Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 00:48   #16

Hmm ok. "The same way that "I am looking at picking up a boat in the US. Both roughly 35'." told me immediately that English is not your primary language."
This is casual language so skip the pedantry.
The poster to whom I referred seemingly does not speak english as his first language (shock horror) - nevertheless his meaning is clear.
As to his impartiality and accuracy - I made no judgement. It appeared to me that he had been burnt and sought other opinions.
As it happens this page gives some further light on the background -
Volvo-Penta 2010-2040: Not good, but better than series 2000
It may be that some do not understand or pay sufficient attention to cooling issues such as the O rings. That requires expertise such has arisen here. Discussion of such issues can be helpful.
Rather than being a spam or Yamaha plant the site appears to be one for multi-lingual consumer comment. InfoCenter Portal
I really see no need to prove their bona-fides. Indeed I have no basis on which to do so or not. Like everyone else on the internet I both appreciate the remarkable knowledge available on it and the need to discern between knowledge and bias with uncertain foundations.
As to my original question, it has been answered broadly speaking because I was not seeking a quote rather ball park indications. Thank you.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 21:08   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"This is casual language so skip the pedantry. "
Casual or not, this is not pedantry. "a boat" and "both" is a case mismatch that no native English speaker would make, not even a Bubba redneck with a grade-school education. But it is typically made by second-language speakers, myself included. I assume he speaks English better than I speak his language, but I am warned that whatever he says, cannot be taken at face value.
Heck, I can make Parisians run screaming from a room, just by speaking Franglais. (Non-Parisian French usually will just appreciate the effort.)

In the same way, seeing the same pattern of the same bad grammar in ALL of the supposedly separate comments on the web site, tells me there is something suspicious about those comments, and that it is possible they are all made by one same author, a non-English native. If the site wants to present trranslations--I expect to see original comments alongside them, because I know translations can get mangled. If the comments are being presented--as they are--as original comments, I have to question them.
"I really see no need to prove their bona-fides. " This is the internet, there is no reason for anyone to prove bonafides, but if you are going to place any value on opinions--you have to put them in context. There are too many ongoing and organized marketing attacks and "internet rumors" that persist for years without basis. ANYTHING that makes comments appear unauthentic, is valuable information in itself.
Much like the broken English in "Nigerian Scam" emails. Three independent and separate comments, all in the same voice? That's odd. The fact that the "voice" is a particular type of broken English is not significant. The fact that the "voice" is the same in any way--is.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 00:29   #18

1. You assume incorrectly that the reviewer of the volvo engines and I as seeker of advice are the same person.
2. A non-native speaker reporting others' comments will do so in his own idiosyncratic way.
3. His attempts at english are quite clear and understandable. That he should mount his point in multiple languages is silly especially since he may well have done. I would not know.
4. Would "I am looking for a boat. Two which I have under consideration variously involve ..... satisfy you? I was aware that there was a disjunction in wording. However, I did not expect a focus on, nor aspersions on my literacy.
You seem to be implying that those who do not achieve, nor aspire to linquistic perfection are both stupid and ignorant. Perhaps only those conscious of such potential failures feel the need to engage in such presumptions.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 03:19   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"1. You assume incorrectly that the reviewer of the volvo engines and I as seeker of advice are the same person."
No, Chris. I clearly never made that assumption or suggestion.

Nor do I comment on linguistic perfection, except as it refers to the voice of the author. If I had three pages in front of me, one by Shakespeare, one by Hemmingway, and a third by Asimov, I could tell you instantly that even though all three were native English speakers, all three were different authors. That's three different "voices" and the differences are obvious. Pretty much any high school graduate in any English-speaking country could tell you which author wrote which page. But I doubt many foreigners would get it right.

In the engine reviews, it is equally obvious that there is something very similar about the three voices--bad English, and no native language posting. That the English is imperfect does not matter--get over it. The fact is simply that the English is UNIFORMLY peculiar, suggesting there is something in common to all three authors, and perhaps askance in the reviews.

Your literacy has not been questioned. The fact that the grammar error (the case mismatch that you call a disjunction) is one I've never come across in a native speaker, indicates to me that it comes from a non-native speaker. If that conclusion is incorrect, there's no reason to get in a huff about it. I still find it most peculiar that someone who throws out (appropriately or not) "disjunction" and "pedantic" can't keep track of singular versus plural. To a teacher, finding that in a student's paper would be a red flag to check for plagiarism. I'm used to seeing and ignoring the errors of dyslexia and other problems, but crossing singular and plural is extremely rare--for the native. And very common, for the non-native.

"When you hear hoofbeats, assume there are horses, not zebras."
Unless you live on the veldt.

Or as the late Chairman Mao said "Black cat, white cat, does not matter as long as it catches mice." Focus on the mice here, not imagining insults.

Four authors, all in odd voices. That's the mice. YOU are not the issue here, and no criticism was directed at you. I only pointed out that there is something in common to all the criticisms of the Volvo engine, and that commonality makes it all suspect.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote