Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 06:27   #1

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Rope around prop shaft - vibration

This past weekend I unfortunately got a dock line wrapped around the prop shaft near the prop. I went down and managed to get it cut off. The engine starts and runs well except while in idle. In idle there is a thumping and vibration. Once I apply some power is smooths out. Any thoughts?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:08   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)
Re: Rope around prop shaft - vibration

Maybe check your engine mounts - the shock load to the shaft may have caused an already degrading mount to give up the ghost? Often vibration at idle that smooths out at speed indicates engine mount problems, where as vibration getting worse at speed can indicate shaft alignment, shaft bent, cutlass whacked, etc.

Or at least that’s what happened to us! (yep, both problems on two separate occasions - now have all new mounts and shaft!)
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 09:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity View Post
Maybe check your engine mounts - the shock load to the shaft may have caused an already degrading mount to give up the ghost? Often vibration at idle that smooths out at speed indicates engine mount problems, where as vibration getting worse at speed can indicate shaft alignment, shaft bent, cutlass whacked, etc.

Or at least that’s what happened to us! (yep, both problems on two separate occasions - now have all new mounts and shaft!)
Thanks, when I go up this weekend that will be the first thing I check.
Old 20-08-2018, 09:49   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

And just because you don’t have noticeable vibration at higher revs does not mean you didn’t bend the shaft or skeg enough to cause problems down the road, like premature cutless bearing wear etc.

It’s worth checking the shaft for runout to confirm that it’s OK.
Old 20-08-2018, 10:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
And just because you don’t have noticeable vibration at higher revs does not mean you didn’t bend the shaft or skeg enough to cause problems down the road, like premature cutless bearing wear etc.

It’s worth checking the shaft for runout to confirm that it’s OK.
How do you check the shaft for run out? Can this be done in the water? The area where the rope was around is only about 6" between the prop and the bearing.

Thanks
Old 20-08-2018, 10:40   #6

Ok just did some googling and this looks like a job when the boat is out of the water. She comes out in a month and that would be a good time to replace cutlass bearings both shaft and rudder, check run out and motor mounts.

Thanks to all.
Old 21-08-2018, 07:11   #7

You check runout with a micrometer on an arm and a clamp. You check it at various points along the shaft to diagnose if the shaft is bent and where (which really does not matter...if it’s bent you need a new one). A mechanic can do it in a matter of minutes.

It does not take much to bend a shaft just enough to cause all sorts of problems. And it’s expensive to fix. It’s why the distance from bow to prop on my boat is 35’ and my bow lines are 30’ lol
Old 21-08-2018, 07:16   #8

Quote:
You check runout with a micrometer on an arm and a clamp. You check it at various points along the shaft to diagnose if the shaft is bent and where (which really does not matter...if it’s bent you need a new one). A mechanic can do it in a matter of minutes.

It does not take much to bend a shaft just enough to cause all sorts of problems. And it’s expensive to fix. It’s why the distance from bow to prop on my boat is 35’ and my bow lines are 30’ lol
Great, note to self.....don't use dock lines longer than distance to prop!!!

I am hoping to get a few more weekends in before hauling out for the end of season. During this time I hope I don't do further damage.
Old 21-08-2018, 09:41   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

You may wish to install one of these to avoid the problem in the future. https://www.ab-marine.com/shaft-shark/
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
You may wish to install one of these to avoid the problem in the future. https://www.ab-marine.com/shaft-shark/

They are cheap insurance when a new shaft and labor can set you back $5k.

During my last refit I saw about a half dozen boats come into the yard needing new shafts from incidents with their own lines. I’ve always been militant about stowing lines properly and that experience put a fine point on it.
Old 21-08-2018, 10:12   #11

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
They are cheap insurance when a new shaft and labor can set you back $5k.

During my last refit I saw about a half dozen boats come into the yard needing new shafts from incidents with their own lines. I’ve always been militant about stowing lines properly and that experience put a fine point on it.
Yes, and this is test of some of them, I am still selecting the most efficient...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=gU9bwlSTg-s
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:25   #12

I had a Spurs on my shaft but it broke. Decided something without moving parts made more sense. After watching that video, and some chin scratching I bought a Prop Protector. Very well made and stupid, stupid sharp.
Old 21-08-2018, 12:31   #13

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
How do you check the shaft for run out? Can this be done in the water? The area where the rope was around is only about 6" between the prop and the bearing.

Thanks
The one and only time I wrapped a line it did bend the shaft. No good way to check it afloat, it would have to be really bent to see it in the water. If you pull the shaft and roll it across a smooth table top, the slightest bend will be obvious.
They really can't be straightened, so no real need to get technical. If you see it wobble on the tabletop it's toast. When mine bent I got a new one and kept the old one as backup in case I bent the new one even worse. It was just a tiny bit bent but that was enough to make some weird noises.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 13:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
The one and only time I wrapped a line it did bend the shaft. No good way to check it afloat, it would have to be really bent to see it in the water. If you pull the shaft and roll it across a smooth table top, the slightest bend will be obvious.
They really can't be straightened, so no real need to get technical. If you see it wobble on the tabletop it's toast. When mine bent I got a new one and kept the old one as backup in case I bent the new one even worse. It was just a tiny bit bent but that was enough to make some weird noises.

If you see it wobble on a tabletop then it’s REALLY bent. Even runout you can’t see with your eye can be a problem.

Personally I think it’s easier to have a mechanic take 15 minutes to check it with a micrometer than to go through the trouble of pulling the whole shaft just to roll it on a table lol.
Old 21-08-2018, 18:45   #15

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

It's good to be cautious, but also think about not being too concerned. I've had incidents that caused shaft vibration, but I believe my strut bearings just got a little sideways and worked out on their own. I have a fast cruiser with big shafts and struts.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope