Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2022, 06:39   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Repowering. Where on the US east coast?

About time for a new engine but having a lot of trouble finding a mechanic and yard to do it.

Main base for the boat is NE Florida and after six years I can't find a diesel mechanic in the area. Plenty of wrench twisters that will change the oil or impeller but ask them to do a real job, forget it. Had one replace the valve cover gasket and left it leaking worse than it did with the old gasket.

Found a yard in MA that would do the repower and they estimated could be up to $20,000 for labor. This is for a 50-60 HP engine in a 42' sailboat, not a 100' megayacht. Started talking about inspecting or replacing the fuel tanks and more that has nothing to do with dropping in an engine.

Boat is in New England currently but will head back south in the fall so I can stop anywhere on the east coast if I find the right yard.

Probably go with a Beta Marine engine so someone already dealing with Beta preferred.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 07:20   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Repowering. Where on the US east coast?

I think Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville, MD, has a Beta dealer on site... though I don't see that on their web pages.

One of their buildings has a Beta sign on it, though.

https://hartgeyachtharbor.com/

-Chris
Old 23-06-2022, 07:39   #3

Boat: Bayfield 36

Gary at Deaton Yacht Yard (now Zimmerman Marine) in Oriental, NC repowered my Bayfield 36 with a Beta 43 in 2019. Excellent work. The East Coast Beta distributor is nearby in Arapahoe, NC.

I experienced mission creep - my decision. For example, while the engine was out, it was a perfect time to clean/repaint quadrant, replace rudder stuffing box, replace binnacle cables/chains. Fuel lines, starter cables, throttle/shift cables... may need replacing. Raw water strainer and fuel filter housing may be looking a little rough. Shaft and wheel needed changing. Cutlass bearing replaced. The list can grow quickly.

Dennis
s/v Ferrity
Ferrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 07:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
I think Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville, MD, has a Beta dealer on site... though I don't see that on their web pages.

One of their buildings has a Beta sign on it, though.

https://hartgeyachtharbor.com/

-Chris
Couldn't find them on the Beta Marine dealer map but doesn't mean they can't buy and install a Beta.

Any personal experience with them?
Old 23-06-2022, 07:58   #5

Boat: Sabre 30 mk III

I repowered my Sabre 30-3 with a Beta 20. Sadler Point marina in Jacksonville did the work and did an excellent job. They are not a Beta dealer but an excellent job. I'm very pleased with the engine and installation.
Jess
jfgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 08:00   #6

Boat: Irwin, 44

Be careful of Beta Marine Engine ratings. There are a lot of stories of significant over rating of their horse power!

Also given the state of marine business $20 K seems with in the norm that work.

Good Luck,

Tom
gtwashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 08:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrity View Post
Gary at Deaton Yacht Yard (now Zimmerman Marine) in Oriental, NC repowered my Bayfield 36 with a Beta 43 in 2019. Excellent work. The East Coast Beta distributor is nearby in Arapahoe, NC.

I experienced mission creep - my decision. For example, while the engine was out, it was a perfect time to clean/repaint quadrant, replace rudder stuffing box, replace binnacle cables/chains. Fuel lines, starter cables, throttle/shift cables... may need replacing. Raw water strainer and fuel filter housing may be looking a little rough. Shaft and wheel needed changing. Cutlass bearing replaced. The list can grow quickly.

Dennis
s/v Ferrity
Have seen posts from boaters that used Deaton Yard and reported favorably.
And the new owners, Zimmerman is on the Beta dealer list. However it looks like Zimmerman is a chain and buying up a number of local marinas. My experience with this business model was when Brewers started buying up all the marinas in the NE and almost doubled their rates. Makes me a bit leery of similar companies.
Old 23-06-2022, 08:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgy View Post
I repowered my Sabre 30-3 with a Beta 20. Sadler Point marina in Jacksonville did the work and did an excellent job. They are not a Beta dealer but an excellent job. I'm very pleased with the engine and installation.
Jess
Thanks Jess. If I may ask, what did they charge for the labor.

By the way, I see you're in Gainesville. Also my land based home. We might be neighbors.
Old 23-06-2022, 08:17   #9

Boat: Brewer 12.3

Try the marina in St Mary,s , Ga. I know several people whom has decent experience.

And yes, $20k or more for engine and installation is about the norm. There some folks whom do rebuilt engines and you may swap blocks. instead of buying new.
Oldwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 08:17   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwashio View Post
Be careful of Beta Marine Engine ratings. There are a lot of stories of significant over rating of their horse power!

Also given the state of marine business $20 K seems with in the norm that work.

Good Luck,

Tom
I would say that my Beta 50 has nearly twice the useable power and half the noise than the Perkins 4108 it replaced. Not to mention it doesn't leak oil.

It took me two weeks to DIY swap out the engines, but I took the time to replace a bunch of hoses, put in new sound insulation, and change the engine mounts. I used the main halyard for hoisting. I spent about $4k on materials.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 08:18   #11

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Couldn't find them on the Beta Marine dealer map but doesn't mean they can't buy and install a Beta.

Any personal experience with them?
Scott Segal of armarine is located at Herrington. He's a beta marine dealer, and teaches the diesel classes as Annapolis school of seamanship.
Marine Diesel Service | Ar Marine Diesel

I took both the intro and advanced classes with him. He's incredibly knowledgable and a nice guy.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 08:29   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwheels View Post
Try the marina in St Mary,s , Ga. I know several people whom has decent experience.

And yes, $20k or more for engine and installation is about the norm. There some folks whom do rebuilt engines and you may swap blocks. instead of buying new.
Let me clarify, not engine AND installation, the $20k indicated was JUST LABOR. Engine cost on top of that so total $35-40k.

From my limited knowledge in this area $20k just for labor is outrageous. $20k for the whole job I would call a deal.
Old 23-06-2022, 08:48   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I would say that my Beta 50 has nearly twice the useable power and half the noise than the Perkins 4108 it replaced. Not to mention it doesn't leak oil.

It took me two weeks to DIY swap out the engines, but I took the time to replace a bunch of hoses, put in new sound insulation, and change the engine mounts. I used the main halyard for hoisting. I spent about $4k on materials.
What boat did you put the Beta 50 in? I know of another Pearson 42 owner that installed a 50 but have not heard from him recently so not sure if he was happy with the power.

The Pearson 424/422 came with 58-60 HP from the factory and a couple of times I used every bit of what I had maneuvering in tight spots. Not sure if I would want to go with less but could be a new B50 has as much power as my 40 year old Westerbeke 58.

Have considered DIY. Have done all the other engine work since I bought the boat but I'm not as young as I used to be and getting pretty tired of being a mechanic. Guess it was wishful thinking but was hoping to farm out this job.
Old 23-06-2022, 08:49   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgy View Post
Jess
Well shucks. Called Sadler Point and they lost both of their diesel mechanics and are only doing Yamaha outboards.
Old 23-06-2022, 08:53   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
What boat did you put the Beta 50 in? I know of another Pearson 42 owner that installed a 50 but have not heard from him recently so not sure if he was happy with the power.

The Pearson 424/422 came with 58-60 HP from the factory and a couple of times I used every bit of what I had maneuvering in tight spots. Not sure if I would want to go with less but could be a new B50 has as much power as my 40 year old Westerbeke 58.

Have considered DIY. Have done all the other engine work since I bought the boat but I'm not as young as I used to be and getting pretty tired of being a mechanic. Guess it was wishful thinking but was hoping to farm out this job.
As far as thrust when maneuvering in tight spaces, reduction gearing and prop selection will matter just as much as engine power. More engine power isn't necessarily useful if the prop setup isn't good at converting that power into useful thrust at low boat speeds.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, repower