Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 09:35   #1

Boat: Islander 30
Replacing Yanmar fuel filter

Hi all,

Just bought a 1982 Islander Bahama 30 with a Yanmar 2GM20F engine. I need to replace the fuel filter.

On the Racor filter, it lists the part number as '55752 Rev M'

Does the Rev matter? I can't find anything for sale with that specific rev letter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	racor.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	153153  
Zomgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 23:55   #2

Re: Replacing Yanmar fuel filter

The designation as Rev normally is short for "review"which corresponds usually to a date of the review in this case M (others seen as A-C- D etc) saying that with in the Parker range "M" can also stand for "Metal Bowl",

As long as your actual pert number is correct and the micron type/color type is correct you should be good to go, just be sure of the micron as they come in 30 micron down to 2 (which would only be used in a secondary final situation)

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 13:09   #3

Appreciate it, Steve!

I have a long road ahead of me when it comes to learning diesel mechanics, so I want to make sure I do it right. This is exactly what I needed to know.
Old 02-08-2017, 16:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The newest filters for the Racor 500 fit all the 500 filter bodies. The older pumps took a different filter than the newest model filter when they 'improved' the design. The early run of filter cartridges for the newer filter body needed a spacer to work on the older filter housing. They've since revised the filter cartridges so they are compatible with both old and new filter bodies. Think if you do a search on this site will find a discussion with pictures of the various filter cartridges for the 500 filters and why all the filters aren't fully compatible with all the 500 filter bodies.

FWIW, if you were lucky to get an old 'newer' design filter cartridge that needed the spacer on older filter bodies, the filter would simply pass fuel through without filtering the fuel.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 17:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Replacing Yanmar fuel filter

I don't think it's a 500, it may be one of the baby ones, I had on for my generator, ended up being too small, I replaced it with a 500 as those filters amazingly cost less and are way easier to find, everybody has a 500

Is this it, just without the metal bowl?
https://greatlakesskipper.com/racor-...ration-element
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 17:14   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomgie View Post
Appreciate it, Steve!

I have a long road ahead of me when it comes to learning diesel mechanics, so I want to make sure I do it right. This is exactly what I needed to know.
In the interests of getting it right, please be aware the filter you posted is not the "Yanmar 2GM20F" filter.

The filter you have shown is what is normally called the primary filter and has been fitted by someone else (i.e. not Yanmar). The engine itself will have another fuel filter mounted on it as supplied by Yanmar with the engine. This filter is often called the secondary or engine filter.

FWIW, the part number for the Yanmar 2GM20F filter element is 104500-55710.

Looks like this
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuel Filter - Version 2.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	153275  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 15:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
FWIW, if you were lucky to get an old 'newer' design filter cartridge that needed the spacer on older filter bodies, the filter would simply pass fuel through without filtering the fuel.
That's... definitely worth checking out. Thanks for the notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't think it's a 500, it may be one of the baby ones, I had on for my generator, ended up being too small, I replaced it with a 500 as those filters amazingly cost less and are way easier to find, everybody has a 500

Is this it, just without the metal bowl?
https://greatlakesskipper.com/racor-...ration-element
Based on the pictures I've seen, I thought it might be a 220, but I'll know more soon. Need to get down to the boat soon so I can work on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
In the interests of getting it right, please be aware the filter you posted is not the "Yanmar 2GM20F" filter.

The filter you have shown is what is normally called the primary filter and has been fitted by someone else (i.e. not Yanmar). The engine itself will have another fuel filter mounted on it as supplied by Yanmar with the engine. This filter is often called the secondary or engine filter.

FWIW, the part number for the Yanmar 2GM20F filter element is 104500-55710.

Looks like this
Appreciate it! I have a couple spares for the on-engine / secondary filter on board. I called it "the Racor filter" in the OP because the previous owner kept referring to the primary filter as the secondary and vice versa and I wanted to avoid confusion. Guess I ended up making it worse...

I've had the boat less than a month so far. First trip out, the engine won't go above 2000 rpm. Runs perfectly below that. Advice on the docks was that this sounded like the engine was being starved for fuel and this was the easiest thing to fix / check for first.
Old 04-08-2017, 21:15   #8

Quote:
Appreciate it! I have a couple spares for the on-engine / secondary filter on board. I called it "the Racor filter" in the OP because the previous owner kept referring to the primary filter as the secondary and vice versa and I wanted to avoid confusion. Guess I ended up making it worse...

I've had the boat less than a month so far. First trip out, the engine won't go above 2000 rpm. Runs perfectly below that. Advice on the docks was that this sounded like the engine was being starved for fuel and this was the easiest thing to fix / check for first.
No problem! The differing uses of terminology between the two filters is always confusing. There is some argument to be made for either case. These days I tend to say the primary filter (Racor / CAV etc) and engine mounted filter. Even so, it is not always clear as some installations have both filters mounted on the engine or only have one...
However we get there in the end

As for your root problem (and I realise you haven't asked for any input), allow me to make a simple observation - which may have already been made "on the dock".

If the engine runs up to max revs (3600) in neutral but only gets to 2000 while under way, the first thing to check is "any exhaust smoke visible and if so, what colour"?.

If no smoke, then yes fuel starvation is likely but if there is black smoke, then fuel starvation is not the issue. The black smoke indicates unburnt fuel in the exhaust. There can be many reasons for this and each one is reasonably easy to check.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-08-2017, 21:34   #9

Gentleman, just for clarification the filter assembly mentioned in the original post is a RACOR filter/water separator with the reference number as 55752 and depending on the REV letter is either metal bowl or plastic bowl,

Yes it will be a primary filter fitted prior to the Yanmar engine fuel filter

It uses a replacement filter element as RACOR R 24s :

Racor R24S Fuel Filter Water Separator

Cheers Steve
Old 04-08-2017, 21:39   #10

Gentlemen, forgot to mention this is not a 500 series Racor, the 500 series Racor is a different animal and known as a turbine filter, This filter/water separator is similar to the CAV filters fitted to many older marine diesels
Old 04-08-2017, 22:41   #11

Finally back at the boat! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this help. Tomorrow is going to be a full day of troubleshooting and this advice has already changed (helped!) my plans.

First thing - the fuel filter/water separator appears to be a Racor 120A with an R12S (2 micron) filter. I had intended on swapping this out for an R12T (10 micron) if not completely swapping out the separator for something larger, but it sounds like this should wait if it needs to happen at all.

I think I remember black smoke. So that's going to be the first test.

Tomorrow morning:
1. Run engine neutral to check max RPM.
2. Run engine in gear - check for smoke
3. Dive under boat (glad I brought my wetsuit!) and check prop for fouling, growth, etc.
4. Check exhaust mixing elbow
Old 04-08-2017, 23:18   #12

The 2 Micron filter is way to fine for the primary filter, 10 would be much preferred (even 20) especially if you the original Yanmar filter on the engine which would probably be a 2 micron,

The filter numbers you mention how ever dont "gel" with the original filter question
Old 05-08-2017, 06:13   #13

Quote:
I think I remember black smoke. So that's going to be the first test.

Tomorrow morning:
1. Run engine neutral to check max RPM.
2. Run engine in gear - check for smoke
3. Dive under boat (glad I brought my wetsuit!) and check prop for fouling, growth, etc.
4. Check exhaust mixing elbow
All good tests however be aware that if you are running in gear and tied to the dock, you might (probably will) get some black smoke at higher RPMs say anything at or over 3000 even if everything is OK. Under way, this would disappear.

The reason is the prop should have been sized to absorb maximum power while moving at hull speed so when tied to the dock (and thus your hull speed is zero) the prop is effectively the wrong size and loading down the engine.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
The filter numbers you mention how ever dont "gel" with the original filter question
Hi Steve,

It's very possible I'm wrong. I was able to take some clearer photos just now, including part of the side that was previously obscured / against the wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170805_084024.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	153426   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170805_084043.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	153427  

Name:	20170805_084343.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	153428  
Old 05-08-2017, 10:01   #15

Update:

Engine cannot reach high RPM in neutral.

edit: It was definitely reaching ~2000 rpm last week, which I'm guessing (hoping?) is because the engine was cold when I tested this morning.

Tags
fuel filter, yanmar, fuel