Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2023, 07:49   #1

Boat: Niagara 35
replacing gaskets

I've just finished pulling off all the peripheral parts to my engine to clean it up and repaint. Now I'm starting to look at bolting parts back on and I'm wondering if anything has to be done with new gaskets prior to installation.
Most of them are some sort of paper and will be doing the following:
oil pan
water pump">raw water pump drive gear
fresh water pump

Should they go in dry? coated in oil? sealant?
The engine is a Westerbeke W27 if that matters.

Thanks
Old 15-12-2023, 09:48   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: replacing gaskets

The gaskets will stand on their own if the mating surfaces are clean and free of defects.

However, in the case of difficult to reach areas [e.g., vertical surface that is difficult to reach] I will coat one flange surface with Aviation Permatex #3 gasket compound to act as a light adhesive to hold the gasket in place while fitting and fastening a difficult assembly together. [Permatex #2 (more viscous) and #3 [less viscous) are both non-hardening; the paper gasket will easily peel free years later. There are many similar products.]

Permatex applied to both flange surfaces will help a thin gasket seal against imperfect flange surfaces.

Just my approach- among millions of others…

Cheers, Bill
Old 15-12-2023, 10:28   #3

For any type of gasket that is not paper or slides around easily it's good to use something like the Permatex mentioned to hold it in place. Put it on the side of the removeable item so in the future you can remove the part to clean it off as the permatex comes off very difficult. So on like a pan gasket, put it on the pan not the block. Nothing normally on head gaskets.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 10:41   #4

Thanks first the replies, I haven't used permatex, and have a feeling that the oil pan is going to be tricky because of the location and size. I assume it's available in automotive stores?
Old 15-12-2023, 10:57   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowser View Post
Thanks first the replies, I haven't used permatex, and have a feeling that the oil pan is going to be tricky because of the location and size. I assume it's available in automotive stores?
Yes, Permatex #2 is readily available [in a tube], but it is much thicker than the #3 I recommend for use with thin gaskets. I do see the #3 Aviation in a bottle with a brush up here in most hardware stores.

Note: Don’t get Permatex #1; that is the hardening formula which will require much scraping and cleaning to remove in the future…

Cheers, Bill
Old 17-12-2023, 15:44   #6

Picked up some Permatex #2 over the weekend and got the oil pan reinstalled. Worked great, makes the pan side just tacky enough to keep the gasket in place while I got the bolts in place.
Thanks for the advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	284527  
Old 17-12-2023, 17:00   #7

Yanmar gasket sets now come with 2 big fat tubes of “ Threebond” silicone gasket maker ...... no actual timing cover gasket, no oil pan spacer gasket, no oil pan gasket,....... just Threebond!!
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 10:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowser View Post
Picked up some Permatex #2 over the weekend and got the oil pan reinstalled. Worked great, makes the pan side just tacky enough to keep the gasket in place while I got the bolts in place.
Thanks for the advice
I’m glad you had success…

Now fess up; how far up your hands and arms [etc.] did the Permatex crawl? <grin>

Cheers, Bill

PS: I got it [#2 Permatex gasket compound] all over a couple of large adjustable wrench handles a couple of years ago. They are still coated and now tacky enough to not readily transfer to my hands. It makes for an excellent non-slip grip on those heavy wrenches…
Old 18-12-2023, 11:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
I’m glad you had success…

Now fess up; how far up your hands and arms [etc.] did the Permatex crawl? <grin>

Cheers, Bill

PS: I got it [#2 Permatex gasket compound] all over a couple of large adjustable wrench handles a couple of years ago. They are still coated and now tacky enough to not readily transfer to my hands. It makes for an excellent non-slip grip on those heavy wrenches…
Ha, yep... the one time I decide not to use gloves. That stuff certainly is messy.
Old 18-12-2023, 23:23   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ But it smells very much perfume!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 17:01   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Yanmar gasket sets now come with 2 big fat tubes of “ Threebond” silicone gasket maker ...... no actual timing cover gasket, no oil pan spacer gasket, no oil pan gasket,....... just Threebond!!
Interesting to know that what I've been doing for years ( Using silicone or loctite master gasket ) instead of yanmars asteroid dust gaskets is not that bad.
I'd imagine the 3 Bond is a "special price" as well
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 18:02   #12

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

For things that need to come apart occasionally (like valve covers) a nice "trick" is to seal the gasket to the pan/cover/etc well (such as with silicone) and put a think coat of oil on the smooth (block) side of the joint. Then apply a bead of silicone to the gasket, wait until it "just" skins and assemble. This makes disassembly easy as well as avoiding tearing the gasket later.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 18:09   #13

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Another trick useful for parts where keeping proper registration is important and/or difficult is to use locating dowels. These are simply headless screws that you can make from inexpensive bolts from the hardware store. Choose the correct thread, cut off the head, perhaps hacksaw a slot in the unthreaded end to facilitate removal and place a couple to align the gasket and part. Best choose/cut the bolt so the smooth/unthreaded area bears on the part. Remove when done and replace with the correct bolt.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 20:53   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Good tips jamhass
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 08:06   #15

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Permatex cleans up easily with solvent alcohol (shellac thinner). Great stuff that has been around since 1909.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket