Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2021, 23:55   #1

Replace Volvo 2002

Hi all,

Ibam looking at a boat with a dead penta 2002. I am not to worried about this. Just wondering if anyone has replaced a Volvo with a Bukh. The dealership near me told me to go with a Beta 24, and they are a bukh dealer. I was wondering what is involved and if it is feasible to replace the Volvo with a Bukh 24.
fretbrner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 01:31   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Replace Volvo 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretbrner View Post
Hi all,

Ibam looking at a boat with a dead penta 2002. I am not to worried about this. Just wondering if anyone has replaced a Volvo with a Bukh. The dealership near me told me to go with a Beta 24, and they are a bukh dealer. I was wondering what is involved and if it is feasible to replace the Volvo with a Bukh 24.
Beta yes, bukh no.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 19:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Beta yes, bukh no.
In the words of Pauline Hanson, "Please explain"?

Why do you feel a Beta enginecis better than a Bukh?
Old 25-02-2021, 19:58   #4

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Bukh had a great reputation in the 70/80's, mostly known for expensive parts today.

Beta 20 with can be ordered with a volvo 2002 replacement cradle.
It makes it a drop-in replacement. just change the axle flange, connect fuel and exhaust and go.

.manitu
Old 25-02-2021, 20:49   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretbrner View Post
In the words of Pauline Hanson, "Please explain"?

Why do you feel a Beta enginecis better than a Bukh?

Hi, beta engines are marinised kubota engines, parts availability is very good worldwide, you don't need to frequent marine engine outlets as the base engines are used in many and varied industrial applications, whereas Bukh are an older marine specific engine that forces you to deal with "marine" dealers exclusively. There are Bukh dealers that recondition second hand engines, often with a can of red paint, which have been known to become money pits.
The fact that you have quoted dear Pauline tells me that you are an Aussie, intuition tells me that you are most likely located in Sydney or thereabouts and I could probably guess the dealer that you mentioned.
Another kubota based mariniser is WM diesel on sydney's northern beaches, in my opinion a better product however a little dearer.
Good luck in your decision making process.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 22:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, beta engines are marinised kubota engines, parts availability is very good worldwide, you don't need to frequent marine engine outlets as the base engines are used in many and varied industrial applications, whereas Bukh are an older marine specific engine that forces you to deal with "marine" dealers exclusively. There are Bukh dealers that recondition second hand engines, often with a can of red paint, which have been known to become money pits.
The fact that you have quoted dear Pauline tells me that you are an Aussie, intuition tells me that you are most likely located in Sydney or thereabouts and I could probably guess the dealer that you mentioned.
Another kubota based mariniser is WM diesel on sydney's northern beaches, in my opinion a better product however a little dearer.
Good luck in your decision making process.

Nah, I'm from Newcastle. But I am sure you are correct about the dealer. The reason I did want the Bukh, is because it has hand start capability, was built as a marine engine, not from a tractor engine, has replaceable cylinder sleeves, and was built to run continuously 24/7. As I plan to make the boat blue water capable (crossing the Pacific) having hand start capability is important to me. Do any other motors come with that function?

I agree that beta is a good engine but not what I really want in my motor.
Old 26-02-2021, 03:09   #7

Volvo 2002 has hand start capability..

If you live in NSW you DO NOT want to have a Bukh ...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 05:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Volvo 2002 has hand start capability..

If you live in NSW you DO NOT want to have a Bukh ...
Why?Does the dealer in Taron Point have a bad rep
Old 09-03-2021, 20:47   #9

Boat: Top Hat mkIII - 25ft

I had a Volvo 2003 replaced last week with a Beta 25hp on a 1988 Beneteau Oceanis 320. First sail this week, after brief testing on Botany Bay (Sydney) was to motor sail the boat 40 miles home along the coast. I'm very happy with the performance of the engine and the quality of the work performed by the dealer and his people.

Boat is shaft drive and I retained my 16inch, 3 blade fixed prop with the Morse control reassigned so the control forward position drives the boat forwards, as before. Apart from connection to an existing calorifier this was a standard set-up. For my estuary or coastal sailing I have no requirement for manual starting so I did not consider installing a Bukh.

In calm water, no current, I now easily reach 7 knots compared to 6 kn previously. FWIW, hull was antifouled six weeks ago and prop coated with Propspeed. Noise is lower and performance is better. Looking forward to further sailing and use of my new engine.

No previous association with the dealer or Beta.

lauriel
lauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:48   #10

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Our old Volvo had hand start also but I never used it. With a starting battery and a house bank and a spare starter motor never had a use for hand starting. That’s just me however. As far as the advantage of replcement cylinder sleeves I don’t know how old you are but we are full time cruising for 7 years with our new Beta and have 3000 hours on it. At that rate for us it will be 14 more years till a normal rebuild at 10,000 hours. Perhaps you will keep the boat many decades or plan on motoring across multiple oceans. By the way we were deciding between Volvo, Beta and Yanmar and a mechanic told us that any of the modern engines were hugely better than our old volvo. Fair Winds
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo