Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 07:18   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Remote secondary fuel filter

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has a remote secondary fuel filter.

Since I seem to always mix up the terminology, by "secondary" filter I mean the finest filter, the one typically mounted on the engine, right before the fuel goes to the injection pump.

On my engine (westerbeke 55b) this filter is on the back of the engine and replacing it every year is probably the most difficult part of my annual engine maintenance (not complaining!).

I'd like to just remove the element and close it back up, and perform that level of filtration elsewhere. I think the problem is more complicated than just adding a filter of that particle size to the input leg, though, because secondary filters typically live on the _output_ end of the lift pump and probably need it's pressure to force the fuel through.

I imagine a filter area large enough could get around that problem, but I'd probably have to know what I was doing to size that appropriately...

Anyone ever relocate their primary?

-Chris
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:34   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Remote secondary fuel filter

It sounds like many people have just removed it and rely on a Racor primary for filtering and or a second racor with altered plumbing. Racor makes a spin on adapter for a secondary also.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd remove it and use a Racor 120 with a 2 micron filter, flows I think 15 GPH, which is surely enough
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:02   #4

Boat: 41' yawl

That certainly sounds like enough flow, but I wonder how that is determined.

Whether or not it works is dependent on the how much your lift pump "sucks", hehehe.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:50   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
That certainly sounds like enough flow, but I wonder how that is determined.

Whether or not it works is dependent on the how much your lift pump "sucks", hehehe.

This. Usually the issue is not distance, but height, which adds friction to the setup.

By analogy, I replaced my oil filter on the base of my Beta 60 with a "remote" oil filter mounted vertically on the forward bulkhead. It's still lower than the top of the oil circuit and involves only short stretches of hose. I can't see that a diesel filter off the engine, yet mindful of the same parameters and positioned not to further pressurize the fuel circuit couldn't accomplish the same goals: The world encompassed: Oil and painting
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:33   #6

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Curious. What filtration specs and systems do diesel vehicles use? Primary, secondary, microns?
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 18:30   #7

I've never done it but I've certainly thought about it. If I did, I would add an electric pump after the fuel tank before the filter. Also I would not remove the factory fitted engine filter element. I'd simply not change it very often but I would write on it with indelible pen the date to change; maybe every 2 years?
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, remote