Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2022, 07:37   #1

Replacing my water heater

You may be wondering why I post this on the engines forum. Well, I have a Yanmar 2gm20f engine, which has a hose coming out to my water heater, then another hose from the water heater back into the Yanmar engine.

I'm replacing my water heater for an electric one that does not include an engine hose intake or outake. Therefore, am I correct to assume that when I replace the water heater, I can simply close loop one of the hoses from the engine back into the engine (since I no longer have a water heater with this feature)?

Out of curiosity, what's the purpose of these hoses that feed to the water heater? Are these used to cool the engine using fresh water when available from the water heater?

I m attaching an image of a yanmar engine (not mine)that has the intake and outake loop that I believe I will need to to do replace the hose that now hoes into the water heater and back from the heater.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RodrigoDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:26   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Replacing my water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodrigoDC View Post
I'm replacing my water heater for an electric one that does not include an engine hose intake or outake.

Out of curiosity, what's the purpose of these hoses that feed to the water heater? Are these used to cool the engine using fresh water when available from the water heater?
Why would you want a water heater which will only work on electricity?
Being able to have hot water when running the engine is a great convenience.

Those hoses use hot engine water to heat the fresh water in the water heater thru an exchanger.
Nothing to do with any interface/flow between systems.
IIRC, a new engine will have pipe plugs in place of the hose barb fittings/
hose that's shown in the pic.
Being able to remove the plugs and add hose and fittings is a "feature", just like the heater in your car.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post

Those hoses use hot engine water to heat the fresh water in the water heater thru an exchanger.
Being able to remove the plugs and add hose and fittings is a "feature", just like the heater in your car.

Thank you for your reply, Bowdrie.

The reason I need to replace the old water heater is because the tank is leaking. Yes, I'd love to enjoy hot water while using the engine, but the difference between replacing the old heater with an electric one is about $900.

Are you saying that instead of using a loop hose, I can simply place plugs?

Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:14   #4

Quote:
Are you saying that instead of using a loop hose, I can simply place plugs?
Yes, that is the way a new engine would be delivered.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:06   #5

Are water heaters really that expensive now? Are you in Europe?

I find the engine heated units very useful personally.
Do you live aboard and only want it at the dock?

6 gallon with engine heat exchanger $432:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...311&id=2092171

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

You can heat your electric water heater with the engine and a heat exchanger. Maybe find a used one on ebay. And you need a small circulation pump.
The loop you have goes to one side of the HE and the hot out goes to the hot water heater outlet. Put in a tee. And the heater drain goes back to the HE.

You can buy a small 12v circulation pump for less than $20 on ebay. There you can probably find a HE for less than $100 and sometimes less than $50.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post

Had to look into a new hotwater electric heater not to long ago around $600 can $$
Why not use the feature of having the engine heat up your hot water enroute?
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
You can heat your electric water heater with the engine and a heat exchanger. Maybe find a used one on ebay. And you need a small circulation pump.
The loop you have goes to one side of the HE and the hot out goes to the hot water heater outlet. Put in a tee. And the heater drain goes back to the HE.

You can buy a small 12v circulation pump for less than $20 on ebay. There you can probably find a HE for less than $100 and sometimes less than $50.

Lepke, this is a great idea, and will still allow for hot water with the engine without taking up much space.

The water heater I have is a Raritan, which costs about $1,000.

Yes, it is true that there are other, much less expend options. On Ebay, I saw a Kuuma 11811 Marine Water Heater 6 Gallon for $330 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/233125366089?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Ln1w14_YTkS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=wVZ2et3uTE K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=Copy). Unfortunately, it won't fit on my boat.

An electric WH, is more than I need, for the use I give it. I was only asking if I needed to loop one hose back to the engine or, as suggested, plug the in and out takes without causing any performance issues.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post

Lepke, this is a great idea, and will still allow for hot water with the engine without taking up much space.

Yes, it is true that there are other, much less expensive options. On Ebay, I saw a Kuuma 11811 Marine Water Heater 6 Gallon for $330 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/23312536608...mis&media=Copy). Unfortunately, it won't fit on my boat.

An electric WH, is more than I need, for the use I give it. I was only asking if I needed to loop one hose back to the engine or, as suggested, plug the in and out takes without causing any performance issues.

Old 11-10-2022, 13:35   #10

Quote:

Yes, it is true that there are other, much less expensive options. On Ebay, I saw a Kuuma 11811 Marine Water Heater 6 Gallon for $330 ..............
Unfortunately, it won't fit on my boat.

I don't understand Lepke's suggestion at all. The "heat exchanger" is right there in the water heater.

If you already have that Raritan, why not just hook up the engine's coolant to it? Are you actually saying your $1000 Raritan doesn't have engine coolant heating? I find that hard to believe. (I bought a Seaward 6 gallon for less than $300 in 2013.)

As far as plugging vs. jumpering the hose on the engine, I would suggest you be very very careful about plugging. While I have no experience with Yanmar engines, I do have a lot of experience with Universal freshwater cooled engines (25 years+). The engines come from the factory with that hose installed. When heaters are installed, they remove that jumpered hose and put the heater loop into it. In NO case have I ever heard of anyone plugging the hose connections. I strongly urge you to consult with Yanmar before you plug anything. It's probably easier to jumper a hose, anyway. Even easier to connect the danged new heater.

Good luck either way.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 13:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The engines come from the factory with that hose installed.
Amazing, I just looked at a brand new Yanmar on a display stand at an engine shop last week, no jumper hose.
Of course, Yanmar makes at least a Bazillion models.
Old 11-10-2022, 14:15   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
As far as plugging vs. jumpering the hose on the engine, I would suggest you be very very careful about plugging.
I was just going to say the same thing. On my Universal, the engine coolant flow is:
engine coolant tank -> hot water heater -> engine heat exchanger -> engine block -> coolant pump -> back to tank
The hot water heater is not in a separate loop, so plugging would disable the engine cooling system.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 14:29   #13

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We use hot water every day
But we don't run the engine every day
And on a sailing boat we would run it less again
So waste of money and effort for us to go engine heat hot water.

25 litre Rheem hot water system for us - cost $300
Comes on once , sometimes twice a day for 15 minutes at a time