Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2013, 07:55   #1

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch /1970
REMOTE OIL FILTER KIT

Does anybody know who makes a remote oil filter system for a perkins 4-107 (long filter). I have my engine compartment opened up and it would be a great time to solve an almost impossible oil filter change problem. A few years ago I came across someone that had done it but I have lost the link.

Thanks,
Starboardtack
Starboardtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 08:02   #2

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: REMOTE OIL FILTER KIT

I used to install these on race cars. Try Summit racing. They sell all the parts and may have something to fit your Perkins.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?k...20filter&dds=1
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 08:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I bought an Amsoil dual remote filter kit. Uses a standard oil filter and a secondary microfilter. Have not yet installed it but it looks very well made.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 09:19   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Most of the remote filter adapters you see at the auto parts stores etc . use a 3/4-16 thread, the same as a Perkins spin on filter. Pretty much the same filter as an old Ford pickup too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 10:24   #5

Boat: Tayana FD-12

This advice might not be applicable to all, but I built/modified mine for westerbeke 40 (4-108) out of plumbing parts and 1/4" aluminum plates. Get some hoses from mcmastercarr, 3/8" NPTM fittings, hopefully the ones that can rotate freely.
I made a block flange out of 1/4" aluminum plate. It is in the shape of the original filter flange. Drilled and tapped the holes for 3/8" NPT in that flange so they align with block oil ports. Then mounted the actual filter flange on a bulkhead nearby and "right side up" with filter hanging down from the flange. You need to cover the original opening with another 1/4" aluminum plate and a gasket. And you need to drill and tap another hole on the original filter flange and for oil to come out. Oil changes are a lot easier. Word of caution, i did have several revisions of gaskets and flanges to get to the optimal version that is oil leak free. I did have one major gasket failure with oil gushing out. (i tried using a bulkhead instead of 1/4" aluminum plate to cover the original filter flange opening)
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 19:48   #6

Phorvati,
Thanks for getting back to me. Its odd that you should describe a system that I was going to use but opted out to an off the shelf remote kit. The do not make a kit for the Perkins 4-107 and the one for the Westerbeke 40 was about $500 (which would not have fitted the cartridge oil filter of the 4-107 anyway. Instead I bought an $80 kit from NAPA . Unfortunately the new housing head that is supposed to take the place of the filter did not match the filter head of the perkins so I had a 1/4 aluminum plate placed between the two filter head housings. The only problem was the taping of the center of the Perkins filter housing so that a 3/4 inch nipple could be installed so as to draw the two housings together. Also Neither Napa or Auto Zone sold the nipple which canister filters screw onto. i suppose I could have bought an extra one from the company which made the kit but I was running out of time and instead had one made at a machine shop for $20. Once this problem was solved it was just a matter of attaching the hoses which led to the remote filter housing. My only worry is whether the rubber seals will take the pressure as I had to stack two of them so that they would stand proud so as to press against the 1/4 plate. I will find out tomorrow whether it works.

Again thanks for the response. I like your solution. It is very elegant and simple.
Starboardtack
Old 03-06-2013, 06:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboardtack View Post
Phorvati,
Instead I bought an $80 kit from NAPA . Unfortunately the new housing head that is supposed to take the place of the filter did not match the filter head of the perkins so I had a 1/4 aluminum plate placed between the two filter head housings. The only problem was the taping of the center of the Perkins filter housing so that a 3/4 inch nipple could be installed so as to draw the two housings together. Also Neither Napa or Auto Zone sold the nipple which canister filters screw onto. i suppose I could have bought an extra one from the company which made the kit but I was running out of time and instead had one made at a machine shop for $20.
Why didn't you use the original oil filter mounting flange? I would imagine 4-107 had one. There are very few difference between 4-107 and 4-108. This flange should be identical to my knowledge.
Also, under load when oil is hot is when failures occur. Things might seem ok at idle but don't be too confident that the gasket works. Mine blew at the worst time. I had to sail into a harbor of refuge after my gasket failed. My sister happen to be in the cabin, and noticed oil comming from under engine room bulkhead and on the cabin floor.
Old 03-06-2013, 17:38   #8

Phovati,
I have an older 4-107 which has a long narrow filter housing which was changed in later 4-107's and the 108. It is getting more and more difficult getting the narrow filters. Anyway, what I did seems to be working. It leaked at first but after tightening the oil tubing fittings and the housing sandwich it seems to be running clean. I will be watching it closely in the next months to make sure the gasket does not misbehave. Thanks for the warning.
Old 03-06-2013, 18:02   #9

Boat: Cooper 416

I just did mine. Other than the new hoses cost came to $110.00.
Part Details
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 13:24   #10

I had a similar accessibility problem when I repowered. I bought the remote oil filter kit (without hoses) from NAPA for $28. The problem came when I went looking for the hoses. According to Aeroquip, the hoses have to be rated for hot MOTOR oil, not necessarily just hydraulic oil. Once I knew what to look for, it was easy to find.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 14:01   #11

To All,
It has been a month or so since I installed the remote oil filter kit. Phorvati is right you have to watch the gasket sandwich. Mine began to leak a week ago. I tightened it up quite a bit and now it seems to be ok.

Starboardtack
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboardtack View Post
To All,
It has been a month or so since I installed the remote oil filter kit. Phorvati is right you have to watch the gasket sandwich. Mine began to leak a week ago. I tightened it up quite a bit and now it seems to be ok.

Starboardtack
Thanks,
I've been leak free since last year. I changed the oil in october. I put about 100 hours this season and oil level did not change on the dipstick. No oil in the bildge either. I had some leaks around the rear seal, but they turned out to be just loose screws after last years overhaul.
Old 09-08-2013, 15:08   #13

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Most of the remote filter adapters you see at the auto parts stores etc . use a 3/4-16 thread, the same as a Perkins spin on filter. Pretty much the same filter as an old Ford pickup too.
Got mine at Pep Boys ...works great!!!
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, remote