Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 18:21   #1

Replacing engine mounts

Hi team, time for new engine mounts! But what should I do with this lot? If I found a way to replace like for like, I can't even see how these were adjustable in the first place Port one is badly collapsed.

I've never done this before and it's time to learn I can fabricate new feet if necessary. I've searched the web for standard feet but no luck.

Oh yeah should say this is a Perkins 4108 and according to the shaft alignment its hanging down at the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front mounts big.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	119721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1966 (1).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	119723  

Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 18:25   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Replacing engine mounts

They look remarkably like auto engine mounts, possibly old holden ??

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 18:28   #3

Polyflex Brisbane check their Web site.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 18:41   #4

Yeah they do look like engine mounts! No good for a boat I would think because of the lack of adjustment.

Thanks for the tip on Polyflex, I contacted them and they offered normal mounts for normal feet.

I am trying Perkins themselves otherwise I guess I or someone will have to do some steel fabrication
Old 27-02-2016, 20:31   #5

Doubt if Perkins will know what your talking about. They look like old silentbloc Mounts try their Web site. Good luck.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 21:30   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
Yeah they do look like engine mounts! No good for a boat I would think because of the lack of adjustment.

Thanks for the tip on Polyflex, I contacted them and they offered normal mounts for normal feet.

I am trying Perkins themselves otherwise I guess I or someone will have to do some steel fabrication
I just went through this with our 420 kg/96HP Nissan engine. It was originally hard mounted, but I wanted soft mounts. I had to fabricate all new engine mounts from scratch.

My dear old Transmig 165 is good for up to about 6mm steel, but no good after that, and I needed 12mm plate. So I cut up the bits and tack welded them together, then gave them to an engineer nearby to do the proper welding. $40 for the steel offcuts from the local steel merchant and $50 to the welding guy. He did them within an half an hour of me giving them to him, the biggest delay was waiting for them to cool down before I could collect them from him.

I wish all boat jobs came out this cheap!

And yes, those really do look like car engine mounts, don't they, classic V mount position. I imagine they would make maintaining shaft alignment very, very difficult. So much movement.

Matt
Old 27-02-2016, 23:41   #7

I've got the front one off now and it had a bunch of shims under both ends. Was really rusty too!

I haven't digested it quite yet (I will sleep on it) but I'm leaning towards welding up some new feet. Should be within my humble abilities Even if I can source OEM ones they may be too short or maybe too many $$$'s

My approach on this is that anything I can do in labour, I don't have to pay someone to do. Even if I resort to the mechanic towards the end, which I'm happy to do.

First step to solve my shaft vibration is to fit decent mounts, then align, then...

Thanks

Tags
engine