Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2024, 14:18   #1

Boat: Passport 41
Replacing diesel tank with smaller ones

Hi folks,

My boat came with a black iron diesel tank. It was put in place, glassed in and then the cockpit was built above it. As you can imagine, the glass de-laminated and the black iron corroded badly so I had to cut the tank in pieces to remove it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to fit new tank(s) in there without losing too much of the original 56 gallons capacity.

Since the access is via the lazarette's access door, I cannot get a single tank big enough in there. My first thought was to buy/fabricate the two biggest tanks I could get through the access door, with one of them being a bit like a day tank in the sense that it'd be the only one feeding the engine and it'd in turn be fed by a pump (with a filter) connected to the main tank. The return line from the engine would go to the day tank. Does that sound like a reasonable option or am I better off doing something else?

In case the above is ok, I wouldn't mind having to manually activate the transfer pump, but it'd be good to have it stop automatically when the day tank is full. Is there a way to do that? Also, I guess I should keep their vents separated? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 16:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Replacing diesel tank with smaller ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating View Post
In case the above is ok, I wouldn't mind having to manually activate the transfer pump, but it'd be good to have it stop automatically when the day tank is full. Is there a way to do that?
I am sure it is possible, but is it needed? Don’t forget KISS.

We have a day tank (a great addition btw). We fill the day tank via a 2 micron filter after we have been sitting in a quiet anchorage for some time. This combination of the fine filter and not extracting fuel from a stirred up tank ensures the diesel is as clean and as water free as possible.

When sailing we do the opposite and polish the fuel in the main tanks.

Transferring the fuel at anchor also means it is easy to monitor the level without any distractions. An automatic system is something else to go wrong.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 16:21   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Replacing diesel tank with smaller ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating View Post
Hi folks,

My boat came with a black iron diesel tank. It was put in place, glassed in and then the cockpit was built above it. As you can imagine, the glass de-laminated and the black iron corroded badly so I had to cut the tank in pieces to remove it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to fit new tank(s) in there without losing too much of the original 56 gallons capacity.

Since the access is via the lazarette's access door, I cannot get a single tank big enough in there. My first thought was to buy/fabricate the two biggest tanks I could get through the access door, with one of them being a bit like a day tank in the sense that it'd be the only one feeding the engine and it'd in turn be fed by a pump (with a filter) connected to the main tank. The return line from the engine would go to the day tank. Does that sound like a reasonable option or am I better off doing something else?

In case the above is ok, I wouldn't mind having to manually activate the transfer pump, but it'd be good to have it stop automatically when the day tank is full. Is there a way to do that? Also, I guess I should keep their vents separated? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
That’s the very setup I’ve used for ten years now and I love it.

60 litre day tank (about 15 US gallons) fed from a 250 litre (66 gallon) keel tank via a Scintex electric pump. Utterly trouble free.

Biggest advantage is that the day tank is higher than the engine so priming is a non issue and a failed lift pump would also not be a major problem.

But yes, return and pickup to the day tank, vents… well, separate is sensible but I’ve actually got mine T’d to the same cockpit breather, as long as there’s nowhere for fuel to pool in the breather line I can’t see a problem.

Edit: regarding the transfer pump, absolutely MUST be a momentary type button or switch. Nothing you can leave on by accident. The mess is dreadful, I know, because the PO did exactly this and flooded the whole boat with diesel.

Since I can transfer an hour’s worth of fuel in 10 seconds, I just push the button now and then when I see the day tank has fallen below 30%.

Tags
diesel