Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2019, 11:50   #1

Boat: 36' Cape Dory
Recommendation for Racor 200 Replacement

Hi,

I have a small air leak in my fuel supply. Not sure where so I've finally decided to start replacing stuff.

My sailboat has a Racor 200 Series fuel filter/water separator.

Any recommendations for a replacement would be appreciated
vonchris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 12:40   #2

Boat: None
Re: Recommendation for Racor 200 Replacement

Racor 500. Hands down.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 14:14   #3

The most likely place for an air leak is at an injector or where a piece of hose is leaking air at a fitting because of a tiny crack in the rubber. If the hose is over 10 years old, I’d replace that before the Racor.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 15:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The most likely place for an air leak is at an injector or where a piece of hose is leaking air at a fitting because of a tiny crack in the rubber. If the hose is over 10 years old, I’d replace that before the Racor.
Thanks, CarlF. I don't see the leak on the high-pressure side (like at the injectors) as it would spew fuel instead of letting air in. I am replacing the hose before the Racor, good advice!

Regarding the air leak issue, I recently had to replace the fuel tank as it was gone after 38 years. Otherwise, I've only messed with the primary and secondary fuel filters (replacing both). The Racor 200 has a measly o-ring. So that was the gist of this query... recommendations for a replacement, if necessary.

The engine is a Perkins 4.108. The secondary fuel filter that is attached to the engine is a real bugger to get it to seal!! I've ordered a screw-on filter assembly from Foley Engines and hoping that's the only issue.

I know the fuel hose is at least 4 years old so I don't mind replacing it.

I appreciate your input here!!
Old 20-09-2019, 17:18   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
Hi,

I have a small air leak in my fuel supply. Not sure where so I've finally decided to start replacing stuff.

Any recommendations for a replacement would be appreciated
have you tried putting an outboard primer bulb or 12v fuel pump in the circuit to pressurise the lines? Wrap all the joints in toilet tissue& find the leak rather than replacing stuff unless you wish to anyway. I am pretty sure the fuel hose would be good for a fair while longer than 4 years as ours lasted for 36yrs on the Yanmar. Should have been replaced about 10 years before that I would say tho.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 17:46   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Thanks, CarlF. I don't see the leak on the high-pressure side (like at the injectors) as it would spew fuel instead of letting air in. I am replacing the hose before the Racor, good advice!

Regarding the air leak issue, I recently had to replace the fuel tank as it was gone after 38 years. Otherwise, I've only messed with the primary and secondary fuel filters (replacing both). The Racor 200 has a measly o-ring. So that was the gist of this query... recommendations for a replacement, if necessary.

The engine is a Perkins 4.108. The secondary fuel filter that is attached to the engine is a real bugger to get it to seal!! I've ordered a screw-on filter assembly from Foley Engines and hoping that's the only issue.

I know the fuel hose is at least 4 years old so I don't mind replacing it.

I appreciate your input here!!
If you just replaced your fuel tank start with what was replaced or disassembled and reassembled during the tank change. Start with the fuel pickup and the fittings on top of the tank. Most likely that is the source of your air leak.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 07:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
have you tried putting an outboard primer bulb or 12v fuel pump in the circuit to pressurise the lines? Wrap all the joints in toilet tissue& find the leak rather than replacing stuff unless you wish to anyway. I am pretty sure the fuel hose would be good for a fair while longer than 4 years as ours lasted for 36yrs on the Yanmar. Should have been replaced about 10 years before that I would say tho.
Hey, yep I have a primer bulb and use it all the time (lately) to bleed the lines.
Attaching a picture. I don't see any leaks with the lines under pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	200286  
Old 21-09-2019, 10:11   #8

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Best on the market. Unknown in boating circles.

DAVCO Technology
Old 21-09-2019, 10:42   #9

It may depend on the condition of everything else. I liked my Racor 200's but I guess they are no longer serviced...? The 500's are good but ridiculously expensive too for what they are. There are plenty of large spin on, diesel filters dirt cheap, with probably 3-5 times the filtering capacity of a 500. I would be tempted to go that way if I were starting fresh, had the room and knew I had a clean system. ... a lot of "If's" I guess!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filters.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	200298  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 13:46   #10

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

Our boat has a 200FG that needs new seals. At about $30 USD I've been considering replacing with a new Racor product at a similar price.The Racor Snapp is a similar size self contained filter with sight glass/ water drain but is
replaced in its entirety when due only the included bracket is re used.
There aren't many reviews yet as they're relatively new.

Seal sets are still available for the 200FG at
RacorStore.com ( "Re-Seller of Parker Racor" )
as well as complete 200FG units and filters.

Good Luck.
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 12:35   #11

Boat: None

The Racor 500 uses the lower cost filter elements. You can change the element with just your hands. No tools required. Filter change takes less than a minute. There is no draining required or a drip pan to catch the mess. You can change the filter without loosing fuel injection prime. It is way over sized for most sailboat engines. This is of primary importance when/ if you do have a 'fuel problem'. It would just about have to be completely blocked to starve a small sailboat engine of fuel. They cost a little bit more but are darn well worth it.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 13:06   #12

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Hi,

Any recommendations for a replacement would be appreciated [emoji2]
We have these on Redemption. They are easy to use and change out. We have a small pump before the filters to make filter changes a breeze. They also have good customer service.

https://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-do...iltration-kit/

For a good writeup on fuel filtration take a read.

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/marin...-seaboard-way/

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, racor