Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2010, 16:04   #16

Boat: deboated
Why is it that people assume that a late model engine with modern design, material and manufacturing technique will be less reliable. Modern cars are so much more complex and yet so much more reliable and with longer life to go with it. The biggest problem I see is that people think you no longer have to do any maintenance like dip the oil once or twice a year. In Aus. many many engine reconditioners have closed their doors due to lack of work. Modern marine diesels have not moved as fast in there development but to compare some of the junk I see in yachts is a joke. Heavy inefficient old diesels are loved like old car lovers who hate plastic bumpers and yearn for heavy chrome plated items. Once upon a time wood was the only way to build boats but then there was steel and now fibreglass etc. Some still love wood but the majority can see the advantages in light weight easy to repair materials which do the job better some will never be convinced.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 16:06   #17

Boat: William Garden Ketch
We repowered a couple of years ago. I was looking at a Yanmar as we are very low on our waterline. The old Ford had 23,000 hours on it and had been rebuilt 4 times that I knew of. I talked to several engine experts and they said since I used the engine so much and often at now load, charging batteries fridge etc I was better to go with a natural asperated diesel. We picked the Perkins M92 and am pretty happy. Though wish I could lighten the boat somehow it just seems to keep getting heavier. Also I didn't need to do anything with the prop but I did have to rework the mountings in my engine room.
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower