Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2013, 11:18   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Reducing Engine Noise

Our boat is in desperate need of some noise reduction, so I am curious to know if anyone has any special recommendations. Looks like there are kits available that are pretty reasonable, but didn't know if there is more of a DIY method that saves some $$? Thanks in advance!
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 12:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Reducing Engine Noise

It's not as effective as the quite expensive marine acoustical barriers, but for a huge savings, I would suggest that you look at the firewall mats made of spun fiberglass sandwiched between foil liners. These mats can be ordered from performance automotive shops by the roll (maybe 5' x 8'?) for as little a $1/sq. ft. When you're sealing all the surroundings of the engine room or box, be sure that you are permitting good vented air supply for the engine combustion.
Old 28-07-2013, 13:42   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

If you buy from Defender.com, the top of the line "Soundown" product is fairly reasonable for it's performance gains, although still expensive.

The key to getting a good result is to use it on as much of the enclosing surfaces as you can. Gaps and uncovered panels can defeat the gains of the covered areas pretty quickly. Also, make sure you use foil tape to cover all the exposed edges of foam. The foam will become friable over time and turn to a fine dust that your engine will really not appreciate in it's air intake.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 13:56   #4

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

There is a great way to reduce engine noise to a quiet barely noticeable hum..by converting to electric propulsion. Oh I'm on a roll today.
Next someone will ask how to stop that smell of diesel.

This was discussed some time back, i'm sure the thread can be found, but basically if you want to go cheap (like not going electric.. and DIY, go to the junkyard, and rip out the heavy rubber mats on the floor/firewall of cars, the more luxury model the better. Glue it to some super thin lightweight concrete board used for bathrooms, they have like 1/4in stuff, this will give you some fire protection and backing for the rubber,
and while your at it, put some aluminum foil on the inside to keep the heat away too.
And of course always ensure the engine has good ventilation in/out, but not in/out of your habitable space. Just my $0.03
Old 29-07-2013, 06:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=nimblemotors;1295815]There is a great way to reduce engine noise to a quiet barely noticeable hum..by converting to electric propulsion. Oh I'm on a roll today.
Next someone will ask how to stop that smell of diesel.

This sound like you are trying to sell electric motors.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote