Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2020, 06:11   #1
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)
Repowering from Volvo to yanmar

Recently had my Volvo Penta MD2040 pronounced dead by 2 diesel mechanics. In my research for a replacement MD2040 I found a LOT of negativity regarding volvos. This being the case, I’m looking into repowering with a Yanmar instead ( have to go used, and do most of the installation myself as I’ve a limited budget).
Can anybody tell me what model Yanmar would best replace/ fit my MD2040’s bed?
I’ve got a 37’ Irwin CCKetch (1974), and 40hp seemed quite adequate to move her.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 06:25   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Repowering from Volvo to yanmar

I can't answer your question. What I can recommend that you examine is the switch itself. You are talking about different engine mounts, different dimensions, cables that go to the wrong place, hoses that don't match seacocks in size or location, different engine alignment, and a bunch of other stuff that may seriousy spoil the days ahead.

When you choose the right Yanmar, which I hope someone will help you with, I recommend you examine the technical drawings and plan out the installation. Then ask, are the problems with using a Yanmar minor enough to justify the change, or does a direct replacement with a Volvo look more attractive?

Good luck with it.
Old 23-08-2020, 06:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

here is what I did, after removing a Volvo....I found an engine I liked....and made an accurate, but simple wood mockup of it, detailing where the engine mounts were, shaft location, height, etc....this I put into the engine compartment, which I could easily move around, to see what I needed to change, modify, etc...
I used the spec sheet of the engine to give me all the relevant dimensions, ie, width of mounts, distance between mounts, transmission location, etc...the wood framework was made up from scrap wood and didn't take but an hour or two to fabricate...
with this in place, making the required modifications, was a piece of cake and when time came to fit the engine, it slid in there, like a hand in a glove..
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 07:27   #4
AJA

Thanks, Tikietu, for the quick response.
I went through that process when I first bought this boat out of a boat consignment place ( read junkyard). I had to change every system and all the rigging- even find a mast suitable to be the mizzen. It had and old Perkins in it that was rally just a solid hunk of rust. I cut that out piece by piece, found the Volvo Penta, and had aluminum engine bed stringers made up to accommodate it.
I installed it myself, aligned it to the shaft, and had a diesel mechanic wire it up and make up an instrument panel ( I’m not that good at electronics).
I don’t want to redo the engine bed, so I’m hoping to find something that will fit close enough to need not too much alteration. If I can’t , then I’ll find a 2040 or 2030 to drop in.
Old 23-08-2020, 07:29   #5
AJA

Very nice work, MicHughV. Sound like a worthwhile approach.
Old 23-08-2020, 08:40   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

MicHughV, that's just brilliant. Then you had the hoses and wires and cables in the right places before you moved the engine into it's place. WOW!
Old 23-08-2020, 08:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...don't forget the exhaust muffler....this is usually a large tub of fiberglass....some are located right behind the engine exhaust elbow...others are located elsewhere...but it's location is crucial to a lot of things...not too high...not too low....a lot depends on where the water line is located.....this too, I noted inside the engine compartment....I used a level on a piece of wood to to get the outside waterline location marked inside the engine compartment...this requires a bit of thought......also the exhaust usually has a water/air vent line inserted somewhere along the line.....you need to know the waterline location to determine the correct location for this...
some engines are located below the water line...others above...etc.....

and one last thing....some engines have an easily accessible oil drain plug....others don't.....this goes for the oil fill cap as well....
I know have one of these suction type oil changers...a marvelous gadget....run the engine....get the oil warm...insert hose in dipstick hole...suck oil out...

but there are a lot of things to consider...besides location.......think twice...cut once...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 09:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJA View Post
Recently had my Volvo Penta MD2040 pronounced dead by 2 diesel mechanics. In my research for a replacement MD2040 I found a LOT of negativity regarding volvos. This being the case, I’m looking into repowering with a Yanmar instead ( have to go used, and do most of the installation myself as I’ve a limited budget).
Can anybody tell me what model Yanmar would best replace/ fit my MD2040’s bed?
I’ve got a 37’ Irwin CCKetch (1974), and 40hp seemed quite adequate to move her.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
You might also take a look at BETA engines .
Sailorlady323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 09:45   #9

Boat: Swan 57

The Volvo Penta is not a bad machine actually. There are lots of them where I am (even though i have a Yanmar myself) and if you look after it like one should do, it will last a lifetime. They are very reliable engines so ton't give up on using one. It will save you a lot of trouble and extra costs.
Think about changing the impeller, sometimes located on the other side where you can't get at it. Changing the oil filter, the manual fuel pump for when you've run out of diesel, getting the water heat exchanger tube package out for cleaning etc. etc. There are lot's of things the yacht designer thought about when he designed the boat with that engine.
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 09:53   #10
AJA

Thanks, I will. I heard that they are derived from Kubota, and as such you can get parts from places that service diesel tractors. I’ll do a google search and see what they’ve got.
Old 23-08-2020, 09:55   #11
AJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
The Volvo Penta is not a bad machine actually. There are lots of them where I am (even though i have a Yanmar myself) and if you look after it like one should do, it will last a lifetime. They are very reliable engines so ton't give up on using one. It will save you a lot of trouble and extra costs.
Think about changing the impeller, sometimes located on the other side where you can't get at it. Changing the oil filter, the manual fuel pump for when you've run out of diesel, getting the water heat exchanger tube package out for cleaning etc. etc. There are lot's of things the yacht designer thought about when he designed the boat with that engine.
That was my first choice, but the mechanics have told me that : 1- it has to be pulled to be worked on. And 2- even if they did the repair, the corrosion in the block was so bad that repair may not last even two seasons.
Also, the boat was designed for a ‘72 Perkins. I had to do a lot of fancy dancing to get the Volvo to fit and work.
When it ran, it ran great, but evidently someone who repaired it before I bought it did a very bad repair and just painted it over.
Old 23-08-2020, 10:02   #12

Boat: Swan 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJA View Post
That was my first choice, but the mechanics have told me that : 1- it has to be pulled to be worked on. And 2- even if they did the repair, the corrosion in the block was so bad that repair may not last even two seasons.
Also, the boat was designed for a ‘72 Perkins. I had to do a lot of fancy dancing to get the Volvo to fit and work.
When it ran, it ran great, but evidently someone who repaired it before I bought it did a very bad repair and just painted it over.
Maybe you could find a good used one and do the normal checks (compression, smoke, etc.)?
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 10:59   #13

Have you considered going back to the original Perkins power?
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 11:34   #14

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Volvo MD2040 is a Perkins M40 which is an ISM 100 series engine. Very good engine with a solid reputation. Most of the Volvo dislike is related to their parts pricing, followed closely by some sketchy electrical system issues.

Yanmar has you over a barrel, they make their own engines and thus have monopoly power over parts prices, which are often commensurate with Volvo.

Kubota based engines seem to be the current favorite, I like them alot. Off the top of my head, Beta, Universal/Westerbeke, Nanni, Vetus and I'm sure many others use Kubota base engines.

As for how to find suitable replacement based on size, all the manufacturers have literature showing installation dimensions and relevant sizing specs of various components. Just google the engine model you're interested in, followed by 'specs' or 'installation manual', or something similar and you'll find plenty of info.

For instance, searching 'yanmar 40 hp marine engine specs' yields this

https://www.yanmar.com/media/global/...4JH4-TE-LR.pdf

which should tell you enough to determine if that engine is in the ballpark.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 11:52   #15

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
here is what I did, after removing a Volvo....I found an engine I liked....and made an accurate, but simple wood mockup of it, detailing where the engine mounts were, shaft location, height, etc....this I put into the engine compartment, which I could easily move around, to see what I needed to change, modify, etc...
I used the spec sheet of the engine to give me all the relevant dimensions, ie, width of mounts, distance between mounts, transmission location, etc...the wood framework was made up from scrap wood and didn't take but an hour or two to fabricate...
with this in place, making the required modifications, was a piece of cake and when time came to fit the engine, it slid in there, like a hand in a glove..

Kind of like this? I also replaced a Volvo with a Yanmar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mockup.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	221806   Click image for larger version

Name:	yanmar.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	221807  

davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags