel?
In certain jurisdictions fuel was colored to indicate where it was purchased and whether tax was paid on it. Diesel purchased for road use was taxed at a lower rate and was not legal of use in vessels. Authorities could check the color of your fuel to see if it was legal or not. Penalties could be severe.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 12:18   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Err, sorry. I thought this was a site about boats. Which tend to have diesel engines. Not something I am aware are fitted to planes. If I wanted to read about planes I would be looking somewhere else.

More amusingly, 4 pages about a darned silly idea. Who in their right mind would deliberately want to run their boat engine dry? Presumably the same sort of person who thinks that it is a good idea to run their car dry. I suppose I could find a car site where there are people who espouse that. There is just such a frisson about putting oneself and others in danger for no good reason.
At the end of the season, and many times after every use, lots of folks run an outboard (boat engine) dry. Gensets too.

And it's SOP every time you shut down a piston aircraft engine.

Sometimes it makes sense.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 12:48   #68

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
In certain jurisdictions fuel was colored to indicate where it was purchased and whether tax was paid on it. Diesel purchased for road use was taxed at a lower rate and was not legal of use in vessels. Authorities could check the color of your fuel to see if it was legal or not. Penalties could be severe.

Close, but backwards. Road tax is expensive, and off-road fuel is (in theory) cheaper because it isn't taxed (but the revenuer doesn't care which is cheaper -- he cares if the road tax was paid). So, the red dye is for un-taxed fuel. Put it in your tractor or boat all day long, no worries. But put 10 gallons in your car or tractor trailer (more likely to be caught on the commercial trucks -- no one has ever inspected the fuel in my diesel car!), and it will show traces of red for the next two or three tanks.

Now, practically, I can buy off road diesel (no tax, red dye) at the fuel dock or at a High's gas station -- but it is almost always cheaper to buy regular diesel (road tax included) at Wawa.

It is also going to be fresher (the Wawa pumps a LOT of fuel!) and is easier than going to the fuel dock. And the Wawa never bitches about my small fuel purchase either!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 12:58   #69

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Lots of replys on this, but to me the simplest way is to pick up a new fuel level sensor for your fuel tank. Buy a mechanical gauge that provides an electrical output for your cockpit mounted fuel gauge. The mechanical gauges operate on a very simple float that is very accurate. It just means you have to pull up the floor boards to look at the top of the tank.
DaveKurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 14:28   #70

Wow, some of you are very paranoid. He didn't say that he would routinely run the boat out of fuel. Only if he ended up on emergency reserves. He didn't say what his capacities are, but for example, assume he has a 30 gallon tank, and 6 5 gallon gerry cans. He adds 5 of the Gerry cans as he's running as many have suggested, but keeps the last in reserve. After running the engine for 100 hours on his passage, he should have burned 50 gallons at average rate, but if off by only 10% he could now be running on fumes or still have 10 gallons left.
My engine burns 0.5 gph at idle, and 5.6 gph at full throttle, thats a 1020% range. So, personally I like the idea of running the tank dry to know that I have 5 gallons left, assuming the weather and sea state is such that running dry would not create an emergency situation.
As far running the tank dry harming the engine, I cannot believe that is a serious consideration. No measurable wear is going to occur in the few seconds it takes for the engine to stop spinning. If its turbocharged and requires a cool down period that is a different matter.
As far as running the tank dry gathering gunk that would not otherwise get sucked up, I don't believe that happens, I think gunk get sucked up when fuel get low but still enough to slosh around in the tank. Ether way getting the gunk out of the tank and into the filter is a good thing.. If your tank is dirty enough to clog a filter, the prudent thing to do is get it cleaned, not avoid using all the fuel.
Jlp0217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 16:48   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau.Vrolyk View Post
^^^ THIS!!

Gasoline airplane and auto engines do NOT use their fuel as a lubricant for the fuel pump, a diesel does. Just as you would not run your engine without lubricating oil you shouldn't run your diesel without fuel oil. (Unless you don't mind replacing your injector pump eventually)
Do you know how the manufactures enable you to stop a diesel engine?
I'll let you know as many haven't thought it through.
Diesel engines have a mechanism to SHUT OFF THE FUEL SUPPLY
Therefore they must run "dry" every time you stop them.

Good warning earlier about turbos but OP's engine is non-turbo

Hope if I'm flying into the bush & the pilot runs one tank dry he warns me tho as it might get rather smelly in the cabin otherwise.
Compass790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:00   #72

To Sailing Harry - Thank you for the 'correction' on gas taxes. I called the Washington State Revenue department and they didn't know the answer re taxes (?). The fellow was nice enough and said he'd look into it and call me back, but he hasn't, not yet.

The other question I had posed was "will automotive diesel be Harmful to my 3YM20?" Of course, I am SURE the answer is NO, diesel is diesel. But as Mark Twain said "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't right!"

So: Will automotive diesel be harmful you my 3YM20? (sign me Nervous in Seattle)
Old 16-08-2019, 17:23   #73

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Compass790;
Hope if I'm flying into the bush & the pilot runs one tank dry he warns me tho as it might get rather smelly in the cabin otherwise.[/QUOTE]

It's not like the pilot is unaware the tank is about to run dry. If you didn't see them messing with something, you might not even notice a tank ran dry. Fuel left in a tank is worthless weight and a bomb if you crash.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:54   #74
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgaffney View Post

The other question I had posed was "will automotive diesel be Harmful to my 3YM20?" Of course, I am SURE the answer is NO, diesel is diesel. But as Mark Twain said "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't right!"

So: Will automotive diesel be harmful you my 3YM20? (sign me Nervous in Seattle)
The short answer is NO.

The long answer is contained in the 3YM30 manual which details Yanmar's fuel requirements for the 3YM30; see screenshot below.

You will need to check the specification of your local auto diesel supplier to confirm what they supply
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3YM30 Fuel.png
Views:	33
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	197973  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 18:37   #75

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Why would you want do it?
Calculate your fuel use and keep the tank always with some fuel ready to provide necessary engine power to avoid ---getting run down, backing down to avoid a reef, to forcing the boat to tack-away from danger or to run the other away from danger.
Sail boats are given certain rights in the Col Regs because of their limited ability to maneuver --the engine gives you the ability to maneuver. In a 'situation' --and a collision with injury or death resulting if you had the ability to 'start your engine' and maneuver and you failed to do that because you didn't bother to keep fuel in your tank---and you engine ready to maneuver ---the Martime Lawyer will hang your sorry @$$ out to dry for failing to use all means available to avoid the situation. Your trival time to bleed the engine won't carry water in a court room.
Your idea of running out of fuel and and refilling is dangerous and STUPID !
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel