Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 21:17   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Repair of Water Pump Pedestal for 5411 Universal

I had to remove my Oberdorfer water pump and had a corroded bolt and torqued off the bolt head. In the process of extracting the bolt I fractured the section of the pedestal receiving the bolt(see picture below).

Is there any way this can be salvaged- welded or some jerry rigged option? I used the engine much of the summer with just one bolt holding the wate pump in place so I'm not sure that I need a whole lot of holding power here.

Second option- I have an extra 5411 engine in the basement(long story) but given the incredible corrosion on the present water pump pedestal, I'm nervous about getting it off the engine. Again see pictures.

Third option is switching engines but that seems like a real hassle. Thoughts?

Contraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 21:19   #2

Re: Repair of Water Pump Pedestal for 5411 Universal

Here's another picture with the broken pieces held in place.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:47   #3

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Any competent machine shop could remake the bad ear. The problem is can it be disassembled enough to transport or is it part of the engine? It looks like you suffer from the same malady I do, procrastination. It's just a little leak, or it doesn't look that bad, I'll get it tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's a bigger than I thought problem. Good Luck.

Dale Sailing Vessel Vigah / Blog | Refit of a neglected sailboat
bletso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:33   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I'd clean up all the metal, JB weld the chunk back in place, sand the face flush and drill and tap the damaged hole. Just like new!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'd clean up all the metal, JB weld the chunk back in place, sand the face flush and drill and tap the damaged hole. Just like new!!!

1. how to clean and prepare the metal(solvents, sanding, etc).
2. How to apply the JB Weld in 35 degree weather? How much weld do you put on the broken off pieces? How do you keep them in place while waiting for the epoxy to cure? Fast curing--- heat gun?
3. How much excess epoxy should I put on the back to reinforce? Extra goop here won't effect the placement of the water pump.

Appeciate your thoughts. thanks.
Old 09-12-2013, 15:52   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contraman View Post
1. how to clean and prepare the metal(solvents, sanding, etc).
2. How to apply the JB Weld in 35 degree weather? How much weld do you put on the broken off pieces? How do you keep them in place while waiting for the epoxy to cure? Fast curing--- heat gun?
3. How much excess epoxy should I put on the back to reinforce? Extra goop here won't effect the placement of the water pump.

Appeciate your thoughts. thanks.

1. Clean all of the loose paint off and rust, then ideally brush or sand until the metal is clean and shiny (as shiny as cast iron can be). A solvent such as acetone or brake clean or similar will ensure you have removed all of the oils.

2. Mock up the pieces with some tape holding the whole mess together, then mix the epoxy up and slather on the joint sections. mush the whole mess back together and tape it up to hole it in place.
The tape holds everything so you can walk away and let it cure, maybe put a light on it to assist with the cure.

3. You really shouldn't need a bunch on the back, but whatever feels good will work. The better your alignment of the pieces the easier your job of drilling and tapping will be later.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pedestal, water