Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2010, 05:20   #1

Boat: Catalina 320
Replacing Zincs on Yanmar 2QM15

Hello,

I'm about to attempt to replace the zincs on my Yanmar 2QM15 for the first time. Are there any tricks of the trade in doing so? Should i expect water to come out of the engine whilst changing them?

Thanks in advance....
Old 03-04-2010, 23:37   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Short Answer: Yes.

Awfully quiet in here. Given no responses it seems that I am the now the foremost expert (on this forum anyway) on Yanmar 2QM15 zinc anode replacements and I'm more than happy to share my new found knowledge.

When changing the zincs about 500ml of water leaked out. Fortunately I had a drip pan under the motor which saved it from falling into the bilge.

Job done, and now i feel so much happier knowing the motor is protected.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:21   #3

Boat: boat less ATM
Sorry, Capt Camel, I missed your OP. Don't know how I did because I have been sailing this desk 12 hours daily since 11 March with nothing to do but surf the net & haunt CF. The things one does for cruising kitty transfusions.

anyhow back to OP. So you got the zincs out. How many were there? On the Yanmar 3GM30 there are three - one at the rear and two on the left side looking from the front. One of these is directly underneath the secondary fuel filter which makes it a real bastard to remove. Why oh why do engine makers do that sort of thing.

FYI I check my zincs every six months. They should be replaced if they are over one third lost. Note down in your engine maintenance book (everyone should have one of these babies to keep a tag on oil use and your preventative maintenance schedule) the state of decay and the date of inspection of each zinc so that if they suddenly start to decay quicker you will know right away and then can search for the electrolytic reason.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm15, yanmar