Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2014, 16:39   #31

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Re: Repair or Repower?

Oh I think everyone can agree that there are upsides to diesel power. Just not everyone can justify the cost to get them in their personal situation. When I repowered I went from 400 to 300 lbs. cut the engine displacement in half keeping the same torque at the screw, upgraded to a more modern reverse gear, increased my criusing range due to lower fuel usage and the fuel lasts indefinately. That all sounds like an upside to me. Plus ditching carboration and ignition systems. All a matter of choice and means.
Old 24-06-2014, 18:13   #32

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

And I think folks can understand the downside to diesel engines on a sailboat. For many weekenders and short distance cruisers, running a diesel engine just long enough to get out of the marina and setting the sails and reversing at the end of the day isn't the best way to run a diesel engine.

It's all about perspective and usage. The OP has a vessel that is 40+ years old. Great hulls they built back then. Mine Pearson was built in 1962. Bullet proof. I have the original A4 - untouched. Since I am in fresh water, the engine could last decades just as she is. Fresh water cooling can also lengthen the life of any engine. However, spending 10K on a 40 y/o sailboat makes sense if you are going on a long cruise and want that fresh reliability that comes from a new engine. Hell, a 40 y/o sailboat isn't likely to be worth much more than that even in pristine condition. Once you put that new diesel engine in a 40 y/o boat worth 10K you will have increased the value of that boat to, say, 11K. Replace it with a rebuilt Moyer A4 and the boat will be increased in value to, say, 10K.

Don't put a diesel engine in the 40y/o boat if you are thinking it will increase the value any appreciable amount. Put it in if you are going to cruise far far away.

If you can get her to your uncle in FL for some help, do it. It'll be fun.
Old 24-06-2014, 19:09   #33

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Op ask about yanmar rebuilt suppliers. Anyone have any info on good shops on the east coast? Any info On the average cost?
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 20:47   #34

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

How about pulling the engine and shipping it to your uncle, the mechanic? Freight on that rebuilt Yanmar was only $242, from NY to LA.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 21:23   #35

Boat: Catalina 387

But then the boat will be stuck. Run it on three and get it to the uncle.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 22:27   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Don't put a diesel engine in the 40y/o boat if you are thinking it will increase the value any appreciable amount. Put it in if you are going to cruise far far away.
Don't do anything to any boat thinking you will recoup the investment much less make a profit on the mod - These aren't houses where a second bathroom or remodelled kitchen puts you in a new tax bracket.

The "market" expects the median boat to be in median condition. If the engine is not working it puts it in the 25th percentile (or less). If the engine is new, maybe 75th percentile or above. If everything is new you might be in the 95th percentile. You don't turn an Edsel into a Ferrari by adding a Ferrari engine.

Also you need to read the fine print - What is included with the repower?

In addition to engine you will/may need - Prop, transmission, engine controls, different filtering system (racor etc) a return line to the fuel tank, a new fuel tank, redone engine beds, new shaft/cutlass bearing arrangement?

Yes - argue back about picking this stuff up used at a swap meet or something. I have played boat treasure hunt many times. Your boat is on the hard and you are looking for a used engine panel vs. the $600 the manufacturer wants for new.

I don't know why this Atomic 4 debate keeps coming up. Unless the case is holed by a thrown rod or something repower makes no sense.

Now - of course - nothing makes financial sense in boating.

If you "want" diesel - get diesel. You deserve to be spoiled and it's your boat.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:54   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

Get rid of gas....diesel is the way to go in my opinion. What horsepower do you need to replace? There are tons of boats on the market that have been damaged in hurricanes etc. I am sure that you could find a salvaged operating Diesel engine on line that would work in your case. Not sure about the transmission configuration however, if this is the chance to get rid of gas (assuming that you are keeping the boat for a while) I would do it.

I have also seen boats for sale with running engines that are less than the value of the engine itself.

I had my westerbeke rebuilt and it cost me $3k + but it is now reliable. The options for me were the same as I considered a Beta based on service access and quietness. I have no experience with Yanmar but my gut tells me that a Beta will serve you better.

I have seen many rebuilt sailboat diesels for sale on line.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:01   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

Www.tadiesels.com

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:03   #39

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Here's a very low hour diesel for $3k.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...il-129094.html
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 13:20   #40

I would like to pass along a simple trick to keep your Atomic 4 happy.

My Cal 2-30 had one and it provided great service after I learned how to solve the sticking valve problem.
When ever you shut off the engine there will always be one valve that is open. The normal humidity in the engine area of a sailboat gets very high and the wet exhaust means that the open valve and its valve stem is going to rust if the engine is not run often.
I made it a practice that if I was not going to run the engine for a week or longer I would pour Marvel Mystery oil into the carburetor until the engine quit. This would leave a fine coating of oil on the valves and valve stem. I never had another stuck valve again.
Transpac 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 15:38   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

A proper test will tell if your low compression is rings or valves. That could help in a decision. Also, if the engine starts and runs you can go where you have more options.
You can run the engine as is. It will use oil and not have as much power, but low compression doesn't mean it will break in the near future.
A diesel replacement will help the resale, but may not raise the value as much as the total cost of replacement.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower