Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 12:11   #46

Boat: Mahe 36
Re: Replacement to Volvo OEM filter 3840525

Yes, I saw the YouTube vid of the cowboy oil filter expert. He is a bit misleading but why quibble. The point should be, Does a chosen filter work, do the job for which it was designed and last as long as needed?

For as long as FRAM has been making filters, the market seems to say a resounding, Yes, but I see a bit too much sales hype and too little hard data in the filter industry….come to think of it, the marine industry as well.

The question, “Is something better?”, should be qualified with, Is the “better” significant? There is no published data on either Perkins or VP oil filters that I have been able to find. Ditto WIX, MANN, NAPA and surprisingly several others. I’m sure that data is available somewhere but I gave up trying to find it, which makes me wonder “If the data is really meaningful, why don’t the manufacturers use it as a sales tool.”

Anyway, this is what I’m doing for my boat. I appreciate both the comment about the hose barb/clamp fittings and the particular choice of alloy in the adapter. The former will be swayed fittings once the length/routing is finalized. The alloy, only time will tell but if there appears to be any issues, another $25 in a few years is an easy fix.
Cheers
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 13:00   #47

Re: Replacement to Volvo OEM filter 3840525

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
So which one did you use?

Greg
I pieced mine together from components used on other marine engine applications. The oil outlet which fits on the block was from a 5.7 liter GM block and the filter head from a Ford engine. A little mixing and matching with adapters to get the threads that I wanted and it works fine.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, volvo