Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2021, 07:53   #1

Boat: Prout Advent
Rebuild or Replace New?

I've just bought a 1993 Prout Event with a Perkins Perama M30 Engine from 1993. I telephoned parts4engines in England a they said we STILL have the full rebuild kits. The "STILL" word worries me. Total rebuild just like new, or do put in a brand new Yanmar? I think there is a $7k difference. I got the boat $12k than the asking price, but the electronics are from 2003. What would you do and why. I'm deliberating and debating with myself.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:06   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Rebuild or Replace New?

1993-2021= 28 years
rebuild 2021

should last another 28 years. the "still" would not bother me too much

$7k in savings buys a lot of shiny new electronics/sails/etc.
marcjsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:58   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

X2 rebuild and put the savings into other things.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Total rebuild just like new, or do put in a brand new Yanmar? I think there is a $7k difference.
Is the $7k difference just the cost of the crate Yanmar? Does it include the changes to exhaust, cooling, throttle, transmission, drive shaft etc due to changing the engine model. What's the contingency for SNAFUs? My history of boat jobs remaining on budget and scope is not good. 😃

Rebuilding an existing engine seems far more predictable and can be as extensive or limited as the owner wishes
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:21   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

This makes four for rebuild...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:49   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I have the M50 version of this engine and my strategy is to keep it running as long as I can without a rebuild and then probably to replace when it gets to the point where it can't be kept going with normal maintenance alone. These are good engines but kind of odd birds. It's hard to find mechanics to work on them and many parts have to be imported from England, sometimes at considerable expense. If I had an older 4-108, Yanmar, or Kubota-based engine I'd be more inclined to rebuild as they are just better known and have better parts availability, but it feels like MXX series is on borrowed time as far as having a support base.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:12   #7

Is the Perama M30 the belt drive camshaft engine? If so, toss it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:12   #8

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

The M30 is based on the ISM 103-10, parts are widely available, hundreds of thousands were sold, many are still out there. Except for the color, forward of the bellhousing it is identical to the Volvo MD2030. You don't mention if the engine needs replacing: if it is running well, age nor hours are really not valid reasons for replacing it.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:40   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

What does the rebuild kit contain? I'd wonder about the crank journals needing machining.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:48   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

I'm also voting for the retain-old-engine option.

On a previous boat I decided to re-engine with a later model Yanmar engine but after looking at the modern version with all sorts of crap hanging off it went and bought a simpler industrial engine and marinized it.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:59   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Its a toss up. Depends on future spares availability. Whats wrong with the engine now anyway. I do know that if you plan ahead & buy soares for that engine now just in case, you will be unlikely ever to need those parts. It will be something else that goes wrong.
Do you know how many hours the engine has done?
Please pay attention to the chap who said engine replacement will cost more than you think…
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
I do know that if you plan ahead & buy spares for that engine now just in case, you will be unlikely ever to need those parts.
Or just buy a dead junker as a donor. Very handy should you come to need obscure brackets, covers or piping.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 13:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
This makes four for rebuild...
well I'm rebuilding my perkins as we speak, they are very good engines
like someone just said, new, may bring additional cost like installation prop shaft hoses wiring
The shop that is doing this job test ran the engine and did not deem it necessary to do a complete rebuild , just fuel pump overhaul in jectors oil pan gasket flywheel sprocket set valves
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 13:17   #14

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
I've just bought a 1993 Prout Event with a Perkins Perama M30 Engine from 1993. I telephoned parts4engines in England a they said we STILL have the full rebuild kits. The "STILL" word worries me. Total rebuild just like new, or do put in a brand new Yanmar? I think there is a $7k difference. I got the boat $12k than the asking price, but the electronics are from 2003. What would you do and why. I'm deliberating and debating with myself.
Congratulations on your new boat!!

1. You did not say how many hours are on the engine and what the engine survey reported. Need both to access whether to rebuild or replace the engine.
2. Why do the engine(s) require a rebuild or re-power?
3. What are the price quotes for an engine rebuild kit plus labor vs. re-power material and labor?
4. What electronics do you have and what condition are they in (working)?
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 13:44   #15
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
You don't say how many TOTAL hours are on engine and any issues you have identified that necessitate a rebuild/replacement. Haven't you heard that age is only a number?

All said and done the cheapest would be a rebuild. Now, are you knowledgeable enough to undertake such a task yourself? No? Then begin adding in the cost of labor to do a first class job. Note that a rebuild is only as good as the man doing the job...do you know someone you trust to do the best job? No? Then you will have to do your research to find that company/individual. Also note that it is common to see rebuild estimates increase once the mechanic has opened up the engine and begins to note other issues to you with the "...you know, while the engine is torn down it would be a good time to replace the xxxx as well as the yyyyy." Once the job is done you still have a 1993 engine.

Replacement is preferred but more costly, but you will have a 2021 engine. Before starting make sure your estimate includes all the other non-engine related parts that need to be changed to make it honest. Will you also change the transmission or risk going with the old original?

What is wrong with 2003 electronics...don't they work? Won't they take you from point A to point B? This year's electronics will be outdated next year! I don't care how old the stuff is but it must work and be reliable otherwise it is replaced/repaired.

There is no end to where you can spend money on a boat. You must be wise as to where the best places to put it to use.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild