Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2016, 18:29   #46

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Repowering - NC, come help us?

That E-Bay motor looks like a spray can overhaul. No instrument panel, and after 2025 hours (how is this confirmed?), may be in questionable condition.

The 34C ranges from 11,000 to 12,000 pounds. If I was repowering, I would look for 2-2.5 hp per 1,000 pounds, or somewhere between 22 and 30 hp. I would think an engine in the upper range would be best, especially if you ever intend to install an upgraded alternator - these high output alternators eat horsepower.

Maybe a used Yanmar 3GM30? I think they are 27 hp continuous rating. And absolutely fresh-water cooled. If you go this route, don't half-a** it. Do it right.

Just my opinion.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 18:49   #47

Make sure you get the Farymann. You may need a carcass to avoid a higher price for a rebuilt or running engine.

These folks seem to have a robust selection. Buy or Sell your Diesel Engines on Diesel Engine Trader.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 16:13   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Wow! We're right back into gasoline versus diesel, with adapting mounts as a bonus. Gasoline means lower initial cost, but more fuel cost and the safety problem of storing enough gasoline on a boat that wasn't meant for it. A diesel conversion on the one hand is cheap (motor mounts are pretty easy to change) but the new engine has to fit, and bunches of connections are now in new places and unless you are a mechanic and welder could get you into a very expensive nightmare. I say either stick with the same engine model - that space was designed with it in mind - or rip out the whole thing and add an outboard on the transom. If all you need is in and out of port that's a reasonable choice. If you might want to motor for a distance when the winds don't bless you, then go with the diesel, and give up any fantasies that a different model engine might be cheaper/better.

Understand hull speed. Hull speed is 1.34 times the square root of your waterline in feet. The answer is in knots. If your waterline is 32 ft that's 7.6 knots. Very little horsepower will get you there. With a displacement hull, more horsepower will add very little speed and bunches of fuel burn. Putting in a larger engine than needed to reach hull speed is a waste of money. 80 hp will get my 60,000 lb. 44' trawler to hull speed. That's why you're having people tell you that they do fine with a 9.9 hp outboard. Whatever you choose in this situation, do not think that a bit more power will give you more speed.

Finally... Freshwater cooled through a heat exchanger or raw water cooled through the block? Running raw water through the block rather than through a heat exchanger with separate coolant gives your engine a very short life expectancy in salt water.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 16:20   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Oooh! I missed a point. Where are you getting your house power, you know, charging batteries for running the lights and boom box? Do you have a separate genset or are you getting that off solar, wind, or the engine? An outboard won't do that for you. If you're planning on it coming from the engine, you need to leave a reserve in horsepower for the alternator. Sorry.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 05:25   #50

Boat: Oday 25

tukeithlu is right on the money. You may also need a couple of extra horses when punching into a rough sea and a headwind and the boat never reaches hull speed.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower