Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2020, 14:44   #16

Boat: Morgan 414
Re: Removing the engine and genset from Morgan 41 OI tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotter View Post
I should be at my boat Wednesday. I will try to remember to take a picture of my engine room door.

Concerning cutting the floor of your cockpit. If your boat could be secured against the weather, cutting the cockpit floor might be the way to go. I undertook such a job when I had to re-core the cockpit of an old boat I owned. The work went surprisingly fast--but I knew how to work with fiberglass and epoxy and worked previously as a boat builder for a year or so. You will likely have to disconnect the wires and hoses of your binnacle in order to remove your engine which will have to be hoisted to the top of your engine room if you remove the engine through the engine room door. It would be much easier to repair or fabricate a new engine bed with the engine room ceiling removed. It would also facilitate grinding fiberglass in the engine room. Also, you wouldn't have to fabricate a new engine room door. It took me surprisingly long to fabricate and trim my new engine room door. In my case, because the engineering drawings posted on transatlantic diesel's site was wrong, I had to re-fabricate my engine beds more than once. You could imagine my chagrin when I got my new engine in the engine room and discovered they wouldn't accommodate my engine. I had to work under the new engine while it was suspended overhead to design and re-install the new beds.
I have a 1976 Morgan 414 and would like to replace the engine of unknown make and condition. Would you please share some of your photos if they are still available. Thank you. Long1pham@aol.com
long1pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 14:56   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by long1pham View Post
I have a 1976 Morgan 414 and would like to replace the engine of unknown make and condition. Would you please share some of your photos if they are still available. Thank you. Long1pham@aol.com
I've replaced the engine in my Outisland 41 and cutting the floor out is just lazy and criial. Its completely unneessary. you can easily remove the section of bulkhead behind the aft companionway ladder and the engine can pass out through there. I removed a seie 4.154 and installed a yanmar 4JH2E this way. If you are including a genset in this procedure, just remove the engine, then the old gen set and revers the order on the way back in. The only thing I needed to remove on the Yanmar to get it in was the alternator!

P.S. there is a very active morgan Out Island group on facebook that can answer all these questions and more!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:25   #18

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch

Mine has been replaced once already. The 4 cyl is gone and a perkins 6-354 sits there now. They cut the cockpit floor out to put it in. I am going to have my cockpit floor opened up again when I get it on the hard, have the soft patch seam redone and the whole floor rebuilt custom to attach to a new inner frame. Will have the engine overhauled while it's off. May as well.
nolakennedys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, morgan