Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 01:32   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Rebuilding my engine cooling system

Now that's really weird. I get two polar opposite responses to the whole engine mounting thing. Some say that hard mount is the smartest and most reliable method, others say it causes problems as you do.

Either way, I am voting with comfort since we are not exactly intrepid explorers pushing the endurance of man and boat. I will be installing soft mounts ( vetus k100's from memory) but I have not yet ordered them as nobody could be certain of the engine and transmission weight. I have ordered a chain hoist strain gauge and will be weighing the engine next week before I reinstall it. Then I will the order the correct hardness mounts and install them AFTER I put the engine back in place. I figure it will be a much simpler task to make the new engine mounts if I remove the existing mounts one at a time and weld the new ones based on measurements made with the engine correctly aligned. Sadly the current mounts are not suitable unless I can get away with turning them upside down, but welding new mounts does not worry me, I recently fitted a Nissan RB30 motor our bus and the certifying engineer was very happy with the mounts I made for that 165hp donk. The diesel will need stronger mounts of course but I am pretty confident I can make something strong enough.

I already have a polyflex coupling and new PSS shaft seal so the existing hardware is compatible with soft mounts.

The jobs never really end, do they?

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
cooling, engine, rebuild