Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 06:01   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Replace engine panel what type of tach

Greetings,

My ancient Yanmar engine panel is so sad. I was thinking of fixing some of the pieces but am thinking it may be better to just replace.

I found a company that makes a decent looking panel. They are 'acdcmarine' in Torrence Ca.

I'd like to have gauges which the new one has, and actually have a working tach. But the company has 3 options for the tach and I have no clue how to determine which one I need. Description States:
-------------------------------------------
Please Note Which RPM pickup your engine has before purchase.

The Alternator Tach which is also called the variable ratio tachometer, is hooked up to the AC output terminal on the alternator. This terminal can be marked in a variety of different ways: AC, AUX., S, R, TACH, or nothing at all. Once installed, the tach is then calibrated to that specific engine by using a shop tach or a known “no load” governor speed. The white label on this tach gives the formula: [Crankshaft pulley dia./alternator pulley dia x NO. of Alt. Poles = N] “N” is used to determine the correct switch setting. Another adjustment on the back allows for fine tuning.

Please check the type of RPM signal your engine has, we have all three tachometers available for purchase
----------------------------------------------------

I recently replaced my alternator and there was a connector that I put a wire on, but not sure where it routed to. There is a sending unit on the flywheel. The engine is a Yanmar 3HM 35F. Attached pic is the panel I'm considering. Opinions and info much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	173357  
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:18   #2

Re: Replace engine panel what type of tach

Thanks for the post. I am planning the same project & parts this winter as I attempt to declutter & simplify my cockpit. I was unaware of the tach pick-up signal selection on the part. Following
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:05   #3
O32

Boat: Ontario 32

I have an old smaller Yanmar. The tach pickup is not from the alternator. It is from a magnetic sensor that is in the flywheel housing. It gets a pulse each time a flywheel gear tooth goes by. If you follow the wiring from the panel tach you may find you have the same.

I replaced my tach with a universal model made by VDO. It has to be calibrated to match the number of teeth on the flywheel. Unfortunately, because we disconnect power during winter storage, this would have to be done every Spring. I just go with the default setting, know that the tach readout isn't quite right and live with it.

I guess going to an alternator type is an alternative. Somehow I thought that was mainly for gas engines. Also sounds like they need calibration.
O32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 08:12   #4

Boat: Beneteau 323

Hello,

Looking at AC DC for a new Yanmar engine instrument panel. Any thoughts on AC DC? Did they deliver what they said they would deliver?

Thanks!
Old 14-08-2019, 11:41   #5

Boat: Manta 42

Several Manta owners (myself included) have purchased replacement panels from AC DC for our Volvo MD2030s and we've all been happy.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine