Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2020, 10:51   #16

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Replacement to Volvo OEM filter 3840525

Quote:
They recommended staying with the OEM filter for your engine

Volvo don't make their own filters. Mann has made and sold them to Volvo for years.

As long as the filter fits or exceeds all specs and is well made it is fine to use. Mann, Hengst, WIX, NAPA Gold (which is made by WIX) are all pretty good OE spec filters.

The VP filters have the same thread, pressure, gasket size, area, check valve, relief valve as the gas engine filters. Volvo and Volvo Penta have been using the same size filter for well over 50 years. If you want a longer filter use a Fl1A Ford (or any of the above manufacturers) one. Same sizes except longer and more filter medium area. The only essential difference is the diesel filters are usually 20 or so micron versus around 15 micron for the gas engine ones. If you change your filter on a regular basis this is moot.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 11:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
..... I believe you will be fine with either filter.
I assume both have a back flow valve as that has become I believe common on most all filters.

Too many people select filters based on thread and gasket size for it to be an issue in my opinion, average Joe doesn’t know enough to look for bypass pressure settings, and I have never heard of engine damage from an incorrect bypass pressure, doesn’t mean it can’t happen, but if it does I bet it’s exceedingly rare

Well said. Both his Mann filters have check valves. More importantly they both are 300GPM filters. Flow rate, micron size, check valve and pressure ratings are key factors to look at in addition to general size requirements. The bypass feature will only come into play when you build up that much back pressure against the filter medium.
Old 31-01-2020, 14:36   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Very informative, thanks.

FWIW Volvo-Penta is using Perkins labelled and distributed engines, but they are not Perkins manufactured. The current D2 engines start life as Shibaura (Diesel Engine | IHI Shibaura Machinery Corporation) diesels in Japan. Perkins markets them elsewhere. About 25 years ago the Perkins-Sabre joint venture marinized these engines, offering a small marine diesel product line that could meet the new environmental standards. Meanwhile V-P desperately needed a compliant product line to replace their old diesels. By buying the Perkins-Sabre product line they solved their design problem while offering a much larger sales volume to Perkins. It was a big win for everyone except the P-S customers, who suddenly found themselves having to pay much higher prices for parts from V-P.

When I first looked into it a decade ago I found that Perkins did not sell parts for the Shibaura diesels to retail customers; it is a distributor product and all parts and service are meant to be dealt with by the value-added manufacturers. Has that changed?

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 15:09   #19

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
Practical Sailor tested 18 different oil filters in 6/2019 and only two were not recommended: FRAM and SIERRA. They recommended staying with the OEM filter for your engine.

I also despise the high price of OEM filters particularly Volvo Penta as my D2-55B uses the VP 3840525 filter. In the past I have looked for a cross reference to others but still unable to find them although someone recommended FLEETGUARD LF17476 which I have yet to check out.

Sounds like an opportunity for some young entrepreneur to cross reference all these OEM part details and publish the alternatives on a web site.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Wix 57000 or NAPA Gold 7000
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:26   #20

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

Hi all. Every engine manufacturer knows their tolerances in their engine. It will be clear, that the contamination in the lubrication oil must be controlled and kept on a low level. It is highly comprehensive and time consuming laboratory work to define the quality of a filter. The engine manufacturer will have choosen and tested his applied filter(s) which is best suitable for his engines. He has also to garantee his engines and therefore also the applied filter is an important component of his engine. A good filter has many characteristics as: suitable for the designed oil flow, large flooded wet surface, high percentage of filtered particles at a certain size - most particles at 4 - 6 - 15 micron-, various filter-layers, a small pressure drop over the filter and a long life time. Also the viscosity of the lubrication oil fluid and the fluid himself, is playing an important role. Last but not least: also the quality of assembly and glueing of the filtermaterial in the housing must be 100 % with a controlled qualitiy assurance.
Therefore it is far from suitable to choose a filter on the mounting parameters as mounting thread and mechanical sizes and cost. So therefore do not try to save a couple of dollars on the filter. You just do not know what you are buying if only looking at cost and dimensions.
Concerning a bypass check valve: normally this valve is not integrated in the filter itself. Also a bypass valve must be of good quality, because it may happen, that in case of high viscosity (low oil temperatures and high engine speed, resulting in higher pressure drops over filtermaterial and housing) the bypass check valve may open and not correctly close and stay open partially. In this case you are not filtering at all with all consequences. Normally the cracking pressure (point of opening) is not important, because it may open incidentally. A bypass valve to open when the filter is clogged too much may not happen and the filter should be replaced before clogging.
I' writing this as an independant hydraulics engineer.

Good luck
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 18:25   #21

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Mann W917 filters will work fine also and can be had in white from Mann. These are gas engine filters at 15 micron as opposed to 21 micron for the diesel filter.
I want this to be true because these filters are good, cheap, and common. However, I see that the thread size for the W917 on the Mann website are metric M 20 X 1.5mm, but the thread size for the volvo filter appears to be Imperial 3/4-16. These are close but not the same. Can someone confirm definitively that they are close enough? Without that confirmation, I won't be using it.

Also, does anyone know what the number behind the slash means in the Mann part number? Like, what is the difference between the W 712/80 and the W 712/98 and the W 712/20?
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 21:44   #22

Quote:
Therefore it is far from suitable to choose a filter on the mounting parameters as mounting thread and mechanical sizes and cost. So therefore do not try to save a couple of dollars on the filter. You just do not know what you are buying if only looking at cost and dimensions.

Your whole post is spot on but Volvo never made their own filters. Mann & Hummel did/does. If you check ALL the specs from Mann's catalogs you will find the white W917 meets the same minimum specs as the OE part number from Penta. It doesn't come in a sexy Scandanavian blue/white lettering box though. Wix and NAPA Gold filters will also easily meet the OE Diesel engine specs.
Old 10-05-2020, 22:23   #23

Quote:
Your whole post is spot on but Volvo never made their own filters. Mann & Hummel did/does. If you check ALL the specs from Mann's catalogs you will find the white W917 meets the same minimum specs as the OE part number from Penta. It doesn't come in a sexy Scandanavian blue/white lettering box though. Wix and NAPA Gold filters will also easily meet the OE Diesel engine specs.
I'm not concerned about the quality of the W917. Mann probably makes volvo filters anyway, and the exact match seems to be the W712/98. My concern is that the W917 simply doesn't fit properly. The W917 has metric threads (M20 X 1.5) and the Volvo 3840525 / Mann W712/98 have imperial (3/4-16).

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/e...ter/W%20712~98

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/e...lter/W%20917~1
Old 11-05-2020, 01:25   #24

Boat: NordicCruiser

I normally also buy MANN for automotive applications. But exactly the fact, that the cross reference is not unique, as I specified in my first post - I came to the conclusion that the Perkins filter might be the best alternative. I ordered one and it is exactly the same than the Volvo filter, just another print on the outside.

https://eu.perkins.com/en-de/parts/e...ters/140517050
NordicCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicCruiser View Post
I normally also buy MANN for automotive applications. But exactly the fact, that the cross reference is not unique, as I specified in my first post - I came to the conclusion that the Perkins filter might be the best alternative. I ordered one and it is exactly the same than the Volvo filter, just another print on the outside.

https://eu.perkins.com/en-de/parts/e...ters/140517050
Cheap too! Thanks!
Old 11-05-2020, 02:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post
Cheap too! Thanks!
Yes, and you will be surprised when you compare with an original Volvo :-)
If you order in the morning, they usually ship next business day.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicCruiser View Post
Yes, and you will be surprised when you compare with an original Volvo :-)
If you order in the morning, they usually ship next business day.
Believe me, I've noticed!
Old 11-05-2020, 02:26   #28

Perkins has also confirmed to me, that this is the right filter matching to their engine which is the Volvo Penta D2-55 so everywhere where the Volvo Part number 3840525 fits, this filter can be applied.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:33   #29

Quote:
My concern is that the W917 simply doesn't fit properly. The W917 has metric threads (M20 X 1.5) and the Volvo 3840525 / Mann W712/98 have imperial (3/4-16).

The W917 has standard threads, not metric.

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/e...Filter/W%20917

You are looking at a W917/1 which is not the same filter as a W917
Old 12-05-2020, 18:36   #30

Quote:
The W917 has standard threads, not metric.

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/e...Filter/W%20917

You are looking at a W917/1 which is not the same filter as a W917
Very true! Thanks for catching my mistake! Wish I knew how to decode the Mann filter numbers.

Tags
men, volvo