Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 18:59   #1

Removing the engine and genset from Morgan 41 OI tips?

Hi everyone, i have a 1978 Morgan OI 41 with a 4.154 perkins, is there anyone that has the same boat that has already removed the engine and genset ? How did you do it? Any tips?
bustylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 19:01   #2

Re: Removing the engine and genset from Morgan 41 OI tips??

Click image for larger version

Name:	1480302059398.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	137063Click image for larger version

Name:	1480302074718.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	137064
Old 28-11-2016, 05:09   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Removing the engine and genset from Morgan 41 OI tips??

Have you tried the Morgan owners yahoo or Facebook page? Either one will probably give you better answers.
Side note , I thought someone told me once they cut out the cockpit floor, made it remove able after,, and we're able to lift the engine enables straight out with the boom.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 05:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Removing the engine and genset from Morgan 41 OI tips?

I removed my Onan 7kw generator and my Westerbeke 4-107 by pulling then up a plywood ramp placed from the threshold of the engine room access door forward of my engine room. I used a block and tackle from my mast to draw these to a point beneath my companionway hatch. Of course I had removed all attachments from these engines before pulling them out.

The main boom can be subject to serious damage if you lift these weights from the center of the boom without countering the force. I kept a tensioned sling from my masthead opposing the weight of the load. I pulled the engines, one at a time, to the aft of my boom and then swung them out to a pallet on the dock.

I removed the companionway hatch assembly and the door to my engine room to accommodate the fit. I know there have been a variety of configurations for Morgan OI models and yours may be different than my 1973.

I should add that the placement of my new Kubota generator and Yanmar engines were completed with the used of the boatyards multi-jointed hydraulic device. This was amazingly simple and well-controlled.

Bottomline,- no need to cut out the base of the cockpit.
Old 28-11-2016, 05:45   #5

2 years ago, I pulled the 4.154 out of my 415 OI. What I did was cut the engine room door to make it higher. The engine fit fine after I took the motor mounts off and a few other things. The onan will be a piece of cake. However, you might want to remove the rotor first.

Framing out the new engine room door wasn't too bad though accommodating the curve in the passage way hall complicated the wood trim. Use lift-off hinges for the door. The new door is easier to get through which I like because I have back fusion on my spine.
snotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 13:05   #6

Ok thank you guys so much for the answers. To the guys that have removed the engines and gensets without cutting the floor out of the cockpit , do you guys have any pictures?
Old 28-11-2016, 13:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustylady View Post
Ok thank you guys so much for the answers. To the guys that have removed the engines and gensets without cutting the floor out of the cockpit , do you guys have any pictures?
I should be at my boat Wednesday. I will try to remember to take a picture of my engine room door.

Concerning cutting the floor of your cockpit. If your boat could be secured against the weather, cutting the cockpit floor might be the way to go. I undertook such a job when I had to re-core the cockpit of an old boat I owned. The work went surprisingly fast--but I knew how to work with fiberglass and epoxy and worked previously as a boat builder for a year or so. You will likely have to disconnect the wires and hoses of your binnacle in order to remove your engine which will have to be hoisted to the top of your engine room if you remove the engine through the engine room door. It would be much easier to repair or fabricate a new engine bed with the engine room ceiling removed. It would also facilitate grinding fiberglass in the engine room. Also, you wouldn't have to fabricate a new engine room door. It took me surprisingly long to fabricate and trim my new engine room door. In my case, because the engineering drawings posted on transatlantic diesel's site was wrong, I had to re-fabricate my engine beds more than once. You could imagine my chagrin when I got my new engine in the engine room and discovered they wouldn't accommodate my engine. I had to work under the new engine while it was suspended overhead to design and re-install the new beds.
Old 28-11-2016, 13:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
I don't have any photos, but then, my configuration may be far different from yours anyway. I have no walk-through, and therefore, a larger engine room with no hallway to the aft cabin. My genset and propulsion engine came directly forward before being lifted out.

I did take the opportunity to replace my fuel tanks when my engine was out as well as placing some sound barrier and painting the engine room area.
Old 28-11-2016, 14:28   #9

Thank you for your response! My funds are limited and my time is not, so taking a few days to remove my engine thru the engine room door and up the companion way is really not a big deal for me. I understand you had the Morgan with no hallway but your engine room is simalar right? Im really just looking for do and donts from someone that has removed thier gen and engine the way im thiking about doing it. Like you did.
Old 28-11-2016, 15:23   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe it doesn't matter, but the engine rooms can't be similar. My engine room with my fuel and water tanks extends across the full beam of my boat. I don't know the configuration of the engine rooms with the walk-throughs, but that must be different. I thought the door to your engine room would be from the "hallway" and you would need to bring the engine out to the side and then forward, but maybe you have a way out directly forward. I just don't know about your lay out.

My engine take-out was facilitated by hooking a block and tackle to the base of my mast and pulling it directly forward from it's motor mounts up a plywood ramp. I did use some pry bars for aligning the engine's passage through the door.

It seems that with some patience, pry bars, ramps, rollers, block & tackle and ingenuity, you can do it!

Hey, maybe you can find some friends, "Bubba and Cooter" that will lift these out for a case of beer! They've helped me!
Old 28-11-2016, 15:28   #11

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41

I have an 84 OI with the walk thru. Awesome boat..... and a 65 hp Perkins engine that is a 2008 model.

Mine went thru the cockpit floor though.

I am sitting here trying to think of how you could get that motor:

1. Up out of the engine well to the -- 4 feet over, and 3 feet up to the companion way
2. Then when you get there. Pick it up somehow and go down the hall, and around the bend to the main cabin and "Then" hoist it up using a line off the boom out the front hatch.

I just don't see it unless you completely disassemble both the motor and genset.

I mean pull the generator, head, exhaust, rotate it in place and drop the crank shaft, pistons, pull the injector system, cooling system and the like.

If you were willing to do that and could get down to the bare block..... Then, if you know of a couple of hefty, strong, but small guys who can arm handle 200 lbs of block, you could get it done.

Professional furniture movers would be perfect.

Keep in mind this is would get it to the point where you could winch it up and out the front hatch.

Actually I think it could be done if you break everything down first.

Otherwise, no way.

There is just not enough room to maneuver a Perkins diesel out the engine room door, down the hall and around the bend without breaking it down.

I mean just getting batteries into the engine room is a real feat.

You'll be surprised how much room is in the engine room after the gen-set is gone.

Mine needs a paint job but here is a photo of mine. uh, er,,,, I have photos but I can't seem to upload them. ??? Tells me "you do not have permission to access this page" , kinda weird when I'm on the upload page. Oh well you could private message me with your email address and I can send them to you. Or suggest how I can upload photos.

Either way, good luck.

Did you just acquire your OI or have you had it a while?

P.S. be sure and check out the fuel tank that is pretty much under the GenSet.

I stopped using mine and put in one across the hall from the engine under the shelf.
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 17:06   #12

You are right my engine room is narrower than yours and yes the engine room door is in the hallway, my thoughts where to remove the companian way stair case and remove the sink and hot water heater (needs an upgrade anyway) then make a big hole in the wall and pull the engine out the way you did?
Old 29-11-2016, 00:50   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

'just taking a step back for a moment,- What is your goal in removing the engine and generator? What is their condition? Are you considering replacing these with other units? What is your general geographic location? Do you have a reasonable cost boat yard or rebuild facilities in your area?
Old 29-11-2016, 07:48   #14

Removing the engine and genset from Morgan 41 OI tips?

I used a small 14$ furniture dolly from harbor freight. Set the engine minus the gear box and as much stuff as you can get off it on a plank across the chasm where the engine was. Slide the engine through an enlarged engine room door onto the furniture dolly. Roll dolly down the passage way aft. Lift engine up through aft hatch with forklift. It takes about 30 to 60 minutes. Don't worry about destroying the engine it is worth very little, I gave mine to the yard as a tip.
Old 29-11-2016, 07:59   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Hi everyone, i have a 1978 Morgan OI 41 with a 4.154 perkins, is there anyone that has the same boat that has already removed the engine and genset ? How did you do it? Any tips?
If you haven't already, join the "Morgan 41 OI Owners Group" on face book. Its very active and there is lots of information to be had. I removed my 4-154 This past spring and replaced it with a Yanmar 4JH2E ( rebuilt) I didn't have a generator so I only had half the work to do. But I dismantled everything down to the bare block and removed it piece by piece. We removed the blukhead that is behind the aft companionway stairs and it really opened things up alot and made the removal alot easier. Once we got the block into the aft cabin, we used a crane to remove it out the aft companionway (The aft companionway is both longer and wider than the forward one.

Once that was done we set about to rebuild the engine beds for the new engine and then dropped the complete yanmar (minus the alternator) into the aft cabin the yanmar is smaller in every dimension ( including weight) from the 4-154. I did the entire job myself took me 4 or 5 weekends of work! There are pictures on the group in facebook.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, morgan