Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2009, 14:20   #1

Boat: Colvic Countess 33
Replace Injector Pipe - Vetus 4.14

I recently purchases a used boat. It is in great shape. Besides the marine survey, I had a mechanical survey done on the diesel. The only problem there was that one of the injector pipes running from the high pressure fuel pump to the injectors needed to replaced ( its a 4 cylinder )

I have received the part and being inexperienced on working with diesel engines was wondering if doing this job myself is a good idea or not? Its easy to access, but was told that there is a protective layer on the pipe connection that you have to be careful with.

Have any of you done this ( particularly on a Vetus engine ) ? Should I spend the money and get a professional to do it or can I go ahead and do this?
northbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 15:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Talking to the professionals...

I'd suggest having a chat with marine mechanics in your area. Get some idea of how good they are, how available and how much they charge.

On the iceberg theory your injector pipe may represent 10% of the work needed on your engine. You need to find out what can be kept going, what must be fixed and to work out a maintenance plan.

If you do get a mechanic get him/her to show you how to change the oil (gearbox and engine), filters (fuel, air, oil and raw water) and raw water impeller. If you can find spares for these (they may be on the boat already) even better.

A good mechanic could also make suggestions to improve reliability (like adding a primary filter for instance).
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vetus, injector pump