Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 05:37   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Replacing Dual Lever Control with Single Lever Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
... To go from forward to reverse on my current arrangment, I take both hands off the wheel, use one to starboard to slow the throttle down, one to port to change gears, and then one to starboard to throttle up again ...
You might try, instead:
Taking one hand off the wheel, using it to throttle down to idle, return that hand to the wheel, and remove the other hand to shift through neutral to reverse, then exchange hands (again) to throttle up, if required.
Properly executed, it should be a leisurely exercise.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:55   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
To go from forward to reverse on my current arrangment, I take both hands off the wheel, use one to starboard to slow the throttle down, one to port to change gears, and then one to starboard to throttle up again. What a pain! I'm sure the differing opinions are well-founded, but I certainly don't see it.

Harry
Although I cannot fully picture the installation, it sounds like a booboo in original design Maybe consider modifying the original installation?

I have sympathy with you as my first boat had dual levers (as one unit) - mine were mounted so the levers operated Port to Starboard and behind the tiller

Took me a while to sort that by fitting a single lever - headed with the bow

As per all my jobs didn't get finished quickly - so for a few months was operating the controls with simply the bare cables, with molegrips on each ............I probably gaffa taped on some id on what each did - actually better than the original solution.

My present boat also has dual levers and it was going to be a high priority to change to single. But now I love 'em (mounted port and starboard on the steering binacle) and won't ever change them, unless one breaks and a single is far cheaper to replace with.

For me the main attraction is a closed throttle but with the gearbox engaged allows the boat to creep forward at a known speed when docking - and I can do that every time without the risk of over egging the power forward ......

Plus forces a 1 (or 2) second wait before changing direction - to avoid cavitation on the rudder - i.e. I know that when I hit full power that something will happen
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 17:16   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Although I cannot fully picture the installation, it sounds like a booboo in original design Maybe consider modifying the original installation?

I have sympathy with you as my first boat had dual levers (as one unit) - mine were mounted so the levers operated Port to Starboard and behind the tiller

Took me a while to sort that by fitting a single lever - headed with the bow

Most tiller boats around here are shifted and throttled with a size 10 deck shoe while standing to peer over the cockpit. I'd need another leg or levitation ability to operate dual controls on my boat. And yes tranverse mounting adds a whole new level of excitement.

Maybe I need a binnacle, and a wheel, and 10 more feet LOA...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-922492800.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	34373  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 16:01   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
I replaced my entire pedestal last winter with a new Edson vision series unit. Went from dual controls to single. There was nothing difficult about the conversion and Edson sells the control separately. I went with new cables and spent some time getting leads nicer and tension right but have been very happy. I prefer having one hand available for the wheel and the other for controls. Obviously YMMV.
SV Demeter,
When you replaced binnacle, did the new one fit cockpit sole same as old one, or did you have to make modifications? How easy was it to connect new equipment to your older steering equipment? ~~ I have 1984 Peerson 34. figuring out how involved it will be to change out original binnacle. In my case, I'll put in new Edson Classic style. thank you.
Turtle Moon is offline   Reply With Quote